1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

miles/kWh figure in Drive Monitor 2

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by heiwa, Apr 30, 2017.

1. heiwa

heiwa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I always thought the Drive Monitor 2 was a last drive session summary (Figure 1 below, showing after driving EV 3 miles on 4/29/17), but it is not (compared to Figure 2). Where is the 5.1 miles/kWh (in Figure 1) coming from? This 3 mile drive was the only drive of the day on 4/29/17. 6.3 m/kWh x estimated usable battery 5.7 (?) kWh = 35.91 miles, which was close to what the car was displaying before the drive.

Figure 1
    Monitor 2.jpg

Figure 2
    Daily miles per kWh.jpg
    Monthly miles per kWh.jpg

Attached Files:

#1 heiwa, Apr 30, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  2. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    See 1, and *1:

upload_2017-4-30_10-7-54.png

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    miles/kWh is a means of measuring efficiency for electric propulsion. kWh/100mi is another, for electricity.

gal/100mi is the appropriate measure for gasoline, not MPG... which is highly misleading and often used to greenwash.

Seeing that result of 5.1 is reason to celebrate. That's great. Many plug-in vehicles, aren't anywhere near that efficient. In fact, some actually guzzle electricity. That's why the new way to indicate usage is so prominently displayed in Prime. Results that nice are something to be proud of.

Keep in mind that Prime offers roughly 6 kWh of usable electricity from the 8.8 kWh battery-pack. Multiple that 5.1 by that 6, you get over 30 miles of estimated EV range.

priuscatprimeguy likes this.
  4. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm annoyed by part of this, and can't find a solution.

upload_2017-4-30_10-17-4.png

That display (lower right) is in MPG even if I'm in Ev mode. I'd like it to display Miles/kWh when I'm in Ev mode, but can't find a way to get it to do that.

5. heiwa

heiwa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I never did "Electricity Consumption Reset." Now, it make sense why the figure seldom changed from 5.1 (9024 cumulative miles on the car).

What had been confusing to me was the similar icon (car and a flag, not car and a plug of #1) is what I see below the speed when I start the car every day. It shows the total driving session miles from each power on. Moreover, #2 and #3 on the Drive Monitor 2 never need reset. I just assumed #1 was also the figure for each driving session...

Thank you for clarifying it for me! You must have a photographic memory, keeping all the details of OM in your head!

6. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yeah, right! I wish! I just searched the PDF for "Drive Monitor" and found that page.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  7. heiwa

heiwa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    John1701a, I totally agree. I am thrilled about the efficiency of Prime. What is even more astonishing to me is that it makes non-hypermiler such as my wife often a better hypermiler than I, simply by driving Prime at the posted speed limit or bit slower depending on the traffic. It seems Prime loves to be driven slow! I smile when traffic on Hwy is congested during my commute.

I've learned from this forum how misleading MPG figures are (Thank you!). My 2013 Leaf is doing 5.2-5.5 miles/kWh for my commute of 35-37 miles per day similarly driven. Sometimes I can get above 6 miles/kWh when the Hwy traffic is very congested. I understand that not everyone is motivated by environmental concerns, but often highly motivated by performance and/or economics. As I mentioned in other threads, I am with you, in that I respect Nissan and Toyota’s balance (more emphasis on efficiency than performance). Perhaps, in the future, we may not need to compromise between efficiency and performance when the technology advances, hopefully within our life time.

8. heiwa

heiwa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I too have not found a way to show current miles/kWh figure below the split option even when you choose miles/kWh meter. It must have been a simple oversight of Toyota. I am hoping that Toyota may give it to us when they do the next firmware update.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah the only way is to change the inset display to this:

upload_2017-4-30_21-0-41.png

All you get is a marker. You won't be able to get the exact value.

10. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    And that mark isn't for the current trip, it's since reset. So that's not what I want at all. I want the same thing I can get easily in Hv mode - average MPG for current trip, trip A and trip B. But none of them work for Ev mode.

Looks like an oversight rather than a bug. But I may report it as a bug.

heiwa and Tideland Prius like this.
  11. MNdriver

MNdriver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Speaking of hypermiling, will my learned skills on my gen 2 transfer well to EV driving?

12. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    No. Almost a direct opposite. No pulse and glide is the big one.

Smooth, gentle acceleration, smooth cruise avoiding power spikes (steady power over time beats peak power for a shorter time), gradual deceleration over time.

Prius from Dad and john1701a like this.
  13. heiwa

heiwa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I've observed how my wife drives, and that (no P&G) is the biggest difference between my driving and hers! She actually gets up to speed much quicker than I. As I said in post #7, she often gets higher MPG and ECO score! Mystery solved!

14. MNdriver

MNdriver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Oh, geez, I've got some retraining to do!

Prius from Dad likes this.
  15. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Hummmm, perhaps the 'score' has an anti-pulse and glide bias?

Bob Wilson

16. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    "Pulse and glide" strives to keep the ICE running in its most efficient range. This is meaningful for the non-plugin hybrid (or the plug-in once the traction battery is exhausted), since ultimately all the energy comes from the ICE. It is not meaningful in EV mode. Like was mentioned, smooth and easy is best when using the electric motors.

17. MNdriver

MNdriver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thank you! I'm going to have to unlearn it since I do P&G automatically now. Thanks for the info.

18. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Although, when you do run out of battery and go into HV mode, you "can" pulse and glide, but you don't gain much in the Prime like the previous gens because it already operates at a high level.

19. prairiedog53

prairiedog53 New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Just like to say in response to your mention of environment not being everyone's first concern.... just want to echo your concern...it is ours, far more important than savings at the pump and our "prime" motivation given the available options and all things considered. You won't catch us complaining about the pump savings though :)

#19 prairiedog53, Mar 11, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2018
    heiwa likes this.