1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

miles per gallon vs. miles per dollar

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jamarimutt, May 30, 2004.

1. victor

victor New Member

Gilching Bavaria Germany, & Drapanos, Crete, G
    No still imperial and 1 UK gallon is about 4.4 litres. Last time I went back to the UK, petrol stations were selling in litres, but still showed gallons. I guess they sell in ltrs to make it look cheaper :roll:

2. artie

artie Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    WHAT ABOUT A DIESEL PRIUS???
    i was recently in spain, rented a Seat, when time came, filled it up (with gas)...much to my surprise, it was a diesel. i didn't know the difference re performance, smell, noise, you name it.
    tho, in the morining when i started it i thought it sounded a bit like a diesel, but it never dawned on me that it WAS a diesel. great car...

3. assagor

assagor New Member

the "dirty deisel" image us Americans have is due to older generations of deisel engines. The newer ones used in europe are much cleaner, although they have high NOx and particulate. Biodiesel is the way to go since it is a renewable energy resource. Combined with an electric motor in a plug-in hybrid, and we'd have a beautiful combination of clean and green. One problem facing deisel hybrids, is that implementation of small efficient diesel engines would cost more to design and manufacture.

4. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

When gasoline approached $1 a gallon in Puerto Rico, adecision was made to switch to selling in liters in order to avoid having to alter the thousands of gas pumps that could not read over 99.9 cents a gallon. Everone's now used to liters. By the eay, the US is probably the only country in the world selling gasoline in gallons.

5. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Please don't tell the British that :)

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    In the long term, we have two choices:

1. Stop burning anything to propel our cars and power our industry; or

2. Render the Earth uninhabitable for our descendants.

However, since most of us are more concerned with our own pocketbook than with whether our great-grandchildren have an atmosphere they can breathe, we will continue to find creative excuses for why we cannot kick the fossil-fuel monkey off our back.

7. tms13

tms13 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Business Ed. Plus
    Why not? We don't really mind what units you lot use. :)

What is silly, though, is measuring fuel consumption in miles per gallon when miles per litre would be much more useful at the pump.

8. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well with all things being equal, the smaller the unit of
    measurement the more accurate the amount.