1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Miles to empty

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by eLRaLpHO31, Jan 2, 2020.

1. eLRaLpHO31

eLRaLpHO31 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    When I pump gas It usually show me that I get 412 miles to empty but yesterday it showed me that I was going to get 547 then the number kept drop really fast how do I fix that

2. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    You can’t fix it ,the computer does it

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You don't fix it. It is just a stupid blind estimate, a forecast that assumes the future driving conditions and MPG will be exactly the same as recent past conditions and MPG, which is almost never true for many of us.

Someone else had a similar question today, here is my response to him:
    My how many miles until the flashing light comes on is always different | PriusChat

My guess is that your previous tank had an unusually high MPG due to excellent conditions or a different-than-usual trip. Now you are back to normal driving conditions.

4. fmerkel

fmerkel Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    On the Nissan Leaf (electric) we call that function the [Guess-O-Meter]. It takes the most recent mileage estimate and projects that onto the current fuel level. As driving conditions change, so will the 'guess'.

If you want it to improve, there are driving methods you can learn to improve it. They are not necessarily easy, and take constant attention.

5. eLRaLpHO31

eLRaLpHO31 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    THANKS!!