1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"Miles Until Empty" unchanged when fuel added

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by RichPasco, Nov 29, 2013.

1. RichPasco

RichPasco Richard C. Pasco, Ph.D.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I have a 2010 Prius. Today when I was 70 miles from home, the miles-until-empty indicator said I had 65 miles worth of fuel left. Not wanting to chance it, I stopped at a filling station and put in a gallon and a half, which should have been about 70 miles worth. After I paid for the gas and pulled back onto the highway, the miles-until-empty said 65 miles of fuel left. I was surprised it didn't reflect the newly added fuel and show about 135 miles until empty. Can anyone explain?

2. wb9tyj

wb9tyj 2017 Prius Prime Advanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    If its anything like mine…you would have to put in at least 3 gallons of fuel before it would reset ...

3. RichPasco

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I don't understand what you mean by "reset." To me, miles until empty equals number of gallons in the tank times average mileage (47.5 mpg).

4. Eclipse1701d

Eclipse1701d Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    The sensor in the tank will not register the additional gas unless you add at least three gallons.

5. wb9tyj

wb9tyj 2017 Prius Prime Advanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    i mean that your fuel gauge and miles to empty calculation will not recalculate and your fuel gauge will not show more gas in the tank…unless you put at least 3 gallons or more in the tank…at least thats what mine does…only putting in 1-2 gallons won't register on the fuel gauge and there would be no new calculations…technically you are correct…miles left = mpg x gals left…so in reality your 1.5 gallons would increase your miles left…but the car won't register it because it was less than 3 gallons…but in reality you did increase your range a bit ….

6. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Interesting... I have always filled my tank up (no partials) completely and shortly after putting the car in D, the DTE would recalculate according to the new filled tank. I guess it doesn't recalculate without a full tank?

7. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Even if a fill up is under 3 gallons on a Gen 2, it will not show. (I think Gen 3 is 2 gallons)

8. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Your car is just fine, just fill-up when you get a chance and it will recalculate the DTE.
    Enjoy your car! :)

9. RichPasco

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I did fill it up today, and it did recalculate the DTE. Still, I wonder what [expletive deleted] engineer thought it would be a good "feature" to ignore gas purchases of less than three gallons and thus to display incorrect DTE. To me, that's not "just fine". It is inconsistent with the Prius' otherwise excellent engineering.

10. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No car that I'm aware of has a sensor that accurately measures the amount of fuel in the tank and reports it to the ECU. I doubt the Prius is any different. The sensor is in the tank to give a general idea of how much fuel remains and that is indicated by a fuel gauge to the driver. Calculations of DTE are done assuming a full and known quantity of fuel has been added to the tank.

Why would anyone bother with adding 1.5 gallons in the first place? The only time I've done that is when the only fuel available is expensive, and I want just enough to get to the cheaper fuel. When I do this, I multiply in my mind the amount of gallons I added by the MPG, and add to the existing miles remaining.

Regardless, the DTE information is always off by a wide margin, and should not be relied upon. My TSX shows 0 miles remaining when I have 100 left, or about 3 gallons.

11. RichPasco

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I thought my original post was clear: It was late Thanksgiving Day, and all the affordable stations were closed. The only one open before I got onto the freeway was very expensive, so I bought just enough fuel to be sure I could get home and then out in the morning to my trusted neighborhood high-volume, lower price station.

My DTE was showing 65 miles (a point at which I normally would re-fuel), and it was 50 miles home. I didn't trust that as a guarantee that I would make it. So I ignored the DTE and put in 1.5 gallons which would give me 70 miles, enough to accomplish my mission without regard to the DTE.

What good are instruments if you can't trust them?

12. jdk2

jdk2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The DTE is notoriously inaccurate across the entire line-up. Mine was stuck on 6 miles DTE for over 40 miles. After restarting the car the next day, it was then reading 8 miles DTE. As was stated earlier, it's just an estimate based on projected mpg. And I think it has more to do with the engineers adding some fudge factor into the programming to keep drivers from complaining they ran out of gas when the gauge was still showing miles left.

I'd be willing to bet that 65 miles showing on your gauge would have gotten you home and to the cheaper alternative with lots of room to spare.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    trust, but verify.

14. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The manual does note this behavior:

The likely reason for this is that the gauge is very inaccurate; if you get a ScanGauge or something similar, you can see the raw readout of the fuel level. It fluctuates a very large amount; easily a gallon or more, depending on whether you're accelerating/braking (the fuel is sloshing around), or if you're on a slope or not. The car gets around this by trying to average out the readings over a very long period of time. It might also take into account the fuel it knows you've consumed, for all I know. But it doesn't have a very good way of telling apart when you've added a gallon and a half compared to when the sensor reading is slightly different because you're at a different angle or the fuel is/is not moving around.

In any case, you should know that the DTE meter doesn't mean you're bone dry either; I regularly go up to 50 miles beyond the "0 mi" reading, and others experimenting here have found that the limit is in the vicinity of 100 miles (2 gallons). The manual also says that the minimum fuel required to turn off the low fuel light is 1.6 gallons, so there should be at least that much left, even according to the (certainly conservative) owners' manual, when the low fuel light turns on. That said, I wouldn't fault you for filling up anyway.

In a situation like this, where you bang up against the limitations of the instruments, you have to take into account the things you know to be true, and the limitations of the instruments; don't over-rely (or under-rely) on them. You wouldn't follow your GPS into a lake, would you?

Redpoint5 likes this.
  15. cary1952

cary1952 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'd be willing to bet that 65 miles showing on your gauge would have gotten you home and to the cheaper alternative with lots of room to spare.[/quote]

Me too! You will learn the innuendoes of your prius if you take the time to do so, professor.

16. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think you ought to work a few shifts in the car maker equivalent of Tech Support. That may provide an 'attitude adjustment'.

Fuel tank gauging is subject to much inaccuracy (cheap components) and variability (sloshing in tank). Consumption is very highly variable with conditions (engine warmup, speed, load, traffic conditions, wind, foul road conditions, elevation change in mountains, etc.). If DTE was figured as you want, then the tank will run dry 'prematurely' nearly half the time. And such events would be very strongly biased towards the most inconvenient conditions, such as foul weather.

Are you ready to handle hundreds of thousands of angry customers who were stranded on trips where DTE said there should have been enough fuel? Even if you are ready, the manufacturers feel otherwise. Thus a huge safety margin is built into the display. This doesn't actually prevent inattentive drivers from running out of gas, but it does remove any leverage to shift blame to someone else.

As a geeky engineer myself, I would like to see the same gauging accuracy you desire, but recognize that this would open up a hornet's nest of problems.

Redpoint5, jdk2 and dhanson865 like this.
  17. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So Prius has a minimum amount of fuel requirement before the gauge system resets.

The fact that it doesn't reset with "emergency" fills of less than 2-3 gallons is IMO more a testament to the having an extra gauge such as DTE and Cruising Range as opposed to poor engineering. Of course most vehicles I owned before The Prius had only the Full to Empty needle gauge. So the extra information in a Prius of a somewhat crudely estimated cruising range and DTE just seems like gravy.

I think you just have to reset your expectation not expect a reset.

I like DTE. I use it as my time to refill gauge. But it clearly isn't razor accurate. What I have found with just simple use is that especially when the tank get's low, the DTE can fluctuate, at any point less than 20 miles to empty I start to keep a close eye on it, because it can start to lose miles clearly out of sync with actual miles traveled. I've had it go from showing 9 miles remaining to Zero just driving less than a mile. Since on my Prius, once I reach Zero, I still seem to have a Gallon + of gasoline left, I don't see this as a flaw, just the reality of the gauge and sensor. In other words my expectation is not that the DTE is a perfect and exact reading, in fact since I fill up when it says Zero, I'm banking on the reality that it is NOT. If the reading was exactly accurate, I'd be in big trouble once the DTE reaches Zero, it seems to me it has clearly been designed to NOT be totally accurate and be conservative, as a safeguard against people running their Prius to empty.

It also seems to me that if you are adding as little as a gallon and 1/2 under emergency "Tide Me Over" until I can really refill it circumstance, simply knowing it takes at least 3 gallons for The Prius to reset is all you have to know.

Also it seems to me given how HSD works, expecting a DTE gauge to be entirely accurate is not sensible. Because HSD operates differently given a whole bunch of changing and sometimes unpredictable factors how can you predict how far you can go with a Prius and a gallon of gas? It depends on things as mercurial as outside temperature, and "how" you are driving the distance you want to drive. In other words DTE could calculate exactly how much gasoline is left in your tank, but it can't calculate or "predict" how you will be driving or what conditions you might be driving in over the next period. Are you going the next the 2-3 miles on mostly electric? Are you on the freeway and driving the Prius with the engine burning as much gas as possible? Is the engine warmed up and the outside temperature conducive to keeping the engine warm or is it cold outside causing the engine to turn on to stay warm more often? To expect a gauge that could know, predict and calculate all those variables to give you an exact and totally accurate DTE is IMO not a realistic expectation. By definition DTE is giving you a very crude and conservative idea of your distance to empty or cruising range, not a GTE or gallons to empty display. If it was a Gallons to Empty gauge? Then perhaps adding as little as a gallon and 1/2 of gas should be registered, but given that we are dealing with a DISTANCE to empty gauge, engineered to be conservative and keep people from running out of gas, I think the minimum 3 gallon requirement for reset is actually for most people probably a good safeguard.