1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Milestar MS932 Sport Tires

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by oldtechaa, May 13, 2019.

Tags:
  1. oldtechaa

oldtechaa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    N/A
    I wanted to share my experience with Milestar MS932 Sport tires. I originally had Michelin Defenders on my car when I bought it, but they were losing tread and I didn't want to go through the winter on them. I found these tires on Tires Easy for $42 each with free shipping, made by Nankang. They are warranted to 50k, although I care more about the UTQG score of 540. That is a great value compared to nearly every other tire.

I was concerned about the mileage dropping with such a cheap tire, especially versus the excellent Defenders. As I entered the winter with Defenders, I was at 48.2 and dropping. As I exit the winter with the Milestars, I am at 47.4 and climbing. Milestar rates the tires as a 9.5 for efficiency, I believe, and it seems to be accurate.

The traction is good; I haven't really lost traction anywhere I wouldn't expect it. I was running 40 psi, but I've now dropped to ~37ish. All-in-all, they are great tires in nearly every way, and seem to be holding up pretty well.

bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you can't beat the price!(y)

3. oldtechaa

oldtechaa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    N/A
    The only tires that I've found anywhere comparable in value are:
    • Yokohama AVID Ascends for $65-70 with 80k, 800UTQG and fewer installations to pay for over time.
    • Walmart Douglas tires, also around $44 with 480UTQG? with cheap installation at Walmart, but with unknown traction or rolling resistance, which could massively change the TCO.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yeah, i paid $130. for my michelins

5. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  6. HoyK

HoyK New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Have you tried the Waterfall Eco? How was the MPGs on these tires?

7. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nope. I have not tried Waterfall Eco on my PP yet. As crazy as it sounds in today's market, for me in the past 5 years, it has been cheaper to buy a new car than buy a set of tires since the time I posted about Waterfall Eco. Back then, I thought I would be keeping the 2017 PP I owned longer needing to buy a set of new tires to replace the OEM tires. I may give them a try if I keep my current car (21 PP) long enough to need a new set of tires, though I am doubtful that will happen from natural wear. I drive less than 6K miles/yr on my PP OEM tire now. I will be likely to be trading in the car before needing to replace tires on it.

#7 Salamander_King, Sep 12, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2022
  8. MCCOHENS

MCCOHENS Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I picked for performance instead of economy, got sumitomo HTR A/S P03 and love them. Getting mid 40s mpg and have yet to make them squeal. They just stick, makes the car handle great,