1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mini-VCI 1.4 vs 2.0 for 3rd gen (Techstream on the cheap)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by andreimontreal, Dec 11, 2019.

1. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    From what I read you get an old laptop with a non standard hardware obd2 interface. Clicking on the “Nano Toyota” seems they supply software for the hardware interface.

They then tell you to download a hacked Techstream version or pay Toyota for legal access. Same as the original mini vci interface clones.

IMG_2542.jpeg

The normal hack hardware interface:

IMG_2590.jpeg

#21 rjparker, Aug 15, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2023
  2. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Mac's! (y)
    I got a good deal the the XTool D8. I had gotten tired of farting around with losedoz. Horrible!

3. Mr. F

Mr. F Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Dealerships techs used a rugged industrial grade laptop to run Techstream. For a while it used to be a 14.5 lb Panasonic Toughbook, but they may have moved on to something else now. I do not think the Lenovo T410 was used at any point.
    upload_2023-8-15_19-7-12.png

Toyota only supports the Mongoose-Plus MC3 or the MongoosePro MFC2/MFC cables. Other cables may work too, you just won't get any support from Toyota if you run into issues while using anything else.

4. cegeddin

cegeddin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The most important thing I'm wanting is access to the engine codes that I can't get through the cheaper ODB interfaces and Torque. I'm not horribly worried about support from Toyota directly, I think, though I feel like I'm being dense about something. But if I can use this or that Xtool D8, I think that would be a win.

I also want to be able to do the key fob programming, which it looks like the Xtool can do?

I'm having an issue where brake/ABS/traction control lights are coming on, but not the check engine light, and I can't get codes from Torque and a Bluetooth ODB scanner. I'm looking for something that will pull those. I like the Xtool D8 bits that I'm reading so far, and it seems like I could use that for a variety of cars. Worth it if I can get access to all the codes the prius might throw, not if I can't.

#24 cegeddin, Aug 15, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2023
  5. cegeddin

cegeddin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This is looking better and better.

6. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I haven't had a chance to really use it yet. I did hook it up and looked at all the
    different sections. It's pretty fast! And seems easy to use. I wished I had a car with
    problems I could use it on.
    I'm about due for a brake fluid flush so that will likely be the first thing I use it for.

7. cegeddin

cegeddin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So far this thing is doing well! Think I'm going to attempt to replace the actuator and booster on my own using this to do the bleed and relearn. It looks like it can do to bleed, I haven't looked for the relearn yet.