1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mini VCI capabilities?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by BYUFam1, Apr 16, 2022.

1. BYUFam1

BYUFam1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    What are the capabilities of a Mini VCI?

Will I be able to reprogram a Skid Control ECU?

If not what would I need to be able to do that without paying a huge amount to a dealership?

I have removed the bad Skid Control ECU and ordered a used one to replace it but apparently will need it reprogrammed to work with this car...

Any help/ideas would be appreciated...

2. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    So far, I have gone to the dealer any time I have wanted an ECU reflashed. They generally charge about an hour of shop time. I don't know if that's what the OP means by "a huge amount", but to me it is worth it just to let it be their problem if anything goes wrong in the reflash and bricks the ECU.

I have two different dongles (a Mini VCI and a Tactrix that I spent more money on), but I would be wary of attempting a reflash with either of those, or probably anything other than the ~ $500 DrewTech dongle that Toyota officially supports.

If I tried, and the thing errored out early and just refused to start the process, I'd consider that a pretty lucky outcome.

4. BYUFam1

BYUFam1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I poked through several of those. I already read some of those in my searches before posting.

What am I missing? None of those are answering the question if this will give me capabilities to program a skid control ECU. My guess is that it only allows you to read codes for diagnostics but not program new ECU's otherwise I would guess some post would have stated it does do that.

So if that is a correct assumption...what would I need to program a skid control ECU?

5. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    First thing I would do is ask a service department if the ecu reflash is possible. If they can't do it the point is mute. Most people end up sourcing the correct part. It is a common problem as used sellers often do not know there is a difference.

6. BYUFam1

BYUFam1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    So what are the differences in parts if you are saying "source the correct part"?

Is there a separate code on ECU's outside part number? Maybe something hidden in the bar code?

A mechanic (not a Toyota shop) did tell me the skid control ECU needed replaced but they could not reprogram it in their shop. So my assumption from that amd other things I read suggests it can be. But I could be wrong.

7. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    duplicate post

#7 alftoy, Apr 17, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2022
  8. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Strawbrad seems to have experience with this issue

Skid Control ECU Issue (Resolved) | PriusChat
    https://priuschat.com/search/274785643/?q=skid+ecu&o=relevance&c[node]=12&c[user][0]=79180

TSB attached reprogramming ECU, may not pertain to Skid.

Attached Files:

#8 alftoy, Apr 17, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2022
    SFO likes this.