1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mini VCI causing Red triangle/CEL/ABS light

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Travis Davis, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Travis Davis

Travis Davis New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello,
    I just got a DoCooler mini VCI off amazon, and it seems to be operation weird. As soon as I plugged it in to the OBD port, all the lights came on the dash and it shut off the ICE. The MFD also had a warning sign. I thought it was odd that it did all this before even plugging it into a computer.

Anyways, I was able to successfully use the Cable to make it so my smart key will unlock all the doors, rather than just the driver door. But I am still abbot worried because my Check engine light will not go off. Also I want to add that the fuel gauge and all the shift lights were blinking for the duration of the mini VCI being plugged in. And after I unplugged it the engine idled very rough until I restarted the vehicle a few times.

All the lights on the dash have gone away except the check engine light. Surely I must be doing something wrong here?

Attached Files:

#1 Travis Davis, Apr 14, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It shouldn't do that. It sounds like the cable might be faulty. You will need to see if you can return it and get a replacement.
    What was the warning sign?

valde3 likes this.
  3. Travis Davis

Travis Davis New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A car with an exclamation point through it

4. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm pretty sure I saw a warning once not to plug in or unplug a scanner cable with the ignition on.

5. Travis Davis

Travis Davis New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes I believe you are correct. I did try plugging it in with the car off, then turning the car on.

Here are the codes I case anyone is interested.

Attached Files:

6. andrewclaus

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Was the check engine or any other warning light on before you plugged in the scanner?

First time you used the scanner, did you plug it in with the ignition on, engine running?

7. Travis Davis

Travis Davis New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Never had any codes before using the scanner. First time I plugged it in was with the engine off I believe.
    I was able to clear the codes using a Bluetooth obd scanner and they haven't come back. I still want to know why this is happening tho.
    The cable itself seems to work fine. It just makes the dash go crazy.

8. andrewclaus

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Your OP says, "As soon as I plugged it in to the OBD port, all the lights came on the dash and it shut off the ICE." Your post above says you "believe" the engine was off.

I'd try the cable again, after booting up the computer and connecting to the port when the car is off.

9. Travis Davis

Travis Davis New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like Dolj was correct. I ordered another one off Amazon and it works perfectly now. Just incase anyone is having this same problem.