1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mini VCI support for 2004 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by MotorisedRollinghams, Sep 21, 2019.

Tags:
  1. MotorisedRollinghams

MotorisedRollinghams Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi everyone,

I am trying to debug some issues with my 2004 UK Prius related to the alarm continually going off. I have read it's possible to disable the alarm using techstream/mini-vci. That might work as a stopgap. So I want to buy a mini-vci kit.

However I did previously buy a mini-vci kit off ebay and found that there some something about it that didn't support some gen 2 prii, including my own. I seem to remember it being that some extra bus or protocol is required for 2004 and earlier. However I didn't make a note of that detail was and now I've forgotten.

Did something about the OBD2 protocols change mid-generation with the Gen 2 Prius? Or am I just remembering wrong?

Thanks!

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm going with you are just remembering wrong.

As far as I'm aware, there were no changes to the bus or protocols.

More likely case, was the particular piece of kit was defective and wasn't working completely. I'd recommend you spend a bit more and buy the VxDiag for Toyota cable, directly from the VxDiag website. These seem to work more reliably.

3. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Gen2 Prius use the K line much more than later Gen3+. A mini-vci that doesn't support the K line will do most things you'd want to do on Gen3+, but not on Gen2.

The Drew Mongoose is the standard that the Chinese knockoffs try to copy. It works.