1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mining Operation Goes Electric

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by iplug, Aug 14, 2018.

1. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Excited to see perhaps the very beginnings of the transition from diesel mining beasts to electric with this mining operation; hopefully to become a rapidly growing trend:

...The machine weighs 60,000 pounds and runs non-stop on a giant cord. It has a 75-kwh sodium nickel chloride battery to buffer power demands and to move the drill from one part of the mine to another.

This electric rock-chewing machine removes the need for the immense ventilation systems needed to clean the emissions that diesel engines normally spew beneath the surface in a conventional mining operation.

These electric devices improve air quality, dramatically reduce noise pollution, and remove costly maintenance of internal combustion engines, Goldcorp says.

More importantly, when these electric boring machines are used across the board, it will eliminate the negative health effects those diesel drills have on miners...

Canadian gold mine cleans up its act with electricity

bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow, that is an amazing machine!

i have owned a few sandvic tools over the years, not quite like that beast.

#2 bisco, Aug 14, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I worked at an open pit mine from 1988 to 2002. There were two underground mines on the property, but I was never myself underground.
    (In 1988, 75 ton trucks, in 2002, 280 ton trucks. The shovels also grew)

We went through several generations of equipment as the extent of the ore body was discovered, but I remember these:

P&H Electric Rope Shovels - Surface Mining | Komatsu Mining Corp.

Poles in tires followed them around the pit.

960E-2K | Komatsu America Corp
    This is the larger truck currently sold by Komatsu that offers trolley, we actually used trucks 170 tons smaller when I was there.
    We had 4.5 miles of trolley to get the trucks out of the pit, they then used diesel to go where they would.

Our pit was 3000 feet deep and air inversion layers would cap the fumes inside and not let them disperse. To reduce the fumes both the shovels and the trucks used electric power. (They own a Natural gas 115 MW electric power plant in Nevada) most other rolling stock remained diesel.

On diesel, the trucks could only go about 8 MPH up the ramp, on electric, 13 MPH. (And as the drivers figured out sometime in the first two hours, using both 15 MPH. This does still cut the fumes in half, as they get out twice as fast)

Pictures Trolley Photos

For the truly adventurous, they are experimenting with autonomous trucks now.

Barrick retrofits five Komatsu trucks with ASI autonomy kits at Arturo JV in Nevada - International Mining

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It is kind of surprising closed mines haven't all switched to electric equipment, since the open mines have been using electrics, whether a series hybrid or on a tether cable, for decades now. Of course they went electric because electric drive is the only practical means of motion with vehicles of that size. Some drag lines are so large that axles can't support them, and they walk around on huge metal stumps.
    [​IMG]