1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Minnesota EV and Hybrid surcharge proposal.

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by farmecologist, Feb 22, 2019.

1. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Apparently there is a proposal in the Minnesota legislature to place a yearly surcharge on hybrids and EVs. Basically similar to what Wisconsin did. The good news is that this seems to be a counter to the MN governors ( Tim Walz ) proposal to raise gas taxes. And I highly doubt this surcharge proposal would get past the governor's office.

Here is an article on it :
    Minnesota Republican-backed tax on hybrid and electric cars would be highest in U.S. – Twin Cities

And here is a Reddit thread on it. I've posted a couple replies. It wouldn't hurt to get some PriusChat'ers in there too. (y)

http://www.reddit.com/r/minnesota/comments/athahi/there_is_a_proposal_to_charge_mn_ev_and_hybrid/

Edit: Anyone know how to post a Reddit link? PriusChat keeps 'eating' it.

#1 farmecologist, Feb 22, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  2. farmecologist

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Reading thru the Reddit thread it appears that far too many, including politicians, lump hybrids in with plugins and EVs and forget the fact that hybrids are gas only vehicles. I find that rather amusing. (y)

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  3. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    IveI'eatched this topictclose forany years.
    Interestinly, Wisconsin lawmakers may have thought they put a fee on hybrids, but they actually didn't.

When reading the laws carefully, you will find they only added the fee for EVs and PHEVs.

And an even funnier note, they put a mechanism in place for collecting the EV fee, but somehow no mechanism for collecting the PHEV fee.

It's been over a year now. We'll see how long before they catch on.

HPrimeAdvanced and farmecologist like this.
  4. farmecologist

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II

Ok I knew they were considering surcharging gasoline hybrids but I guess I never read the final law. That is 'better' than also surcharging gasoline hybrids...but obviously still flawed.

The funny thing over on the Reddit thread is that people seem to automatically lump in gasoline hybrids with PHEVs and EVs. I have to keep explaining that that because gasoline hybrids are powered only by gasoline...they are not the same as PHEVs and EVs which need or have the option to use an outside source of electricity. Some of them won't give in though...I get the "but..but it's electric!" excuse. :eek:

I also have to explain that just because a vehicle is a gasoline hybrid in no way means that it will automatically get 'better MPG' than ICE vehicles...and therefore why surcharge? Frustrating...but eye opening. I didn't realize how uneducated people are on this stuff! A lot of preconceived notions that really scream of 'hybrid hate'.

5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes I have been fighting this for some years....In Virginia, we got the hybrid tax removed.

Unfortuntately, however, looks like 2018 was bad year and many (red?) states are now pushing through a tax on gasoline hybrids. In most cases fairly modest under $50/yr.

We need to educate lawmakers that there are 3 variations: Hybrids, plug-in hybrids, and BEV's. The latter 2 categories have some merit for extra tax. The auto companies (Toyota etc) have also tried to prevent this tax on Hybrids but some lawmakers are not listening.

We have no lobby for hybrids, and Plug-in America is not helping hybrids. One time I joined PIA in hopes of getting support but no luck.

I can send someone my priors letters to Tennesee and Idaho if it helps. Seems like I helped a little in Tennessee.

#5 wjtracy, Feb 23, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  6. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would be interested in the letters

[email protected]
    Eric Powers

The reality is that hybrids have been politicized.
    So taxing hybrids is basically a stand in to sticking it to liberals. And there are plenty of folks who want to do that.

Additionally, most hybrid owners are completely apathetic when it comes to this issue.

I have talked about this for years and noone is really willing to rally the troops to push back against this prior to it being implemented.

Once implemented, they may complain about it, but it still will not spur them to action.

Trollbait and farmecologist like this.
  7. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Reading through the Redit shows a lot of stupidity, folks who worry about a little BEV driving 5000 miles a year not paying a “fair share” seem to be fine with Taxis, Semis, Forestry equip and cement trucks not paying road tax.

They also falsely believe there is no point in increasing gas taxes because cars are slightly more efficient which is the ultimate in stupidity.
    We also like to ignore the fact that even though annual tons of freight shipped across our nation hasn’t really increased much in 30 years, the amount of semi and delivery vehicle traffic has still increased exponentially, perhaps that might be why roads are wearing out faster?
    Perhaps the entities causing the wear should pay the upkeep?

The DMV needs about $$$ 5 million in upgrades to properly identify and track the 2000 affected hybrids correctly, that cash was never appropriated, lets hope it never is.

What people don’t understand is that if hybrids are taxed it won’t just be the Prius, newer green-washed cars & trucks with start stop will pay the same tax as they are also hybrids. I’m sure Ram owners will gladly pay the fee.

I would recommend the op place a freedom of information act request to obtain the number of EVs titled in Minnesota for their roads,
    even though that state is more progressive than Wisconsin based on previous numbers you still likely have under 10,000 plug ins on your roads which when taxed wastes more money than it collects for roads. Which by the way would only pay for a few miles a year.

Then organize and publicize the number, how many miles of road it would pay for and how Wisconsin’s EV sales plummeted after their “smaller” tax passed.

If MN wants to tax BEVs they should understand how much tax BEVs already pay
    Ex.
    (identify the percentage of your electric bill that goes to the hidden municipal substation taxes,etc,;
    So yes your utilities sometimes pay a large percentage of your fees paid back to the government general fund in a variety of forms)

They should also understand how they might peg EV electric consumption to gas taxes so they are 1:1 , this would be remotely measurable (my Volt reports kwhr consumption back to big brother already)
    and make all cars be on a level playing field in terms of energy taxes.
    AKA if 33.7kwhrs is equal to a gallon of gas than it’s tax rate should be clear.

#7 Rmay635703, Feb 23, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  8. farmecologist

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    The good news is I'm pretty sure this surcharge will never get through the MN legislature. This surcharge was basically proposed by a GOP representative to counter to our new governor's proposal to raise the gas tax ( BTW the new governor is a democrat ).

The reason the surcharge went through in Wisconsin ( I think ) is because the GOP completely 'owned' the Wisconsin state government until just recently. I hate say it but Wisconsin has been the poster child for some very shady stuff lately. Thank god Evers was elected to provide some balance...but there is a lot more work to be done. Didn't the Wisconsin legislature also do all sorts of shady stuff to limit Ever's power? You Wisconsin residents certainly know more than I do about it though.

This is getting close to a political discussion...but the sad truth, as mentioned above, is that hybrids and EVs really have become politicized. I'll knock it off now. :whistle:

Prius Maximus and HPrimeAdvanced like this.
  9. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wisconsin hybrid owners have heard of this coming for many years, but they have not organized to oppose it.

More fees will likely keep coming until someone takes time to organize opposition.

10. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Let’s not exaggerate Evers influence. Doing so makes it more likely he will be a one hit wonder, cause “he isn’t doing anything “ so let’s get him out. Democrats in this state are very divided and easily butt hurt over the smallest thing and use that as a reason to either not vote or to vote for someone wholelly incompetent

Despite Wisconsin being about 2/3 Donkey by population
    our government from school boards, town boards on up is a vast sea of red and has been mostly red since the 1980’s

Any time a single blue guy enters the room it enables at least 50 years of complaints about how everything that was already terrible was because of that one guy that just entered office.
    A $1 a gallon gas tax increase has been going around the republican assembly and that republican bill was used as a Evers will pass a $1 a gallon gas tax during campaigning. Evers is even being blamed for foxcon failing.

There have been many illegal activities occurring within our state and local governments for many years, making people aware of who and why and the resulting consequences that affect them personally is a futile chore, even our redistricting activities are illegal. Heck we even eliminated the government accountability board so we have zero transparency into claims made by the government.
    As a state we never hold those actually responsible accountable.

Getting awareness and people to care is nearly impossible and usually when they do care, they make up some nonsense to do the wrong thing.
    Like farmers complaining about poor farm policies and the removal of farmer welfare when the guy they keep voting for had such actions as apart of his public platform .

You would think as a state we would do something different at least once
    but nah, let’s complain about it but keep doing exactly the same thing over and over,
    then blame folks not yet in office or that died 40 years ago for the mess.

#10 Rmay635703, Feb 24, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    HPrimeAdvanced and farmecologist like this.
  11. farmecologist

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    I know what you are saying. However, 'hybrid surcharges' have been introduced in other states and they *always* seem to be down party lines. Coincidence? Maybe...but it certainly makes one think the motivations.. And then it gets politicized by the various factions.

As for Evers, I have a bad feeling about it. Evers is a basically a tiny bandage on a huge wound. How exactly is he supposed to get anything done when the legislature is riding his butt over every tiny thing he proposes? I don't have a good feeling about it at all..but that is how the GOP operates in Wisconsin..and frankly, they win because of it. Until they take a major loss ( i.e. - dem legislature ) I see the same old thing happening over and over...like you said. BTW - Tim Walz is going to have a similar problem here in MN. Unfortunately, fractured government is the way it is these days..not good at all. :(

12. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here was my (unsuccessful) letter to Idaho, but in the case of Tennessee the legislator actually sent me an email back thanking me.

Dear Governor Otter-
    The issue of fees for hybrid cars in Idaho has come to my attention.
    I was active in the repeal of the Virginia Hybrid Fees. Here is my view on it:

First of all, we have to define our terms:

There are 3 classes of electric drive vehicles-
    (1) Hybrids (100% gasoline - no tax credits for purchase)
    (2) All-Electric Plug-Ins (100% electric - large tax credit for purchase)
    (3) Plug-In Hybrids (Gaso+Elec - large tax credit for purchase)

Regarding 100% gasoline fuel hybrids, it is unfair to punish regular Hybrids for extra taxes. For example, as you know, you will end up with 25 MPG hybrids (eg; Highlander Hybrid) being taxed extra, and 25 MPG non-hybrids not being taxed extra.

In Toyota's words, the fuel taxes should be "technology neutral" within the 100% gasoline fuel class. In other words, why charge a hybrid extra, but not charge an aluminum F150 extra? It should be immaterial what's under the hood, as long as the vehicles all fuel up at the same gas station.

If you want to say all higher MPG cars owe more fuel taxes, that's a fair approach (assuming the system is properly designed). A fair system has been suggested in New Hampshire, where there is a proposal to tax all cars over about 25 MPG with an extra fee, prorated by MPG. Basically keeping everyone even on fuel tax. But I assume that might be a difficult argument to make to the public.

As far as electric plug-ins, there is a general consensus that a modest fee is reasonable. That's a different story. Plug-ins are using alternate fuel and it is fair to ask them to contribute to avoided road taxes. I am not a plug-in owner, but if present, they would ask for the courtesy of lower fees for the short term to help get the new technology started.

In Virginia we do charge a modest fee to Plug-Ins. Our ill-designed hybrid fee was revoked after 1-year.
    As far as I know, Idaho is only U.S. state with a fee for 100% gasoline hybrids.

Regards, Bill in Virginia

Raytheeagle and Rmay635703 like this.
  13. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Most states have a VADA equivalent (Virginia Automobile Dealer Assoc.) and often times if the state in enacting hybrid fees, it means they did not consult with the ADA to see if they agreed with it.

So one approach is to call up to find the Toyota person on the ADA, in the case of Virginia it was Koons Tysons Corner VP on the committee, and they can work it from politics side.

#13 wjtracy, Feb 24, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    Trollbait likes this.
  14. farmecologist

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II

Interesting..so Idaho does surcharge gasoline hybrids then?

15. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup last I knew...but I am thinking several more states also started in 2016 and 2017, and maybe another 4 or 5 last year 2018, including SC

16. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    C449CAEE-67A6-4604-A61D-1CBAE2F372FB.gif
    Anyone have an updated version of this 2018 map?
    The original Wisconsin “Prius tax” from 2008 would have included

Start stop
    Hybrids
    CNG/“Alternative fuels”

Thankfully it was killed by the economic downturn and a change in governors who had something to prove
    which made any tax increase (even one for electric) too unpopular to pass.

Sadly the lifetime politicians pushing it didn’t go away and used their first opportunity to pass a portion of the tax.

wjtracy likes this.
  17. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I hate the idea of being surcharged on my PRIME, but at the same time if money has to be raised to cover the cost of road maintenance, I am willing to pay equitable share. That said, the best way to do this is not to surcharge EV and PHEV or any other fuel efficient vehicles, but change the collection mechanism all together based on miles driven for each car. I would think yearly registration fee when you must report the odometer reading is the best opportunity to collect additional fees based on the miles driven.

Trollbait likes this.
  18. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes that map (perhaps you posted it a few weeks ago or someone else did) was the first clue I have that so many states have started taxing hybrid HEV's.

I couldn't believe it, but I checked on SC and it seemed to be correct. I knew ID and MI but I did not realize the flood gates had opened on taxing hybrids..

19. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here is UTAH:
    Advocates fume as new fee on clean fuel vehicles in Utah kicks in Jan. 1 | Deseret News

well $10 gets to be minimal, but if the purpose is fuel tax replacement, it is discrimination since we are just using gasoline like everybody else, in some cases like a RAV4 you are not getting unsual high MPG, so why should a RAV4 hybrid owner be charged $110 extra over the life of the car versus RAV4 gasser?...That's smaller but some states like ID are $75 so it gets to $800 or so addon, and you are already paying $4000 or so for the hybrid version.

PS- Really what we need is a federal policy, if you want to get get your road funds from the Uncle Sam, though shalt not discriminate against certain models of cars if they all use the same fuel. If it's alternate fuel vehcile then some fee is warranted but there should be some guidelines there too.

#19 wjtracy, Feb 25, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  20. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    The trouble is that people have no motivation to own a fuel efficient vehicle if you tax all consumer vehicles by weight and miles. Such a law would mean only suburbans, full size vans and pickups would be on the road. Cars would cease to exist because they would cost too much to operate.

The former proposals offered on this front have made it so driving my 60 mpg Honda Insight is basically the same cost per mile as an F150 or more than a 25mpg Miata. Why own such a car when the fee costs more than the fuel?

In reality we need to do the opposite and tax the living $*** out of trucks and gas guzzlers and reduce taxes to almost nill on very small or very efficient cars following a bell curve, the only way to approximate this would likely be a gas tax increase plus an annual economy/miles surcharge . Trouble is unless you get the economy charge up front it will likely not get paid, leading to collections issues.

Otherwise why would anyone own an EV or a small car if the price per mile is the same?

And yes cradle to grave the good of society would be served better by more little cars like smart cars and more EVs.
    Larger vehicles drive a lot more cost of infrastructure, more traffic jams, more cement parking, More sunk resources up front, more pollution, more collision damage and many costs born by society that small cars (regardless of their weight ) don’t drive.

If we’re going to change the game we need to be wholistic and change things so we can start reducing infrastructure costs as well. Not to mention motivate people to own different vehicles, ongoing costs of operation can do a pretty good job thinking back to $4+ Per gallon gas prices.

There are too many hidden costs of everyone plugging up infrastructure with land yachts

#20 Rmay635703, Feb 25, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2019