1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Minnesota HF65 defeated thanks to dealerships

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by jayman, May 23, 2008.

1. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    As some of you may know, I have been engaging a certain forum member who proudly displays a link to a bullcrap pseudo-science "fact" site sponsored by Minnesota car dealerships. It's called "Don't Take My Truck"

DontTakeMyTruck.com

in response to the proposed HF65 to adopt California emissions standards. I really think it's cute that the FUD-masters actually got folks to believe that somehow people in California could dictate what giant pickup or SUV a person in California could drive. Of course, car dealerships *never* lie to folks, right?

Revved-up emissions rules hit resistance

Where exactly does any measure by CARB or any other emission agency specifically tell you WHAT sort of vehicle to drive? Where are the facts supporting this bold assertion?

It seems the environmental group Fresh Energy is the target of criticism

Fresh Energy - Leading the Transition to Clean Energy

I spent some time snopping around the FUD-master Minnesota dealership site, and would like to comment on a few "facts" that are stated

Facts

1: Car company whining about not reaching goals. Well, they also whined in the early 70's about things like EGR and catalytic converters. Seems we worked that out

2. Very effective bait-and-switch (California has the worst air quality in the nation, inferring that California emissions are to blame). Matter of fact, the air quality in California has dramatically IMPROVED despite a huge increase in transport miles

Background Material: California's Air Quality History Key Events

3. The Climate Change link at the bottom of the "facts" page. Good for a chuckle

I'm not sure what disappoints me more: car dealerships and other special interest groups can ram their agenda through, with no regard to health and safety; or, that apparently there was no effective counterpoint to the car dealership FUD-spin

I say we immediately dismantle the EPA. Require every person to cut the catalytic converter off their vehicle. Oh, and no more reformulated gas, we should return to leaded, it's "better" for us

That felt better.

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I will refrain from assuming everything you posted is legit and I do not have the time to do the research you did but I thank you for doing so and posting about it.

Since I've researched many other similar organizations I know that this kind of crap happens every day and many people buy into the BS because it fits their particular worldview or political stance and they do not take the time to fact check. It is a very sad state of affairs. Thankfully you can usually spot the errors rather quickly and the people who hold these values dear and support such organizations are usually clueless.

3. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Actually, first I heard of it the battle was already lost. I don't live in Minnesota, but there doesn't appear to have been much resistance to the FUD site set up by the Minnesota dealerships

4. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    None of this will matter as long as gas continues to go in the opposite direction of the dollar.

5. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Very true, and god help us if OPEC should dump the dollar for the Euro

At the rate things are going, market forces - steeply rising fuel prices - will do far more to "take away" pickups and suv's, than any proposed emissions standard

I still find it hard to believe that when I bought my Prius, oil was 1/3 what it is currently trading at. We had a hard time justifying our purchases in the era of $2/gal gas

6. tnthub

tnthub Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    California emmissions are fine for new vehicles. However they have the reverse effect when trying to make an older vehicle more fuel efficent... Non-stock items can be a reason to have a vehicle impounded in CA...

Basically, the rules need to be "fixed" before the madness goes any further.

7. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I agree with most of that, but what effect would stricter T2B5 standards have on whether a vehicle can be sold in Minnesota? I see plenty of trucks and suv's in California, so the stricter CARB standards have not impacted those sales

The problem I have is with FUD that has little to no basis in reality. Say what you want about California emissions, but the air quality in every major urban area is one hell of a lot better than it was in the early 1970's

Locally, the ones who are really starting to piss me off are the redneck turbodiesel truck nuts. They use a tuner to flash a different fuel map, so everytime the traffic light turns green, there is a *huge* cloud of black smoke from the pipe

These nuts also claim the cloud of black smoke is harmless

Getting back to Minnesota, it's probably a moot point with the defeated bill. Higher fuel prices will probably do more to keep pickups and suv's off the roads than any proposed emission standard

8. tnthub

tnthub Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We have CA emissions here for new vehicles. It is a good thing. I am all for holding the manufacturer's feet to the flames to have better fuel economy and cleaner air. The owner of our local Toyota dealership went to Washington to lobby FOR California emissions in Maine as he is an environmentalist.

Sales will not tank because of CA emissions except for maybe a few dealerships on the border of Wisconsin where people will cross lines to buy something.

There will always be a type of person who will do something obnoxious... The fuel maps that can be changed to create a cloud of black smoke can also be changed to produce better fuel economy. You can't fix ignorance.

I have one computer for my Camaro that allows me to get 30mpg on the road, and another one that allows me to run the quarter mile in 11.5 seconds... It takes five minutes of less to change them. There is no government regulation on what someone can do with their computer and it also is not visible on a "spot check" without some very expensive equipment.

In Maine, things like putting on taller tires for better fuel economy of numerically lower gear ratios for better fuel economy are illegal. In California it is even worse as they will just impound a vehicle.

Despite my wish that everyone would at least make an effort to save fuel and tune their vehicles for cleaner air it just isn't going to happen until newer and more efficient vehicles become affordable to people with less financial means.

Maine is a "poor" state in that we have a high tax rate, low per capita income, and a high percentage of people are on state aid. These folks do not drive fuel efficient or environmentally friendly vehicles and many of them are still paying for last winter's heating oil.

9. amsole

amsole New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Jayman: the Minnesota bill requires Minnesota to adopt language "identical" to that written by the California Air Resources Board. So, yes, it does allow California to "dictate" what's allowed in Minnesota. Under the bill, Minnesota must conform to whatever California comes up with. How do my representatives here in Minnesota represent me, if they are required to just conform to the dictates of Californians, who I do not get to vote for? Its crappy public policy. The federal government needs to handle this issue, not individual states.

10. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If through some miracle the EPA adopted the CARB standard would you be railing against the Feds telling you what to do instead of your state's legislators? Is your state willing & able to pick up the healthcare tab because you want to breathe dirtier air? If the Feds did their job there wouldn't be a need for CARB.

11. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Welcome, Junior Member

Please name one vehicle that is available in Minnesota, that is not available in California

I've never understood the reluctance of adopting stricter emissions standards to protect human health. The FUD - and downright ignorance - cranked out by the Minnesota car dealership association is downright scary. I guess with a cripling global recession, most of them will soon be bankrupt anyway

There are an amazing number of s***boxes on the roads of Minnesota, thanks to no mandatory I/M program. Almost as many dangerous, high emission s***boxes as we have here in Manitoba. Of course, thanks to No Fault, and communist car insurance run by the province, if some retard in a s***box loses his brakes and runs over a family member at a clearly marked pedestrian crosswalk in Winnipeg, that retard will never spend a day in jail, or pay one red f****** cent in punitive damages

Perhaps if people in Minnesota want to drive used up, rusted out s***boxes, they should just move to Manitoba.

There is now hot debate up here for the new Conservative government to adopt California emissions nationwide. I'm all for it, it would help get a lot of dangerous cars off the road.

Manitoba recently introduced random spot inspections for heavy trucks. At first, a scary 60% of trucks were immediately taken out of service after the spot inspection. I guess things like working brakes, safe steering, tires that didn't have the cord showing through, were considered a luxury by most heavy duty fleets here

Even with this program, almost 1/4 of heavy trucks still fail the random roadside spotchecks. So Manitoba needs to step up random checks of heavy trucks, and introduce mandatory I/M for personal cars/trucks, to get the dangerous and polluting vehicles off the road

12. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Jayman, In NJ fleet owners can self inspect. All that maintenance & safety stuff eats up the bottom line so the state police deploy spot inspection units. No thought to mandating state inspections though.

13. b2j2

b2j2 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My understanding is that the reason (generally) for other states referring to CARB standards is that California was "grandfathered" as a setter of standards when federal standards were adopted. Thus Maine and other states could adopt the CARB standards by reference and enjoy the same level of prescription without having to go back for another exemption (with massive supportive date for whatever different deviations were being requested). Thus only two sets of standards rather than (potentially) 50 or more. The California market by itself was thought large enough to justify whatever the difference in pollution control measures. States with CARB standards may represent a majority of market population (perhaps someone could add them up).

California was faced with drastic pollution reduction mandates, and vehicle pollution was a juicy target. (I worked a bit on early studies that found nearby traffic volumes to be correlated with measured pollutants on a daily basis).

14. slickQUICKprius

slickQUICKprius I'm awesome!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wait, so if I wanted to take a road trip to California would I be able to drive my car there or would I have to get it tested? I'm glad Minnesota didn't pass the law, because I don't want to have to get tested there too.

If someone could send me a reply or something to let me know, please do. I've always wanted to visit LA. I'm going to dinner now, but I'd still like to know as I'm planning early for my summer vacation