1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Minor accident, how to proceed with repairs

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by ak907, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It sucks, how "minor accident" morphs into $3500 to $5000. I wouldn't doubt too, all the quotes will end up higher when it's all done.

I just pony up for collision insurance, year-after-year. A little bit of yearly pain, but I think it works out, we've had our share of claims. Obviously, the insurers are going to come out ahead, or they wouldn't be in business. But I'm ok with the annual premiums, and paying the deductable.

2. ak907

ak907 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yeah. This certainly sucks and I get why comprehensive for most works best. I have been running no comp for close to a decade though and with it I would be paying 2.5x what I currently pay. Just with this newly acquired car in the last ~2 years have saved ~1840 off of insurance by not having it. So long as I convince myself to look at it that way, things like this are the price of driving and making mistakes. Just need to find the best way forward.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'd concede you're probably ahead of the game financially. Still, when it's all coming out of your pocket, there's so much more incentive to cut corners, or let repairs slide. I guess that's the big advantage of insurance: no qualms about getting complete/full repairs.

If you switch to comprehensive now, you'll be accident-free for the next decade, lol.

fragglestickcar and ak907 like this.
  4. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five