1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mirror Dash cam

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Siber Pir8, Dec 22, 2018.

1. Siber Pir8

Siber Pir8 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey all, I'm thinking of getting a mirror Dash cam that comes with a rear camera, because the roads I drive on the people are f**cking nuts!
    Has anyone fitted one and been able to utilize the existing rear camera to record?

2. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yup, added mine back in the summer, and it has already paid for itself! It cost me $69 from Amazon, and shortly after I installed it , well …here's the link posted here on Prius Chatte The case for having a Dash-Cam… | PriusChat

Good luck! ;)

ydpplqbd and SFO like this.
  3. Siber Pir8

Siber Pir8 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you add another rear camera or use your existing one?
    If you used your existing, did you just splice into the wiring? As I want to keep my Centre console for the reversing view.

4. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I used the one supplied with the kit (only for getting a rear-view, I think there might be a way of using it for reversing (guide-lines etc.) but I was primarily interested in the forward-view) so my rear-view camera which came with the car (displayed on the MFD) I left unaltered, in fact I think it has better resolution than the one supplied with the mirror-kit). There is a mod available in Ye Olde Prius Shoppe which allows you to switch on the rear-camera with the left/right indicators (a useful mod) but (so far) I've had zero responses to my questions to Danny (Proprietor of Ye O P S) sent 3 times to him! (…Wake Up, Danny!!!) ;)

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Both my husband and I have installed independent rear cameras along with our front rear view mirror cameras in our cars with the help of our retired aerospace engineer friend,

Instead of using the suction cup. he made an aluminum angle bracket for us that wedges between the plastic trim and the rear window frame. The rear defroster traces are in the way for a successful long term suction cup mount. The aluminum bracket slides in where the suction cup mount does.

The cable is long enough to go from the driver's side top corner of the window to the rear 12 volt liquid "cigarette lighter" type power outlet.

6. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's been more than a few years since this post... How have your cameras held up? I'm currently researching rear view mirrors that come with recording dash cams. Which product did you buy and which product do you think would be better?

ydpplqbd likes this.