1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Miscellaneous questions about upkeep

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by nudriver, Jan 4, 2016.

1. nudriver

nudriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi guys. This will be my first oil change that's not covered by a dealership. What do you recommend? I am at the 30k+ point in mileage. I'm considering an oil/car wash combo but am wary of incompetence. I also wonder if some places can really screw it up or not even put in new oil (you know, like a scam or something).

Also, I'm getting a warning that my key battery is low. What should I make of this? Sounds like an expensive problem. I hope that battery's not going to cost me 200 bucks. How long before it stops working and what will happen? Can I get it replaced cheaply? And I also have my second fob that I've had stored way. What about just going to that?

The other question is about the "maintenance required" signal that comes up. Is there a sensor that will automatically know when my oils been changed and turn that off or is that something that can only respond to dealer work?

2. southtxprius

southtxprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The key fob battery is a simple DIY replacement. Check elsewhere on here, or try YouTube. Slide out the metal key and pry open the fob at the indentation on the side of the fob. It takes a watch battery.

If the place that does the oil change fails to reset the 5k reminder, I think you can also do this yourself.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just my feel from your questions: I'd recommend you continue to use the dealership.

mmmodem likes this.
  4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Oil change, which is every other Maintenance, is just the same as any other Toyota, nothing extra due to being a hybrid.

The fob battery is a CR1632, which is a readily available watch battery. $3? smile.amazon.com/Panasonic-Battery-CR1632-Volt-Lithium/dp/B000SOPG5C

http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/om/OM47704U/pdf/sec_04-03.pdf (page 45 of the PDF)

At about 4500 miles after the last time it was reset, the maintenance required light will blink, then come on solid as you get closer to 5000 miles. Here is how to reset it.

http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/om/OM47704U/pdf/sec_04-02.pdf (page 2 of the PDF)

#4 JimboPalmer, Jan 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
    matt b. likes this.
  5. ForestBeekeeper

ForestBeekeeper Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    We shifted to synthetic, so it only needs an oil change every 10,000 miles.

matt b. likes this.
  6. arescec

arescec Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Eneos by Nippon Oil is good (and inexpensive) 0W-20 oil. There have even been some rumors that they make the Toyota branded oil, and people on other forums have been happy with it.
    It's about 40$ per gallon (12$ per liter).

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agree with mendel, use the dealer. ask for pricing first though, post it here for feedback.
    see if they will change the fob battery without labor charge. yes, you can use your other fob, but that will probably need another battery soon, as well. i just changed mine recently, also 2012.
    if the dealer is too expensive, try to find a local mechanic. word of mouth, or triple a.
    you need oil and filter, air and cabin filter inspection/replace, rotate tyres, rear brake inspection/lube, overall inspection and fluid levels. all the best!(y)

8. matt b.

matt b. Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I get my oil change at the dealership for under $50 also the battery can be found at any RadioShack or Walmart but you should change the battery out ASAP

9. southtxprius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I actually went for awhile with the same key fob battery after getting the "low battery" message. The fob continued to work for a few months- sometimes the message would appear, sometimes not. Fob worked fine.

10. nudriver

nudriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Could a dead battery prevent you from being able to start your car or lock you out?

Wont a dealer charge you twice as much because they gauge?

#10 nudriver, Jan 4, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2016
  11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You can get in by using the physical key, then start car by holding button directly on the start button. Never done the latter; it's explained in the manual tho.

Need the spell check police here, lol.

Ask them what they charge. My guess is they'll be a bit higher, but safer. No offence, but when you speculate about $200 fob battery, I think you should steer clear of the fast lube places: bait-and-switch is their bread-and-butter.

Better the devil you know?

#11 Mendel Leisk, Jan 4, 2016
  12. nudriver

nudriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had a Passat and was told it would be $250 to replace the fob.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  13. southtxprius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My guess is that quote was for the entire fob, not just the battery.

14. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've read posts that seem to suggest changing the battery in both the in service fob and the back-up fob when the time comes is a good maintenance approach.
    The reason being that even though not being used as directly as the in service fob, the back-up fob is still transmitting a signal. So after X amount of time is probably also getting low.
    What I wouldn't do is simply switch to the back-up Fob, thinking you have a lot of time left. It's more than likely getting low as well.

Given the relatively minimal cost of key fob battery, I'd just replace both.
    Watch the above video and gauge how comfortable you think you'd be DIY.

If you think you want someone to do it for you? It still shouldn't be a huge expense.

Good Luck.

15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yes, please strike all but my last sentence, I'm being a grump.

Dealerships are fairly price competitive, and know the car best.

16. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes, the way you've phrased all your questions, you should definitely go back to the dealer and let them do the oil change for say $99. I'm just being honest. You sound like a good customer to sell unnecessary services to. If they charge more than $99, ask them what they are doing. Reply here and we'll tell you why all you need is an oil change and tire rotation and maybe an air filter.

Sometimes you get a low key battery indication if the FOB is buried deep inside your bag. Place it in an outer pocket to get a better signal. EYen if the FOB battery dies completely, you will still be able to get in the car and drive by doing things manually so don't worry. Instructions are in the owners manual. Again, I'd let the dealer do it and charge you $9.95 or whatever to change the FOB battery. I wouldn't change out both FOB batteries though. I'd rotate out to using the second FOB. I replaced the battery in my primary FOB after a year a half. The second FOB on its original battery is now giving me the low battery warning after 3 years or 1.5 years full time usage. It's good practice to rotate to the second FOB any way to spread out wear and tear. It costs $400 to replace the Prius FOB according to my dealer.

17. nudriver

nudriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Probably.

Price competitive??? When did this happen? It's a cliche' that dealerships gauge.

Awesome reply except that part about being easy to sell to. You got that one way wrong. I'm the opposite. That's why I'm wary of these dealerships.

#17 nudriver, Jan 5, 2016
    mmmodem likes this.
  18. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Each dealership is a separate business, there are good ones and bad ones. Do not reward the bad ones.
    I have been very happy with my local dealer, (32 miles away) but there is one 55 miles away I would not trust to add air to the tires.

19. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just editorial, the word you want is "gouge", I think.

Well, ask, get their prices. Much simpler then debating here, lol. And check with more than one: the service departments can be very different, depending on the manager's attitude.

20. nudriver

nudriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Right.
    So I found a deal at my dealership which is this:
    Includes:
    • Replace engine oil (up to 5 quarts)
    • Replace oil filter with Genuine Toyota oil filter
    • Inspect and adjust all fluid levels
    • Complimentary Multi-point inspection

60 bucks. Good deal? And you think they'll replace my battery in my fob? That seems like a pain in the butt to deal with myself and a waste of time.