1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Miscellaneous questions about upkeep

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by nudriver, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Verify the price is still applicable with Toyota 0W20. It might very well be, up here I buy liters of it for $5.91. The third and fourth items are mostly nonsense, and they may really be the introduction to upsells. But yeah, $60 for an oil change is reasonable.

Keep in mind tire rotations too, isn't that at every interval as well? If they'll do oil change and rotation for $60, that's good.

If they'll replace the fob battery for under $10, sure go for it. If you just walk into a retail store and buy one or two of the batteries, it'll set you back almost that much anyway. Two-packs are $5~6, retail. Sure you can find them online for less, but it's a hassle, and depending on the source might not last that long. Stick with brand name. It IS a pain opening the fob, it's not a great design, the interior looks fragile.

2. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Good.

On some things I am comfortable being gouged by a dealership for peace of mind. For example, AC repair or other major engine component because they come with a warranty. Simpler things like tire replacement and oil changes, I do outside. The problem I've found with the Prius is the 0w20 oil requirement. Every place advertises low prices for an oil change. But you tell them you have a Prius and they gouge you for the oil. At that price I might as well go to the dealer. I've had success with warrantee on a bad AC compressor within a year after replacement at a dealer. No such luck with an ECM replacement that was done outside.

3. nudriver

nudriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What about synthetic blend? Is that ok?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    who knows. why not use mobil 1 or toyota or something proven that meets toyota spec?

5. nudriver

nudriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm really confused now. Found a Valvoline oil change place that comes highly recommended. They charge $60 for oil change but its a synthetic blend. They charge $90 for synthetic. Does Toyota allow for a blend? Dealers have told me they use only synthetic and that's for $60. Why would it be so much more expensive at Valvoline, and is it ok to go with the blend?

6. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No, use 0w20 which only comes in synthetic. The $60 quote you got is likely regular oil. It's probably $20-$30 extra for 0w20.

7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Up here the dealership sells Toyota 0W20 for $5.91 per liter.

8. nudriver

nudriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How many liters do I need?

Ok. Called the oil change place and they said only Valvoline makes the blend and Toyota is ok with it.

#28 nudriver, Jan 5, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2016
  9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    4.2 liters, 4.4 US quarts.

10. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They'll replace it if you ask, and pay.
    Actually changing it yourself doesn't seem like that hard a process. Watch the video.
    When the time comes I think I'll attempt it myself. I haven't had to do it yet.

Waste of time?
    How's that?
    If your fob battery is getting low, which after 3+ years it easily could be, I think changing it especially after getting the warning, is an excellent use of time.

11. nudriver

nudriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So the oil change went great, but then the engine light came on, apparently because they pulled out the engine filter to inspect it and when they put it back in it doesn't register right. I looked at all the connections with them and indeed they were all solid. Will this light eventually go off?

12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That doesn't sound right. I've pulled out our engine filter multiple times, no issues. And I don't think there's any sensor in the vicinity. Strike one?

13. nudriver

nudriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What do you mean strike one?
    That's what they were looking at in terms of what showed on the meter they plugged in. We looked at all the connections and all good. What else could it be?

14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I meant if they can take on an oil change and leave your car with warning lights, and tell you it's due to them checking the engine air filter, what can they do: that really stretches credulity: strike one. I don't know that I'd even bother with strikes 2 and 3.

Maybe just contact the service manager by email, this smells.

Maybe someone else will weigh in here? I've never heard of this, suspect it's something else they took upon themselves to do, in the course of their "multi-point inspection".

15. nudriver

nudriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey, can't beat a 15 min. Oil change while I don't even have to get out of the car!

16. nudriver

nudriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    FYI the engine light went off after a couple of days as I suspected it would. I think those lights just come on from time to time because they are glitchy.

17. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The light should not have gone on because they changed the filter. Are you saying they changed the oil while you sat in the car?

I have two dealers near me -- they both have oil specials a couple times a year that will get you the oil and rotation for under $60 w/tax

Both of my dealers change the batteries for $5 -- but often don't bother to charge you if that's the only thing you go in for.

18. nudriver

nudriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, while in car. Incredibe isn't it?
    I found a similar price at my dealer but a lot farther than the Valvoline oil change place I went to and it's very time consuming. Not counting the drive you're making to your dealership you are lucky if the oil change only takes an hour.
    I was told my dealership would charge 5 bucks for the battery too- installing it for free. Gonna use the old fob until that battery begins to weaken too much.

19. nudriver

nudriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi guys, I'm back. My car is at 50K miles now. Am I supposed to change oil every 5000 miles? What's the difference in mileage between synthetic and (I think) part synthetic? That's what the Valvoline place uses.

20. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Look in yer book? (n)

And ultimately: up to you.

mmmodem and Raytheeagle like this.