1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Miscellaneous questions about upkeep

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by nudriver, Jan 4, 2016.

1. nudriver

nudriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I need some quick, accurate info.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    10k, no idea on mileage, toyota recommends 0w-20, i use mobil one.

3. nudriver

nudriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What's 10K?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    oil and filter every 10,000 miles.

5. nudriver

nudriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's with synthetic or part synthetic?

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    synthetic. toyota doesn't specify part synthetic, so there's no way to know. since non synthetic was 5,000 miles, maybe go 7,500.

7. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You want 0w-20, so far as I know, that is always full synthetic. In any normal use, change it every 10,000 miles. (if your commute is 3 blocks, 5000 miles)

8. nudriver

nudriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So here's the deal...
    I last had my oil changed at Valvoline quick oil change and they put in a synthetic blend called Valvoline 0W20 MaxLife Oil API SN.
    They put on a sticker for a change at 3,000 miles, which I would of course never do. The dealership guy I talked to was not knowledgeable. He said you can go for 10,000 miles but that's on synthetic. Just for some context, I haven't been driving my car long distances, just around the city. Also, it has been sitting for about 5 1/2 weeks without being driven. Also, it's a hot summer.
    What should I do?

9. Yippeekyaa

Yippeekyaa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

If you don't do for whatever reason your own maintenance then toss that 10k number for oil changes out the window. Look at this forum at the number of people that start having oil burning issues after 100k+ miles. Most of them don't change their own oil. If that's you then cut that number in half.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agree, if you only drive around the city, and the car sits a lot, change it every 5k.

Yippeekyaa and Mendel Leisk like this.
  11. nudriver

nudriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It doesn't normally sit a lot. What's wrong with waiting for 10,000 miles?

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no way to know, so some err on the side of caution.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  13. Yippeekyaa

Yippeekyaa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Depends on you. If you take it to a quick lube shop and are happy with them using valvoline then 10k miles will eventually lead to disaster. If you start doing your own maintenance with top shelf oil(mobil1) and install an oil catch can the. 10k is fine. Again, it depends on you.

14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    One thing, the criteria are miles or months, ie 10K miles or 12 months, or 5K miles or 6 months, whichever comes first. Toyota (US) suggests the shorter interval if you do a lot of short trips, and a few other criteria.

15. DrTrivia

DrTrivia Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    A word of caution about the 10k oil and filter changes. Since it appears you are not doing your own oil/filter changes and maintenance, you may not be aware of this. Even if you use top of the line synthetic, and a top of the line filter, you STILL need to check your dipstick every 1000 or so miles. Some Prius' will eventually start to burn oil. This is normal, to an extent, but it reduces the oil your engine has in reserve. If your Prius starts burning oil and you drive 10k without checking the levels, you might wind up driving around with far less than you should and damage the engine. Never just get the oil change and drive for that long without checking, it's a disaster waiting to happen.

Also, for my part, I wouldn't trust a dealership as far as I could throw them. I started doing my own work when I started to realize shops were ripping me off or doing half-@ss repairs/maintenance. Since that started I've been to probably 2 dozen locations and have had problems with all of them. Sorry to sound paranoid, but unless you have a personal relationship with the mechanic you should always double check their work. And if THEY make a mistake and YOU don't follow their recommended oil change interval, they won't take any responsibility. (Though to be honest, they rarely take responsibility anyway).

16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think virtually EVERYONE who starts into DIY oil changes after dealership maintenance, has at least one unpleasant surprise. Typically, and in no particular order:

1. Engine underpanel either partially broken/missing, and/or fasteners missing/broken.
    2. Engine oil drain bolt and/or oil filter housing hopelessly overtorqued.
    3. NO OIL FILTER ELEMENT in the oil filter housing.

DrTrivia and mmmodem like this.
  17. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think you need to bold number 2. Increase font size to 36. Make the text blink. Add oil filter wrench needed or new oil filter housing required.

18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Nuther one: professionally serviced cars tend to have door/hatch/hood hinges inundated with spray-on grease. Yes hinges need grease, but they don't need 6 monthly torrent sprayed willy nilly. A goes-on-thin-then-jells grease, appied sparingly and surgically with a straw extension spray, every 3~4 years, is more than enough.

19. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I have a 2014 Gen 3 Prius Hatchback, and just logged in to MyToyota Owners Website and downloaded the PDF owner's manual. Searched this document for the word "synthetic" and the only thing that came up was how to clean the synthetic leather areas. My point is Toyota doesn't care if the oil is full synthetic, synthetic blend or none of the above. The word synthetic never comes up when Toyota talks about the engine oil, period. The only thing Toyota specifies is the grade and viscosity, as follows: Use Toyota approved “Toyota Genuine Motor Oil” or equivalent to satisfy the following grade and viscosity. Oil grade: ILSAC GF-5 multigrade engine oil. Recommended viscosity: SAE 0W-20.

Furthermore, the Warranty and Maintenance Guide (a separate booklet) says if you fill with 0W-20, you can go 10,000 miles under normal driving conditions. Anything else is only good for 5,000 miles. Again, no mention of the word synthetic. The following note appears at the 15,000 mile service interval: Note: If 0W-20 oil WAS NOT used at the last oil change, replace engine oil and oil filter. Since Toyota fills with 0W-20 at the factory, this note is not needed at the 5,000 mile service interval. but you will find it at every subsequent odd 5,000 mile interval.

20. Yippeekyaa

Yippeekyaa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Afaik Toyota does not sell a non synthetic 0-w20 in their "geniune Toyota oil" section. I could be wrong though. If I'm correct your point is moot.