1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

misfire codes and now coolant lose 2014

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by vi herron, Jun 14, 2022.

1. vi herron

vi herron New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    i'm new here, i have a 2014 prius 3, and a 2014 prius v 3. my prius 3 started out engine banging on start up then got random miss fire codes. Have 188,675 miles. changed plugs and all coil packs on road test ran ok. A few days later it started banging on start and on light acceleration it would bang then stop. Engine light back on cylinder #2. And now also losing coolant. Could this be a bad head gasket issue?
    thank you so much
    vi and bernie herron

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes... Headgasket... Monitor coolant loss... If it doesn't run very rough (minor head gasket failure ) on start up some people have gotten years out of their Gen3 driving short distance around town before doing the head gasket. But if it runs really rough, you risk damaging the dampner inside the transmission, as well as risk engine damage if cylinder fills up with coolant and hydrolocks, which will greatly increase repair costs.

mikey_t likes this.
  3. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You really need to get it fixed asap. A $2,000 head gasket job quickly escalates to a replacement engine.

What is your vin number? Some 2014 models had a production change that updated pistons and rings.

4. vi herron

vi herron New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    thank you both so much,
    head gaskets it is then.
    we'll get the car in this week, but until then i won't drive it
    vi and bernie herron

5. vi herron

vi herron New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    i'll get the vin tomorrow if that is ok with you

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    why are there so many stories of plugs and coils temporarily fixing the issue?

7. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    because most people don't have the equipment and/or know how to do a leak-down test.:notworthy::whistle::sick: Everyone's an optimist when it comes to buying coils & spark plugs vs a head gasket job:D:p:censored: As long as we don't test, we can live in blissful ignorance....

8. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    New plugs don't foul as fast

bisco likes this.
  9. vi herron

vi herron New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    sorry it took so long to answer you, here is the vin
    jtdkn3du8e1816349
    thank you so much

10. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    With that kind of mileage when they have the head off you better make during certain their master technician in the shop has a look at the four pistons the slugs in their bores at that time apparently these engines have some piston problems and right after you get that head all taken care of the number two rod will break and you'll be back to square one if at the time they have the engine apart they deem that piston is a problem then you're going to want to put a JDM engine in because to have that bad boy fix it the dealership where it's sitting you're going to have five grand and not even a rebuilt engine essentially and that is a bad move with this particular z series engine as far as I'm concerned and I've been with Toyota for 45 years and this z engine in Prius and in Corolla has been somewhat problematic The early ones not so much but that doesn't account for us Prius drivers Good luck you will need it