1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

misfire cylinder 2 p0301 no pulse injector

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by bradyice, Oct 12, 2017.

1. bradyice

bradyice New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi guys

I was driving at night it was little rainy and check engine light turn on minutes later the engine sounds very ugly at low rpms stalls
    i scan the car and shows the code p0301 i swap the coil number 4 to the coil 2 i run scanning again and it appears the same cylinder trouble

i change the new spark plugs because the spark number 2 dirty
    with enough carbon, as the exhaust of an auto diesel engine,

we test pulse of injector and no pulse in the injector connector number 2 I do not know what other test we can do apologies for my english I just try to communicate with the forum to solve the problem of my car

Thanks A lot....

2. bradyice

bradyice New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I mean p0302 code

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Replace injector next?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. bradyice

bradyice New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    thanks for reply.... if dont have pulse in the injector plug ? its necesary change the injector?

5. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Don't replace the number two injector yet.
    Run the following tests on that particular injector number:
    1. Check for POWER, GROUND, and SIGNAL on the injector wiring harness. It is only when these test proved OK, that you replace the injector.

Also check if the injector connector is properly keyed to the injector.

Note: Sometimes when you have carbon deposits on injectors, it could cause such misfire.

Dxta

6. bradyice

bradyice New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    i wil try tomorrow the injector plug
    i can test with multimeter?

7. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Injector plug can be tested for power. Test it for ground and power.
    Another simple test is to start the car, then unplug the connectors on the injectors o e after the kther, and observed how it they vibrate. As you disconnect them one by one, you'd notice the engine tends to want to go off. If number two doesn't exhibit that, it means that injector is bad, or it isn't getting power/ground coming to it from the ECU of the car.

8. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes you can with a DVM.

9. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You can also unplug all the injector connectors one after the other, as you start the car. Carefully observed the engine behavior (I mean, how it vibrates), as you unplug them. If the injector is the culprit, it won't vibrate as though the engine would go off. But if the injectors are OK, you'd feel that kinda vibration as a misfire(injectors are OK then).

If you try that it doesn't work, then try testing for POWER(connect black lead of meter to body ground, and the red lead of terminal to I think red/or black red strip wire on the connector, with the ignition put on the ON position. You do the reverse for testing the ground). If you don't get 12volts, there's a problem with wiring harness linking the injector to the ECU (open circuit, etc).

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    With a simple mechanic's stethoscope (and maybe even with a long screwdriver pressed to your ear) it's possible to listen to the clicky sounds of th individual injectors.

Extra-dirty ones can make thump sounds rather than clicks.

-Chap

SFO likes this.
  11. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Injectors have TWO wires, typically 12v and pulsed ground (but some OEMs pulse the power with constant ground).

Carbon will not cause no pulsing, but can affect fuel flow thru the nozzle.... geeze.

Get a "NOID" light from your local auto parts store, they are CHEAP. If the NOID lights when you crank/run the engine, then the harness, terminals and ECM are working in good order and most likely the injector coil itself is bad.

12. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Probably saying the same thing, in a ....way

13. bradyice

bradyice New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    thanks for all comments i will buy the noid light to test again i miss my prius :( i love my prius

14. bradyice

bradyice New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi guys again

i try with led light the pulse of injectors have no pulse in the injector 2 the ground
    i check the
    continuity of ground wire from injector plug to ecm plug and have continuity but no ground pulse...

what else i can do

15. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you check to see if ground is in fact grounded? Might be pulsed on the 12v side.

16. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you've tried that, and there isn't a good ground, in my view, you might Br having an issue, with the HV battery ecu ground driver. If there's a short in the ecu internals, the bet you could do is to get one from a donor car, and try it out.

Are the other injector harness wiring connectors to the other injectors having a good ground also? If they do, then you've got to repair the harness, or replace it.

Dxta

17. bradyice

bradyice New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    where is located the ecu ground driver? u say ecu of hv or ecu of engine ?
    yes the rest of 3 injectors grounds have pulse i trace the wire of ground to the ecu have conection no problem i feel ecu dont sent ground pulse i try direct

18. bradyice

bradyice New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    the rest of injectors ground have signal just the 2cond injector dont have ground i trace the cable to ecu have conections

19. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Then either the female connector for injector #2 is not making a good connection, or the ECU is bad. If it's the ECU, it *may* be possible to take the cover off and find a bad solder joint. I have done this many times, but it get more difficult each year as the components shrink.

20. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I mean the
    The pulse driver is embedded inside the ECU I'm referring to.
    Not the ecu at the battery pack. I meant the one located at the engine side. But definitely I'm not talking about the one at the hybrid battery pack.

PS: ha e you checked for continuing on the wiring harness from that injector #2 to the ECU I'm referring to?
    Ensure there isn't an open circuit on that circuitry, before finally replacing the ECU.

Do update us pls.

Dxta

valde3 likes this.