1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Misfire Madness

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by The Phoenix, Feb 13, 2019.

1. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I have a 2008 Prius with 307,000 mi. I purchased it with 189,00 and no maintenance history. I stared to get the check engine light on about two weeks ago. Before that I had noticed the engine running rough at low idol. When I checked the codes they were P3002 and P3004, and P3000, misfire cylinder 2, 4 and multiple. So I replaced the sparkplugs Sunday, by yesterday the check engine light was on again. I haven't pulled the code yet but it's likely to be a cylinder misfire. So now my ideas are, possible problem with the ignition coils, fuel injectors, or fuel pump. The best I can say is that the engine shakes and shutters much more than I have ever noticed. If anyone has any suggestions as to my next steps or any idea what might be wrong I gladly welcome all comments. Thank you.

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Rolling misfires may be engine damage. Mechanical damage like bad bearing that causes vibration which tends to distort cam/crank fg readings as the waveforms become distorted due to engine vibration and the ecu detects revolutions not as expected so starts throwing out misfire codes.

The deciding factor is have you ever run the engine so low on engine oil it threw a check engine light?

See lots of those and have seen a few bad fuel injectors but have not seen multiple cops go bad at the same time.

SFO likes this.
  3. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    When I first got this Prius and I did not realize I consumed oil at the rate I do my oil level did get low enough that the red triangle went on and on my screen it said "problem". I'm not sure if that's the same as the check engine light going on, but I know it's not good. The check engine light did go off for a while and came back on today. I am not sure what to do. If I have major engine damage, should I consider a engine replacement? Or should I throw in the towel and look for a new Prius. I really do like my current Prius and I'm not sure if I can afford a newer car so I'm really stuck. Any more comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The red triangle of death is launched when there’s almost no oil at all and the engine has zero oil pressure.
    Engine damage will surely result, it’s the toughest little motor ever but will not tolerate no oil at all.
    Sorry it’s most likely the engine is damaged,

It starts with tapping then prgresses to knocking then based on what we see here all the time will eventually
    Throw a piston through the side of the motor.

Lots of used g2 motors out there but you will need an independent mechanic as the dealer labor rate is very expensive. My local dealer is $140 an hour and the mechanic I sometimes use is $80 an hour,

Most engine replacements I see here are around $1500 to $2000 with an indie mechanic and used engine,

Listen this is not a Prius thing it’s a car thing. You must check your oil at least once a week after the car has been off overnight, I check all my cars every Saturday morning. Even if it’s the slightest bit low it gets topped off,
    This ocd oil check thing has stood me well . Only because I’m terrified of blowing up the motor
    And a $2000 bill.

exstudent likes this.
  5. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    My mechanic says that low oil will cause irreparable damage and that's what he said when I told him about the light. I never had a car that consumed oil like this one so I wasn't used to being so vigilant. After that episode I have been buying 5 quart bottles of oil and keeping them in my car. My thinking was at least I could prevent the damage from accelerating. So is there any definitive way to check my engine health, or anything I can do short of engine replacement?

6. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Sadly, its too late. You can not turn back the hands of time. An engine that has been run on insufficient oil levels for prolonged periods WILL live a shortened life, compared to an engine that has always been maintained with proper oil levels. Whatever engine damage there is now, will get worse overtime. Start saving up for a vehicle replacement or engine replacement.

As you know, people learn best from their mistake(s). Moving forward, you will probably be far more vigilant with checking the engine oil level. The more frequently it is checked, the sooner you will spot/notice oil consumption issue(s). Consider Edthefox5's approach: check every Saturday morning. Also, it is important that the oil is checked with the vehicle on level (or as close to level) ground. Otherwise, you will get an incorrect oil level reading.

edthefox5 likes this.
  7. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It may not be the case here, but I have seen lots of customers who have let their oil get low enough so that the red triangle comes in when they go around corners or stop quickly. Yet, they were able to recover from this and continue driving their cars for years to come.

Your assumption that it could be a possible problem with the ignition coils, fuel injectors, or fuel pump may still be valid.

Hard to tell without hearing the engine in person.

For previous service history, you may be able to go into Toyotaowners.com and register this car to look up any dealers service history.

And after all this is said, if you really did run it so low for a long period of time, as others have said, it could be damaged beynd repair. Hard to tell remotely, but it will become clear after some more diagnostics.

8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would make sure the oil is at the full line and then put the car in inspection mode so the engine can run continuously for inspection. It will idle endlessly till you shut it off then when shut off it removes the inspection mode.
    Go on you tube and search

Prius inspection mode

It will show you the chicken dance to put it in inspection mode.

Then with engine running listen Closely for bad sounds like knocking or loud rapping I recommend getting under the front of the car close to the engine and listen there for booming or any other concerning noises.
    Harbor freight sells mechanic inspection stethoscope that is very helpful.
    Put the stethoscope on the oil pan then high up on the side of the block under the air cleaner housing.

Apparently first thing that fails with oil starvation is the piston wrist pins which make sense as there high up in the engine and would suffer the most. Lot of torque there on the connecting rod as the 1.5motor has a very long stroke.
    When that wrist pin fails the piston comes off and looks for an exit usually out the side oif the block.
    Seen many of those here.

#8 edthefox5, Feb 19, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    Mendel Leisk and Raytheeagle like this.
  9. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Didn’t this low oil event occur when you first got the car over 100,000 miles ago? You can get rebuilt injectors for 25 bucks. Would seem like a inexpensive thing to try.