1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Misfire, shaking at cruising speed or low RPM, switching between ICE and Electric

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Ragingfit, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Ragingfit

Ragingfit Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I bought my 2012 Prius v with 99,000 miles. It started running rough at around 110,000. Time for new spark plugs.
    I installed new OEM plugs. Still rough. New ignition coils, Still rough.
    My car was shaking & jerking at any cruising speed, fast or slow. It seemed to have trouble switching between the ICE (engine) and electric motor. It made a continuous click click click noise at slow speeds.
    I would get up to speed and let off the gas a little and it would start going chug, chug, chug until I gave more gas.
    I hated driving my car. The shaking was giving me a headache.
    I investigated every posibility; Motor mounts, ECU, trans, changed the trans fluid, cleaned the EGR tube, CV shafts, torque limiter, VVT, sluging, tried fuel injector cleaner.
    I took it to the dealer. They said there was a misfire on #4 cylinder. I told them the ignition was all new but the #4 spark plug was discolored when I replaced it the second time. The mechanic said "That's it! It must be the fuel injector!" New injector installed, $488, still ran rough, still the chug chug chug and click click click.
    A few days ago, it ran so bad and so weak, it used up all the battery power and could barely stay running. I stopped for gas. I thought " maybe it's the EGR. I should just unplug it."
    BINGO !!!!
    It runs great !!!!! Smooth !!!!!! Better gas mileage. No chugging! No clicking!

If your Gen 3 Prius runs rough, has a light misfire at low RPM, (not the hard misfire that sounds like it's going to explode), no check engine light, new #4 spark plug is discolored, UNPLUG the wires from your EGR.
    If your EGR valve is stuck open, unplugging it won't change anything so don't rule out the EGR if you have these symptoms.

Tim Jones and bisco like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well done!(y)

3. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Interesting! Is that the same problem covered by the recent TSB mentioned elsewhere within PC?

4. Ragingfit

Ragingfit Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Not sure. Haven't seen the TSB. I'll look.

5. Channaaj

Channaaj New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Did you try replacing the EGR valve?

6. Oic120

Oic120 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Touring
    So I have the same problem with my toyota aqua 2012 having 57000KM on ODO.
    When ever the car is at at low rpm, like on a traffic light, and then i accelerate out of it, means while transition between battery and engine,-- i hear very grave sounds, shaking and rumbling, as if something is going to crack open in the engine. This happens only at low rpms. and i have no idea what this EGR is and where can i disconnect it to see what happens

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it sounds like you need professional help.

Tim Jones likes this.
  8. mjoo

mjoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It's almost certain that the EGR system and intake manifold are clogged. You'll want to check out mine and several others' posts in the Gen-3 maintenance forum.

Pixel XL ?

Tim Jones likes this.
  9. mjoo

mjoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  10. Jaxx1997

Jaxx1997 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I have a similar story. Car started idling weird between the gas engine and the electric when I would be above 50 miles an hour in the cruise control I would have a weird nock And they got worse and worse eventually knocking when I was cruising at 30 mph. My 2010 Toyota Prius had the check engine light come on and it said cylinder three misfire. I had my mom and pop mechanic replace it. 20 miles later same problem. So I took it to the big boys at home and Toyota. I was Told by Toyota that I had gotten cheap spark plugs so they replaced all my spark plugs and the wires,
    ($400+) 20 miles later my check engine light came on again and the car was idling weird between 50 and 70 miles an hour. My water pump died which caused the yellow and red triangles of death pop up on my car. Took it to my local mechanic who couldn’t diagnose it. Took it back to Toyota who gave me a $6000 bill to replace everything that would be the fuel injector, the timing chain gasket cover, and the water pump three things for $6000.I had the work done it for $1200 by my mom and pop Mechanic and was sure my problems were over Check engine light came on again with the cylinder three misfire. Was told that it was a cracked cylinder in my engine getting a new engine would fix all my problems. $2800 and a 25,000 mile engine later I was super excited and 20 miles into it the check engine light came on again. I was defeated. I’ve read this article about disconnecting the EGR valve electric. That solved all my problems no more knock no more cylinder three misfire I spent well over $3000 and all I had to do was disconnected the EGR valve

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Did you ever clean the complete EGR system, including the cooler (big item connected to the exhaust manifold)? And the intake manifold, especially the EGR passages?

Willy Toast and Raytheeagle like this.
  12. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Late to this thread... However, does unplugging the EGR wire throw a CEL? Seems awfully odd that it wouldn't....and seems like that would be a 'hole' in the emissions systems checking that the vehicle does.

Willy Toast and Mendel Leisk like this.
  13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think functioning EGR function, besides helping with emissions, also helps the engine run cooler?

Willy Toast, m.wynn and mjoo like this.
  14. Ragingfit

Ragingfit Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    It does set a P0403 code for the EGR control circuit and a P0401 for low EGR flow.
    I would rather not have the EGR if it's going to foul my plugs and make my car run crappy.
    I drive my car with the CEL on. I have cleaned the EGR cooler and intake but it doesn't fix the fouling.
    I believe the oil rings clog up, the engine starts burning a lot of oil and then the EGR passes the oily exhaust to my spark plugs.
    You'd have to fix your piston rings or unplug your EGR. It's up to you.

15. AndrewLafave

AndrewLafave New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I'm having same issue but in a 2006 prius

16. M43S7RO

M43S7RO Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Experiencing this exact issue. Lots of threads point to the egr & cooler being the cause. Has anyone simply replaced these two parts with new ones rather than trying to clean them to solve?

Additionally, can unplugging the egr cause other problems?

17. THart819

THart819 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Having this problem currently and it’s getting worse. We’ve been chasing it down and ready to just unplug it. But how do you do that?

We have replaced spark plugs (helped for a bit), replaced EGR valve and pipe, cleaned MAF sensor, throttle body and intake manifold.

I can’t find a video or link anywhere on how to unplug it completely. Please advise.