1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Misfire troubleshooting issue

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by A mekanic guy, Mar 27, 2023.

1. A mekanic guy

A mekanic guy New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hello all, I run a small time shop at my home and currently I’m working on a gen 3 Prius 4. Long story short I replaced the engine in this unit with a customer supplied engine from a jdm car. Customer purchased the engine from a place they said was reputable. In the past I’ve done all the maintenance while they owned the vehicle. 2.5 years ago the head gasket was replaced in their old engine and it blew once more. Egr was fully plugged causing this. Now once the engine was in the car we put it in maintenance mode and the engine ran fine with no misfires or codes. Car was driven for 1 day then came back for an engine misfire condition. It was coding for cylinder 3 misfire. We put another new set of plugs in and a set of ignition coils. Car ran okay for a few minutes. Comes back with #3 misfire. We decide to swap fuel injectors with the ones that came with the used engine, still #3 misfire. Triple checked all connections and wires in the harness nothing out of the ordinary. Injectors are pulsing and coils are firing. My prognosis is a blown head gasket between cylinders 2-3. Once you unplug #2 cylinder coil, the engine smooths out. Leading me to believe a combustion leak between the adjoining cylinders. Customer thinks it’s something else. We have not done a compression test or leak down as of yet, we ordered a tool for this. My question is has anyone else has a issue quite like this without a blown gasket? Car smooths out when placed in neutral but there is still a misfire.

2. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Do a search for this problem and you will find a whole lot of people have this problem.

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Sounds like it buddy . Maybe onfor the JDM guys pronto. In Indiana which Depot did this come out of California Ohio for the JDM guys that is??

4. A mekanic guy

A mekanic guy New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I was told the engine came out of Florida from a sunshine state jdm company. I’ve never personally talked to these guys. But the car is now coding a p0455 emission control leak detected. (was a loose hose) I’m guessing from the engine moving around with the hard miss. Then is coding for P0441 evaporative emission incorrect purge flow. We replaced the valve new and still setting the code and misfire still exists. I would imagine if this was an issue it would cause a miss on more than one cylinder. Or that it was set by the hose becoming loose.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Any more info on it, the miles for example? Probably blown head gasket, again. Boroscope inspect the cylinders with cooling system pressurized, and/or leak down test?

That’s been cleaned now, including the intake manifold’s EGR passages?

6. A mekanic guy

A mekanic guy New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes the egr cooler was replaced on the new “used” engine. So I know the cooler is good. I personally cleaned the egr tube and passages in the intake manifold and have triple checked it. I will borescope it and see where that takes me.

Mendel Leisk likes this.