1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Misfiring or something else?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Bens04Prius, May 17, 2017.

1. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I guess I referenced my own oem battery which at this point discharges pretty fast in neutral.

2. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Remember to turn AC off first. It will drain the battery quick. But my point really was that you do need a real idle (which in a Prius only happen in neutral) to check for vacuum leaks.

edthefox5 likes this.
  3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hmm, the purpose of the inspection mode is to facilitate emissions testing, so the idle speed needs to remain reasonably constant and the engine should be continuously operational.

However, suppose the engine actually was not running from time to time, instead being spun by MG1. As long as the crankshaft speed remains constant, there should be no difference to engine vacuum. The vacuum is caused by the pistons moving up and down at speed which causes the flow of air through the intake manifold into the engine and then out of the engine via the exhaust manifold. The vacuum results from the throttle plate being almost closed, which would be the case at engine idle. Whether the pistons are moving due to fuel/air combustion or moving because MG1 is spinning the crankshaft seems not to matter.

4. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If you just let the Prius run in inspection mode (for example to bleed the cooling system) you can hear that engine running changes sometimes. You can also see those in hv-battery amp gauge (if you have one). Those changes would make it hard to tell if there is vacuum leak there when testing with fuel (like brake clean).

Amount of engine vacuum could also be changed a lot by using the VVT-i but that’s not really the important part here.

5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I must be missing something here on this thread the op is quoting G3 issues
    With intake manifolds which is the egr issue. He has a 2004 with almost 300k miles and oil on sparkplug and bad sounds from engine.Never even checked oil till I reference low oil blown motor then reports very low oil. Now talking vacuum?

6. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I just replied to andrewclaus post about a trick to find vacuum leaks. Then others replied to me.

edthefox5 likes this.
  7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Got it. Thanks. Op quoting G3 issues.

8. Bens04Prius

Bens04Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So today I finally had some time to do the compression test again.

I drove the car for a bit and started about 15 minutes later (coolant temp was 88 Celsius when I parked).

This time I did the procedure as follows, which I believe made for a more consistent test:
    1. Warmed up the car (as per above)
    2. took out all spark plugs
    3. placed tester in Cylinder
    4. turned on the car
    5. Went back out to watch the gauge
    6. Waited for ICE to start running
    7. Let it turn over for the 5-6 seconds or so until it errored out and more or less stopped
    8. turned off car.
    The first round I did a dry compression test (without the oil squirt as recommended) and on every cylinder, pressure would go up to around 100 to 105 (gauge is really annoying - only has numbers at 30,60,90,120 and so on, so have to watch it like a hawk to get a semi-accurate reading) and then would settle down to around 96 as engine stopped turning over . I did not see any difference at all between cylinders, it was like deja-vu as I went from cylinder to cylinder.

Then I squirted some oil in cyl 1 and redid test with a result of 110.
    Cyl 2 resulted in 130
    Cyl 3 resulted in 130, and as I pressed the needle to reset gauge and release pressure, the hose popped off with a pop off of the part that goes into cylinder spark plug location, resulting in my spending the next 1.5 hours coaxing it out. As mentioned previously, the hose was turning around the base part that goes into the cylinder, make me have a hard time tightening the tester and I guess now I've learned my lesson - NEVER use a compression tester that has the hose turning or loose.
    I obviously skipped cyl 4.

At this point, it seems that I do have some wear on the piston rings. However, besides the strange noise and slight vibration, the car seems to be driving ok. Certainly would be fine if it drove this way another 100k miles.

It should be noted that I did not find any oil on any of the spark plugs this time.

So,
    1. What can I do to prolong the time until the engine dies?
    2. Acc to this guy
      changing the spark plug may help the engine run better for some time.
    3. Will high mileage oil help? Any other additive?
    4. How many more miles can I expect to get at this point?

9. Bens04Prius

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can you elaborate? What if my car (not the prius, but one of the newer cars) calls for 0w-20 which I believe is fully synthetic? And what do they do wrong during oil changes? Fact is, I'm not going to do my own oil changes, and having history of maintenance at place like the dealer seemed to me as a good idea, especially when I'm selling the car (I do realize you're not my target customer). I'd like to avoid making the same mistake again since it seems I'll need a new car in the near future - what do you recommend I do to make sure a car I would like to buy is a good choice?

10. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When spinning the engine for the compression test, did you hear the rattling sound? If you did not hear that, maybe the sound is coming from the transaxle or some other part of the drivetrain?

If you are OK with driving the car as-is, then you should do so. When it decides to die, then acquire other transportation.

What you can do to prolong the remaining life is to keep an eye on engine oil level and change the oil at 5K mile intervals. You could try high mileage oil, it probably won't hurt and might help. Who knows how many more miles you will get, it partly depends upon what performance level you will accept.

You got 272K miles of service. I am not going to say that you did anything wrong with respect to auto maintenance. If you haven't already developed this habit, though, I would suggest that you periodically check engine oil level, like every other time you purchase fuel.

11. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Dealer oil change elaboration:

1----Not done by trained auto mechanic.Dealer is not going to pay a guy $25 an hour to change oil.
    2----Car will not get synthetic oil unless requested as its expensive. Throw the dealer the keys and say oil change please you get the vat.
    That's dino oil supplied by filthy trucks pumped into filthy vats. Synthetic oil is not kept in vats. It has a cleanliness certification. Synthetic oil change at a dealer is around $75.
    3----Oil level is not checked before its dumped to alert you that hey your a quart oil low when you rolled in. No one ever comes to you in the waiting room and says your car is eating oil bad you better keep an eye on it.
    4----Oil is installed by the vat hydraulic dispenser. Very inaccurate. So after they short changed many people on oil levels and engines have blown up they make sure the oil change guy always installs plenty of oil you know shoot a couple more shots of oil in there. Dealer oil changes are usually extremely overfilled.
    5----Car is out of your field of vision. And being worked on by monkeys.
    6----An oil change is usually a long process where your constantly barraged by ridiculous upsells. But they do have donuts.Mmmm donuts.
    7----They have donuts.
    8----And lastly the worst reason is since its "Dealer maintained" I am totally absolved of any interaction with anything thats under the hood of my car. I never have to check anything under there. Its magic. Until the check engine light comes on because you ran the engine out of oil.
    Because it eats alot of oil. I never knew. No one told me. How could this happen? What happened to my magic? Where's the hood open latch?

Its amazing. Most dealer maintained posters come on here with check engine light question...take the time to join the forum...take the time to post a question...before they even open the hood and check the fluids...then we have to tell them to open the hood and check the oil...
    Usually to late. You light up the check engine light on a G2 from lack of oil and its done.

12. Bens04Prius

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I did not hear any rattling sound when spinning for the compression test. It was more like a train/steam engine sound - "chugg chugg" which makes sense as the compression moves air. The rattling/gurgling sound only happens when I put the car into drive and the ICE is on - even if I hold the brake and rev the engine, it only makes sound when in Drive. Driving on battery only I hear no sounds. Leaving the car to idle only causes vibration sounds and a sound in the first half second the engine starts. For some reason I feel it has some exhaust component to it, and a mechanic I went to (not knowledgeable with the prius) seemed to guess that first too. Likewise, the dry compression test was perfectly consistent across cylinders - the engine may be worn, but it seems to be a very even wear and therefore I have a hard time concluding that the worn piston rings are the sole cause of my current issue. Loss of power and efficiency yes... but to have some strange sound suddenly that didn't exist for the past 50k miles is hard for me to attribute to the engine wear.

I just added a quart of mobil 1 super high mileage to it - I checked the dipstick right after and it is now showing a tiny bit above the second dot - hopefully I didn't overfill, but if I understood correctly reading various threads here, oil level on the dipstick is about 1 quart per 1/4 of the way between the two dots. Meaning, oil should should 3.5/4 of the way up between the two dots. So even though it was showing about halfway before I added oil, after 1 quart it is past the second dot...

Considering my issues with the compression tester I would interpret my test results "with a grain of salt", which leads me to believe that even though I do have some piston ring wear, I question how bad it really is - yes I know the engine will die eventually, but I could still be looking at many more miles of good enough driving - especially at the 50 mph speed I typically don't exceed in my city.

The questions I have are
    1. What can I do to prevent the CAT from being ruined and at least make it until the next smog inspection this December (NJ state)? Any way I can test the condition of the CAT?
    2. Are additives like "Restore" are a good idea to help with that?
    3. Any tests I can run with the Torque app that may yield helpful info?
    I do plan on getting a replacement car in the next 6 months, and will therefore sell this one. I obviously don't want to mislead any buyers, but considering the low price I will probably obtain, the idea would be that I am selling a "runs & drives" car that will work for an unknown length of time, which is exactly what I did when I purchased this car in the first place - and I've had it nearly 3 years. Nevertheless I would like to sell it in as smooth running condition as possible - I don't want to sell a "car with issues" I want to sell a car that is old, and yes, most likely worn - make your own conclusions and do your own tests.

That is why I still have an interest in trying to eliminate this weird sound (obviously if it can be done cost effectively) as it will probably have a significant effect on its market value (or even how many people may be interested). This is even more true if I can pinpoint the issue to something other than the engine wear.

I will try to take a good look at the intake manifold, but I welcome any other suggestions.

Thanks!

13. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It takes approximately 1.6 US quarts to move from the lower to the upper dimple on the engine oil dipstick.

The condition of the catalytic converter is monitored by the engine ECU and DTC P0420 would be logged if the cc has a problem.

14. Bens04Prius

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just an update on this - for the past 6 months car was driving without the heavy misfire & shake that I had occur at some point. Over the past few days:

1) we had a snowstorm 6 days ago (here in NJ) and got about 1.5 feet.
    2) I tried to get car out during the storm, and had to turn off traction control
    3) I did find plenty of snow in the engine bay
    4) 2 days ago, when getting in car to drive home car started to misfire. codes 300,301,302,303. Since then I have tried to get as much snow out of engine bay as possible, and at this point, car starts to misfire as soon as it warms up.

In other words, first thing in the morning the car is fine for the first 10 minutes or so. Once its warmed up (and likewise on drive home when its not so cold as in morning), it misfires. Mostly getting 303 code.

To update on previous discussion of oil consumption - I would say about a quart is consumed per 5000 miles, which, if I understand correctly is not so terrible for a 275k miles car.

Assuming low compression is the issue - would it make sense that once oil warms up it doesn't seal the compression chamber as well and then starts to misfire? My understanding is that hotter engine = expanded metal = better compression. But if there is a problem, maybe it would be the opposite...?

Regardless, I question the conclusion that compression is the issue, as the misfires are mostly at low rpm, at higher rpm its either not a problem or a lot less noticeable.

Is there something that would perform worse when warm and better when cold? I am led to believe that fuel injectors would work better, not worse when warm, so I would assume that would be the wrong issue, but maybe I don't understand the process fully.

I am also wondering what could be exacerbated by snow or moisture getting into the engine, as these misfires have been greatly increased right after the snow (I've had no codes in the past 6 months).

Obvious things I will still check - moisture or fluids by the spark plugs - if there is moisture in coil it could be misfiring, and its a known issue that coils aren't sealed well in this car. Likewise if I have coolant leaking into engine... However, I again don't understand why this would get worse after the car was warmed up...

Anyone have any insight or direction with some of these new clues?

Much appreciate the help!

Raytheeagle likes this.
  15. Bens04Prius

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just an update - I just took out the coils to see if they're wet - #3 had a bit of black wet stuff on it - did not smell like oil. I wiped everything off and put it back (and broke the bolt holding it down... 2nd bolt I've broken on the coils...). I turned car back on and it was heavily misfiring (codes for #1 & 3). But when I bring the rpm to 1500, no misfires - only misfiring under 1500 rpm.

I decided to take a quick look at the MAF through the air filter hole and even though I cleaned the MAF sensor 20k miles ago, I see it has some grey stuff on it instead of being that shiny dark red color. Is it reasonable that the MAF sensor could be the source of all my woes?

Also, just to clarify, after watching someone else do a compression test - he seemed to read the # on the guage based on the highest the guage read at any point during the test vs where the pressure settled at. which way is correct?

Thanks!

#35 Bens04Prius, Jan 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  16. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Your compression gauge should have a valve that locks it at the highest pressure and should hold it there, if it doesn't get a better gauge.
    When doing compression tests you need to have the throttle wide open, have you been doing that.
    Vacuum leaks aren't much of an issue at high RPM but are a big deal at idle.
    Do you know what carbon tracking is? Oil on the outside of a spark plug can be a path for the high voltage to travel to ground causing a misfire. I have not heard you mention checking for this condition. Visual inspection is the fastest and cheapest troubleshooting you can do.

Here, learn about carbon tracking.

Part 3 -Carbon Tracks are a Common Cause of Ignition Misfires

17. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Compression testing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0W0kQeTvURU

Remove all the plug and have the battery fully charged and crank for 5 seconds with throttle wide open.

Disconnect all four COP, you can damage them if they don't have a ground.

18. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Can you take a picture of the tips of the centre electrode of the spark plugs you replaced? The old one?

From looking at the ceramic insulation of the old plugs, they have undergone tremendous heat, and should have being replaced long time ago.

19. Bens04Prius

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here are the pictures: I don't see any carbon tracking, but maybe I didn't understand exactly...

20. Bens04Prius

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So you're saying the new ones with only 20k miles on them need to be replaced? what is causing the tremendous heat? Is there a cooling system problem I'm not aware of?