1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Misgivings about 2010 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by paulh, May 26, 2017.

1. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    To the OP: I see you're quite angry, but should be angry at yourself. Anyone who visits PC's 3gen forums can clearly see that EGR system pluggs up sometime after 100,000 miles. It's up to the owner to do some cleaning before one gets stranded out of town. I cleaned intake and pipe at 75,000 miles and it was not even very dirty. Will clean the entire EGR about 120,000 miles. BTW, you should be pleased you got 141,000 trouble free miles, except that oil burn that is a minor annoyance.

Prius_Angie and Montgomery like this.
  2. Malosos

Malosos Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What steps did you take to clean theEGR system?

3. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I hate to tell you but a 141000 miles the wheels are falling off.........

4. Former Member 68813

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What's the question again? I said I cleaned the intake manifold and EGR pipe leading to the intake.

5. paulh

paulh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Appreciate the slapping around I'm getting for not checking my oil levels on a regular basis :))) You guys are missing the whole point. I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO!!!. I SHOULDN'T BE BURNING A QT EVERY 600-700 MILES. Toyota knows about the problem . They are just not focused on getting it taken care of.I would expect it from some other brands but not this company. I understand it is not a simple solution to fix but when a dealer tells you the answer to your burning oil is a new engine. I'm going WTH!!!That is my frustration with this situation. I have called Toyota and they have referred me back to the dealer . We will see how that goes. I'm not holding my breath.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the real problem is that the cars are not designed to go beyond 100,000 miles. if they were, the maintenance manual would include more items, such as egr cleaning.

Prius_Angie and paulh like this.
  7. Former Member 68813

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No, you are missing the point. You should check oil regardless what car you drive, as they all tend to have oil consumption as they age. My son has a Saturn car. Would you like to hear about his oil burner?

Prius_Angie, Montgomery and fuzzy1 like this.
  8. Former Member 68813

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Or tranny oil change, or fuel filter change.

bisco likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    exactly.

10. paulh

paulh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Maybe I am just old school but I expect vehicles especially Toyotas to last more than 100,000 before having to replace the engine. Yes, I'm not naive about oil loss. After so many miles you start to lose or burn oil. My point being a quart every 600 -700 miles. I think that is excessive. You can check all the oil levels you want but the vehicle will still use oil and it will still clog up the egr valve. If it is using oil it will eventually develop the same issue that I had.This clogging problem did not result from low oil .It resulted from the "root problem" which is Toyotas poor design allowing the the build up of carbon in the ports and egr valve.

PosauneGuy likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think they had a massive tundra engine problem a few years back. the thing is, overall, toyota is great, but that doesn't mean everything is perfect.

Prius_Angie likes this.
  12. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Then I'm missing another point: why did you buy a car whose Owner's Manual very specifically discloses that it may burn 1.1 quarts per 600 miles (or 1 liter every 1000 km)? It is very clearly printed on page 422 of my 2012's manual. I don't remember which page it was on in my 2010's manual, but clearly remember finding it in there somewhere.

Perhaps instead, you should have bought something like my 2014 Forester, which places its limit at 1 quart per 1200 miles, the slowest listed rate of any car I have ever owned. Unfortunately, that series has also developed a reputation as oil burners.

13. paulh

paulh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I don't think I looked at the owners manual before I bought the vehicle. I checked out all the reviews that I could(Consumers Reports,etc.) and my own experience owning a Sienna van... Oil consumption is on page 428. By the time I realized I was over the limit on oil consumption. I was out of warranty. I guess I could have lived with the oil usage but the clogging of the egr and manifold ports is just poor design. As Bisco says nothing is perfect.As I said before ,replacing the engine does not "cure" the problem nor does replacing the intake manifold. You only delay the inevitable. Would I buy a Toyota again. Probably but I will look long and hard before I pull the trigger.

14. jas8908

jas8908 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Five
    My girlfriend has a 2013 Mini she bought new. Has less than 40k miles on it. Last oil change was 5000 miles ago. She called me two months ago when her oil light came on at work. Mini was down 3 quarts of oil. I check it frequently now and have to add oil every couple of weeks. Some cars use oil.

15. paulh

paulh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Jas, I can live with having to check oil. It's the burnt oil causing the blockage in the manifold which frosts me. Toyota knows about the issue and hasn't addressed it.That is what I'm upset about. Their answer is to replace the engine . And then the cycle starts all over again. Not quality craftsmanship

16. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What maximum oil burn rate was listed for that Sienna van?
    This Toyota is the fifth brand name vehicle to be in my household. It's disclaimed oil burn rate is not meaningfully different than those of the previous brands, including my first Subaru (i.e. not the 2014).

17. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    I'm not sure Subaru is a good example to use. Subaru clearly has an oil burn 'reputation'. Not good in my book.

The fact that you quote the owners manual is pretty silly. yes, it does say that...but only to cover Toyota's butt for possible legal retaliation. Toyota clearly never 'intended' a burn rate of 1 quart per 600 miles...I can guarantee you that. The fact that the note is in the manual makes it very obvious to me that Toyota was 'worried' about the potential long term viability of these engines.

My 2010 is also a 'burner'..but seems to have slowed down a bit now that I have done quite a bit to mitigate it (see other threads).

I have stated this before...but I have never had other vehicles burn oil at a *noticeable* rate. These are all Mazda and Hyundai vehicles...some with quite high mileage. Our 2004 Mazda MPV has 175K or so and does not burn oil at a noticeable rate. Mazda/Hyundai do not have any 'oil burn' notes in the owners manual either. For some reason I often seem to get berated by people here when I bring this up....very strange.

#37 farmecologist, Jun 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  18. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    I agree...some of the 2010s clearly have a defect that has not been addressed by Toyota. As for myself, I'm ok with the slow rate of burn...for now. However, if it ever get to the '1 quart every 600 miles' point...I'd be extremely upset...as you are.

19. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As already pointed out, this is not materially different that the several previous brands of cars in my household. They all had similar disclaimers and frequent oil check requirements. Sure, most individual units didn't burn anywhere near that much. But the risk that some would was always enough to warrant the disclaimer.

20. harrysprius

harrysprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If I had a car that burned a quart of oil every 600 miles it would be going away. That may be acceptable to some, but I wouldn't deal with that. Especially on a car that's supposed to be environmentally friendly. That being said, I check my oil at least every couple fill ups, and if I do loose oil, I check it more often.

Mendel Leisk and farmecologist like this.