1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Missing fittings in Engine Bay

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by iskoos, Dec 26, 2017.

1. iskoos

iskoos Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Guys,

I have been reading this forum for about 2 months. Got my Prius a few weeks ago (2010 Prius III @140k)
    And this is my first post:)
    I have engineering background. With that, you can say I am totally sold to this Prius. I just love it.
    I have been cleaning and caring for it since the day I got it. Fixed many simple things so far. Engine looks clean and well taken care of. Though I found a few (non-critical) missing fittings in the engine bay. I am a perfectionist and wanted everything to look original. I tried to search for the part numbers through some websites toyota eparts (I cannot post the full link here yet due to some forum rules.)
    I couldn't find it. I am sure it is there somewhere. If some of you can point me where to look for it exactly or if you know the part numbers, I would appreciate.
    The one circled in red must be a simple fitting probably same as the one on the very left.
    I wonder what is the missing one circled in green. Seems like a metal screw but what is it holding there?

I am attaching a picture here.

Thanks... 2010 Prius Engine Bay.jpg

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Took a look at ours: you're only missing one fastener, at the red circled location. It's a small push-in plastic fastener, same as two others on the same piece. You can pick up at dealership parts dept, though they may need to order it in. Or online, McGeorge Toyota's a good site.

The green circle is open on ours too, for some other configuration maybe.

Woodstock74 and bisco like this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That engine bay looks very pristine btw. A lot of times with posted pics the inverter bright metal is all rusted to hell: cars that have spent their life parked outside in heavy humidity?

4. iskoos

iskoos Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thank you Mendel. If so, then I can just walk into a dealer right down the road and pickup the missing part. I will show them the same picture or just take one of the fastener with me.
    Yes the engine looks clean. It was one of the reasons I bought this car. I have seen many other cars where the engine bay was looking terrible with rusty screws, broken plastic parts and fittings. Walked away...
    This is a Florida car (home of humidity:rolleyes:) and I am the 3rd owner. The car has been taken care of well. She will see her better days with me...(y)

jerrymildred, Mendel Leisk and bisco like this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome! all the best.(y)

6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Semi-interesting: it looks like the fasteners that are present on that (pictured) piece, are different style than the ones on our 2010. Ours are the kind that you release by prying up the centre cap, whereas those look like the style that you push down the centre to release. Both work I guess.

7. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wao! Does it mean you've a gift of detailing? You got to open a detailing shop menh!

By the way, how did you detail that engine? It looks so cool. A lot of folks always say not to use water in the process.

Dxta

8. iskoos

iskoos Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    @ bisco, Thank you...
    @ Mendel, Yes you are right. I had to push the pin all the way in to release and pull the fastener up. But it was a hell to recover the dopped pin from the bottom. A very tight space to work.
    After what you said, I then checked some pictures online and none of those fasteners were looking like the ones I have on my car.
    It is quite possible that the ones I have aren't the original fasteners. This is a very common practice done by some shops. They collect all the screws/fasteners into a tray and then use them as they fit when they are putting it together.
    It seems this plastic trim piece was removed before. I will make sure to get three original fasteners and replace them all in this case.
    Thanks for pointing that out...

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. iskoos

iskoos Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yeah you may say that I am a detail freak. I didn't use water at all. No way on a hybrid car... The engine was very clean when I got it. I just added my touch up:)

Prodigyplace and Dxta like this.
  10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Those pins don't have to be pushed so far they fall out. Only far enough to click, and the fastener should pull easily out. Then you just push the pin back up from the bottom, until it sticks out on top. Reinserting the fastener, you push the pin down flush.

Those are my favorite of the Toyota fastener styles. I keep a spare bag of them around, and I use them in place of pretty much any other style of 7 mm fastener I take out, because the other styles annoy me more.

-Chap

jerrymildred likes this.
  11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    On mine the fasteners are the pry-up style. I agree those push ones are easy to release, but maybe they're a poor fit, not meant for that. I suspect OP is right, that at some point a body shop or mechanic has switched them.

12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm using them myself for that very piece, up front under the hood. They fit fine for that.

They don't have much depth, so sometimes they won't work in an application where three or four layers of something are being clipped together. Still, in most cases where whatever came out was 7 mm ⌀, they've made fine drop-in replacements in my experience.

-Chap

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  13. iskoos

iskoos Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    @ ChapmanF,

I checked the fasteners again and you were right. The pins didn't have to be pushed all the way in. I was in a hurry and didn't want to spend time (Though in the end, I spent way more time to recover the fallen pins:rolleyes:)
    I will visit the dealer this afternoon and see what part they will offer. I will let you know...

14. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The nice 7 mm ones with the pushable pins, which are my favorite, are P/N 90467-07117.

-Chap

Prodigyplace likes this.
  15. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Welcome to our board! I hope we see more posts from you.

Check out the sticky thread in this section which has links to the NutzAboutBolts maintenance videos. This is the go-to guide for every known maintenance task of our Gen III cars. We’ve been pushing them for ever-more-complex jobs, such as removing/cleaning the intake manifold and the EGR valve/cooler. But you can begin with some simpler jobs and go from there. I like the spark plug project, because it shows you how to remove all of the cabin air intake, so you can thoroughly clean ALL on the air passage into the cabin, instead of just replacing the cabin air filter.

I bought a Toyota-made cover for my inverter, and my engine otherwise looks a lot like yours:

View attachment 141642

#15 Rebound, Dec 27, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Pics of ours, I'd assume they're stock. Has a nice, matching pebble texture:

IMG_8088.JPG IMG_8089.JPG

(You don't want to drop these into the engine bay: then you're jacking up the front end, pulling off the engine underpanel..."

iskoos likes this.
  17. iskoos

iskoos Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    @ Rebound,
    Thanks for the welcome. You will definitely see more posts from me. I spend time on my cars:)

I will be doing bunch of maintenance projects. Spark Plug change is in my list. I think they have never been changed. And I know how much I need to disassemble to get to them. (Good and bad...)
    EGR system is also in my list. I will tackle that job and many other as well. This Prius HSD is just fascinating. I will be discovering more of it as the time goes by.

I see you got a plugin version. That's my ultimate goal. I will definitely be upgrading to a plug-in Prius one day. In the meanwhile, I will drive and learn more about my hybrid...

Raytheeagle likes this.
  18. iskoos

iskoos Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    @Mendel Leisk ,

Thanks for taking time to post those pictures. I visited the dealer yesterday. The guy wasn't sure of the original fastener. He gave me one at first which didn't fit. I then picked one which I thought the best match and after seeing your close-ups, I am very certain that I picked the correct one.
    It is the left one on the attached image with part # 90467-07211. The outer diameter measures about 19mm (0.75") and the button diameter is around 10mm. If you have some time in your hands and may confirm the measurements with me, that would be great. It is textured just like the one you posted.

The original ones on my car (same as the one Chap posted 90467-07117) can be seen on the right side of the picture. They are also nice but I think these aren't the original fasteners. I checked many under-hood pictures online and couldn't find them.

BTW dealer sells each of these clips for $3:eek:. At Amazon, pack of 10 can be purchased for around $14. I just don't need that many...

Toyota Fasteners.jpg

Raytheeagle likes this.
  19. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If you do your own work on your Prius you might;).

I’ve bought a couple of packs over the years and some how they get used:whistle:.

But having replacements on hand isn’t a bad idea (y).

edthefox5 likes this.
  20. iskoos

iskoos Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Do they really use this part at a lot on Prius?
    I didn't do much work on my car yet but the front top of the engine bay was the only place I see it used so far.