1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Missing Rear Hatch Handle - All '04's

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by RobertO, Mar 1, 2004.

1. RobertO

RobertO New Member

I'm posting this because I think I have a solution.

I sold my '91 300E to buy my Prius. I removed one item from the car, which was otherwise factory stock.

The item I removed was an aftermarket handle for opening and closing the trunk without leaving finger marks on the paint, as there really was no trunk lid handle. If you've ever owned a Black car, you'll understand.

Same thing on the '04 Prius. No real lid for the hatch - you grab the hatch close becaus the handle is a bit out of reach for most of us.

This part is made for most Mercedes, probably fits a bunch of other cars because it fits in line with the license plate bracket, with predrilled holes that match standard license plate mounts on most cars.

Sorry to say, I haven't installed on my Prius yet because I’m looking for some material to insert under the bottom of the frame assembly to protect the paint. I may end up using stick on foam or heavy-duty "peel off material " to shield the paint form the the short bolts on the bottom of the frame - will definitely abrade the paint if no protection is provided becaxue it bolts from the top and the plate, frame and handle tend oo torque inward at the bottom, otherwise.

The nice thing about this part is that, because it's the same width as a standard license plate frame, it appears to be part of the original equipment.

Unless someone beats me to it, I'll get this installed and send a picture. I bought mine over the counter at a Mercedes dealser several years ago. I imagine they are still widely available.

Relatively inexpensive, sanitary looking and chrome plated to boot (no pun intended). Looks really nice when used in conjunction with the "thinline", plain chrome license plate frames. I use them and they look nice, don't detract from the simple line of the '04 front and rear bumpers.

Regards,

Bob

Bob

2. Dave

Dave New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bob,
    I would be careful about installing a handle. I believe that the rear lift door (as well as the hood) are made of aluminum.

3. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Talking about something like this, Bob?

[Broken External Image]:http://www.deutschmotor.com/prodimages/W210-trunk-lid.jpg

RE Aluminum; From Toyota:

Basic design for improved driving performance
    Use of aluminum
    Use of aluminum in the hood, rear door and bumper reinforcements decreases vehicle body mass in the front and rear ends and reduces the yaw moment of inertia for excellent responsive steering and ideal weight distribution.

4. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Get a bicycle inner tube and cut to fit with some good sissors. I've used these in several places where I didn't want to damage paint.

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Somebody got a part number/source for this part. I'd definately be interested. Will it fit with a license plate frame?

6. Jonathan

Jonathan New Member

I don't touch the paint at all usually. I grab the handle on the inside of the door with my right hand and just give a sharp pull and let go. Closes everytime for me.

7. RobertO

RobertO New Member

To allay any fears; this "handle" is a simple "L" shape that runs across the bottom of the license plate frame, or even under the license plate only if you want no frame.

The top bolts hold the frame securely to the factory threaded mount holes. The lift bracket bolts to the bottom of the frame/lic. plate. assembly.

It's just enough to guide the hatch up or down - not designed for "reefing" on the hatch like a regular door handle.

Picture a highly polished piece of stainless angle iron with rounded corners at each side, holed drilled on the vertical plane, not visible once slipped under the frame or license plate or both.

Used it for 8 years on my 300E with no problems - MUCH heavier trunk lid, I assure you.

Bob

8. RobertO

RobertO New Member

Sorry to take so long to reply to Evan and others.

Real life keeps getting in the way of my Prius obsession.

I'll try to visit the local Mercedes dealer tomorrow and see if they still carry the part. It's just a little wider than the distance between the two bottom license plate holes; very trim, understated.

Simple, effective. As I recall, not expensive.

Let you all know soon as I find out.

Bob