1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Missing this wire. Is it important?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by ILuvNAB, Sep 3, 2021.

1. ILuvNAB

ILuvNAB New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Bought my Prius used a few months ago. I never bothered to remove the engine cover until today and I noticed my car does not have this grounding wire. Only an empty thred hole on the valve cover. I looked down to see if bolt simply got loose and wire got disconnected, but I don't even see any loose wire near that region.
    How important and how bad is it?

Thank you

Attached Files:

2. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    mine doesn't have one neither, so if Toyota didn't put it in from the factory it can't be sooo important /

ILuvNAB likes this.
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That's not even shown in my wiring diagram. I can see you have the two ground points next to each other on the front of the valve cover. Those are in the diagram.

ILuvNAB likes this.
  4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have one of those ground wires. You can easily make one out of 10 gauge wire and some spade terminals.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

ILuvNAB likes this.
  5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Where is the other end connected? (I would look in the wiring diagram, but can find no such wire there.)

ILuvNAB likes this.
  6. audiodave

audiodave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Just connected to the body.
    Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

ILuvNAB likes this.
  7. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Some back story, in a car with a engine belt driven alternator, good grounding of the engine is crucial. The same basic engine block is used in such cars, so Toyota includes the connection point in a Prius even though it has no engine belt driven accessories at all. 12 volt power is provided by a DC to DC converter in the Inverter assembly. I bet the Inverter has ground straps, like most cars have them for the engine.

ILuvNAB likes this.
  8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The inverter/converter brackets are bolted directly to the body. Engines generally have rubber mounts allowing them to move and shake, and need ground straps to conduct around those.

The Prius engine still needs good grounding; there are electrical devices on it. On Gen 3 you will see two big ground connections right next to each other on the front of the valve cover. Those are the ones the Gen 3 wiring diagram shows in the engine compartment ground points diagram.

Weirdly, while I don't find this other wire in the wiring diagram, I do find it in the parts catalog. About $20 if you want the official one. It has a whole diagram all to itself.

[​IMG]

xliderider and ILuvNAB like this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Our 2010 has it. You can just see other end, bolted to body, peeking through between coolant hose and AC line, near corner of coolant expansion tank.

5EF6EF5B-6FB4-407B-8AB1-A31E1CD1A227.jpeg