1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

missing under covers

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by lookpo, Jul 16, 2018.

1. lookpo

lookpo New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Dear Prius owners,
    I'm looking for your advise. I live in Dublin, Ireland and considering buying 2015 3rd gen Prius. I've found the car I like and inspected it briefly. I've noticed the missing under covers. Is it something to be worried about? The car has been imported from Japan. I've attached the pictures for your consideration. Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

the covers are somewhat protective from road debris, and contribute to aerodynamics. i would consider subtracting the cost of replacing them from the asking price.

all the best!(y)

lookpo likes this.
  3. lookpo

lookpo New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for replay. Are covers installed in all models? I'm wondering if in Japan they come as standard?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no idea. all north american models, europe's, au,nz.

5. GFO

GFO Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Can't imagine they'd not be on the Right-Hand drive models as well, as noted, it's both for protection of debris and aerodynamics (helps mpg to some degree).

I'd suspect the previous owner either ruined it driving over something or did their own oil changes and just got tired of dealing with the plastic cover/flap. The good thing, searching right now they're around $40-50 USD (35-42 Euro) in the US, can't imagine they'd be substantially much more in Ireland. You'll also need the plastic/nylon push rivets. Search for "2010-2015 Toyota Prius Undercar Shield".

But I'd try and work their replacement in with the price and have the dealer do it for you at some later date.

6. lookpo

lookpo New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It appears that not all Prius 3 cars have full under body cover. Some of them has only cover under the engine.
    I've found post on Japanese web showing car being serviced. I've included 2 pictures. It is visible on the second picture that there are no pins to mount covers under spare wheel space.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      116.1 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      119.3 KB
      Views:
    bisco likes this.