1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mississippi Prius Factory to Open "When the recovery hits full stride"

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Danny, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Looks like the Japanese newspaper Nikkei nailed it in the middle of last month when they said that Toyota's US-based Prius factory would go online in 2011. According to the Detroit Free Press, a senior Toyota executive said last night that the currently built, but idle, factory will begin producing the Prius hybrid "when the recovery hits full stride". If things go well, maybe the first new addition to the Prius family will be produced right here in the good 'ole USofA. Who wants that new car smell replaced with the inviting smell of fresh apple pie? Source: freep.com

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Ok,

So when I take my wife to Nashville next week, we'll stay over in a Howard Johnson's (for our non-USA friends, there are a series of commercials about people sleeping at this hotel chain and waking up fresh enough to perform major surgury ... At the risk of turning this into a political instead of a joke comment, any questions about USA healthcare attitudes?)

Bob Wilson

3. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I hope they build some PHEV versions there.

4. Taran

Taran New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hope things work out and the plan can go into operational status soon. Would be nice to buy a US built Prius!

5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    "When the recovery hits full stride" is a pretty non-commital, vague term. If we are talking Prius sales, the "recovery" is already in full stride, they have a back log of orders in Japan, and NOT having to export as many to the US would help meet that demand.

If we are talking "full stride" recovery of the automotive industry? That might be a much longer wait. US or Global full stride recovery could be years away.

What's troubling to me is that it's a bit of a catch-22, unless companies start expanding, opening up plants and hiring, we will never get to that full stride recovery.