1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Review - FullyCharged

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Hybrids and EVs' started by GrumpyCabbie, Oct 19, 2014.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    kind of makes me scratch my head - Toyota finally getting around to offering up a "non-plugin" rav4 - but at least finally hybridized rav4.
    Toyota doesn't see the plugin Outlander popularity/demand as a missed market? Geee - what should I buy .... a 5 seater that I can fuel for free off my solar for 90% of our driving + it can tow .... or an even more expensive 4 seater natural gas fueled hydrogen car that needs a trillion dollars for infrastructure while i drive it locally only & no towing.
    Tough choice. Maybe that's why Toyota refuses to build their own version of the plug-in Outlander?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    or any other manufacturer, for that matter.

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Ford seems to be willing to at least have something ready to go - if only as a standby project if other sales begin to wane.

Escape or Outlander .... I'd give either a serious consideration.

4. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Toyota UK aren't even selling the Rav4 hybrid. Just look at sales of the UK Rav4 too;

TOYOTA RAV4 (model family) - How Many Left?

Hardly spectacular, and the Outlander PHEV is selling double. Toyota UK have missed a market. Strange too that they're selling the outdated PIP at almost the same cost as the brand new, higher specced Outlander PHEV.

Toyota have all that hybrid experience and don't seem to be utilising it. Has someone new come to the helm in the last 5 years or so that doesn't have the same ideas or principles that caused the first Prius to appear?

5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Volvo's XC60 diesel plug in came out before Mitsubishi, and had the same overwhelming response. They are planning a gasoline model for North America.

6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    if you wana try to convince your customers to buy your expensive white truffles -

[​IMG]

you better not be selling steak right next to it - because that steak is better. People will buy the best bang for the buck. Similarly - how can you market & sell a less expensive plugin type car, when you're clearly trying to show the world you think something way more expensive and way less practical is better.
    Just a theory

#46 hill, Nov 22, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
    GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    glad to hear it, but i won't hold my breath.

8. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It did? Where? Norway maybe, but not anywhere else. It costs almost the same as the Tesla S. I think they've sold about 10 in the UK. I would show exact figures, but they're so low they don't even register.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hey, if you're willing to wait for stand by projects, good luck. when i make a buying decision, it's based on what is available.

Bisco merge, another bisco merge

you're blinded by uk/toyota relationship. they're the bomb over here.

#49 bisco, Nov 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2015
    GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  10. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I know. Just giving an alternate view.

We're finally getting the hybrid Rav4 here;

New RAV4 | New Cars | Toyota UK

But not a plug in variety which would then compete with the Outlander PHEV 30 mile range (20 real world). They also haven't mentioned any pricing, though with the new Prius now at nearly £24k, I imagine it will be more than that. You can get a very nice BMW for that. I like Toyota, but their hybrids are so expensive. You can get a Leaf for £21k.

Toyota UK are also advertising a hybrid that doesn't need to be plugged in as a good thing. They just seem to have gone right off plug in's or EVs. Maybe to make their Emperors New Clothes FCV look good?

11. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think it might have been a compliance car. They never expected to sell many, just put it for CARB to shut up!

but seriously with some of iMiEVs going for 16k I wish it had onboard generator option. even with 62mi range (which unlike in case of some other mfg seems to be honest) with small range extender would make a great commuter/grocery getter.

For you living in dense urban environment range anxiety looks far fetched, but for suburbies it is a real thing. For daily chores would make an ideal platform, if this is a 2nd car in family this is all you need in addition to wife's SUV.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed. it's amazing they're coming out with a new pip. but you guys don't need any toyota plug ins with the outlander available. we get nothing comparable over here.

13. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Isn't Outlander a 7-seater too?

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    starts at $54,000. before tax credits? a bit pricy, but they would sell a few. i suppose you get a lot for your money.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it looks like it, but looking through their website, i can't find mention of it.

16. dipper

dipper Senior Member

The gas version is 7 seaters, but the PHEV version needed the back row for the batteries.

bisco and GrumpyCabbie like this.
  17. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You need to deduct 20% vat/sales tax to get a fairer comparison to US$ prices.

And compare it against other cars in the UK that you get in the US, to see how it is priced against them; the Leaf, the Prius, the base Rav4 etc.

18. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I meant that the response was better than what Volvo expected. The higher price means smaller sales numbers, but they sold what was the planned annual production well before the end of the year, and had to make more.

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    can we call it 44k, or is it possible mitsi might price it differently if they eve do bring it to the u.s.?

20. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    They've already said they'd bring it to the US market - and if the price is too much above the standard version's price (minus appx 10K with fed/state perks) , it will really cut down on the # of people that want it. That said, one would hope it won't be above $39K.

#60 hill, Nov 23, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2015