1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mobil 1 synthetic oil on sale

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Patrick Wong, Sep 25, 2018.

1. DLC82SV

DLC82SV Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    What I know for certain is that the first number is the viscosity when cold. The second number is viscosity when warm. To me having a lower viscosity for the pump to lift in the cold is better. Then if it doesn't get cold like that in the summer, you never need your oil to be that thin. So a greater viscosity would be beneficial. No?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

dbf and PriusCamper like this.
  2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No expert on this subject, but have been using 0w20 oil as recommended by manufacturer on HCH, Gen3 Pri, and now on Prime with no problem in subzero weather. Yeah, we are talking -20F in winter.

PriusCamper and DLC82SV like this.
  3. DLC82SV

DLC82SV Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Heavier oil or a greater viscosity would surely cause the engine to knock at those temperatures.

Check this out...

PriusCamper likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    amazing how 'cheap oil' can stir up conversation.:cool:

5. DLC82SV

DLC82SV Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----

Hopefully others find these helpful and informative as well.

6. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    BTW, are all 0W20 oils interchangeable? Can I use Toyota oil on Honda?
    Genuine Toyota 0W20 oil is less than Genuine Honda 0W20 oil. What complicated my search for Genuine Honda 0W20 oil for our aging HCH is that Honda has two different formulation of 0W20. Ultimate and Blend, I think they are called. Both are higher priced than Toyota's.

DLC82SV likes this.
  7. DLC82SV

DLC82SV Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    My toyota dealership pushes mobil 1 as opposed to their oil.

Salamander_King likes this.
  8. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I would put whatever viscosity Toyota says in the manual, or more specifically recommended by Mobil on their website for the model in question. If it conflicts with the manual print out the page for evidence, just in case there is chance for Mobil’s engine warranty. (I know people say may be nearly impossible, but if you have oil not matching the owner’s manual plus no evidence why you chose it there’s no grounds to start in the first place).

I actually had to check that I am actually in the Gen 2 side, where a different viscosity is possibly called for by Toyota, and so sorry if I’ve caused confusion with my post!

Regarding Honda oil as asked, we have an ‘18 Honda Clarity PHEV, and in 4 weeks is due for first service says the indicator. I actually have the Mobil 1 AP 0W-20 left over from last 4 oil changes on other cars that is just a tad over the required amount needed for the change. The pricing at Walmart including rebate is extremely hard to beat.

I started by using the Mobil 1 Extended Performance 20k mi filter, but am switching to Fram Ultra per specs I’ve read. No cutting up filters to investigate for me, I will need to watch the videos linked. (Thanks for sharing them)!

DLC82SV likes this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've been using Toyota 0W20 (synth) bulk oil on our ex Honda Civic Hybrid, for 4~5 years. Similarly, using Toyota 5W20 (conventional) bulk oil in our daughter's Honda Pilot. The Honda oil was bottled-only (I'm trying to do my bit by avoiding putting bottles in the recycle stream) and the price was about $5 CDN more per liter: I was outa there.

DLC82SV and Salamander_King like this.
  10. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    What happen to the poster "BuickGM." He had lots of good information about oil & oil testing. Was he completely removed from the forums? I can't even find him in a search.

Another very good oil website is "Bob is the Oil Guy." Those guys eat, sleep, and drink oil! :ROFLMAO:

Bob Is The Oil Guy | The Internet's Number One Motor Oil Site

Just drive it.

DLC82SV and Mendel Leisk like this.
  11. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    IMG_0451.JPG

Apparently, this chart was made before 0W-20 was invented. 5W-30 looks to be the best overall oil for all temperature conditions.

We can argue 'till the cows come home... but I have definitely noticed a difference in my Prius since I made the switch. Going on 2,000 miles now, using Mobil 1 Extended Performance. Nothing wrong with Toyota's recommendation of 0W-20, but I just feel more comfortable using a slightly thicker oil.... as the owner's manual says... a thicker oil may be substituted under certain kinds of driving conditions.

Mobil 1 Extended Perdormance *supposedly* is good for 15,000 miles without breaking down. I think I will go back to changing my oil just once a year. I probably won't even drive 8 or 9 thousand miles in 12 months.... I don't think I need to change it twice a year. Save a few dollars, and buy a pizza! :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

#31 Starship16, Sep 25, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
    benagi and DLC82SV like this.
  12. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My introduction to 0W-20 was with 2008 Civic Hybrid. That was the first time I ever used 0W-20. In fact that was the first time I used synthetic oil. I think my older 7th generation gas only Civic was using conventional 5W-30, but as far back as I can remember I used 5W-30 in all of my cars even with bigger cars like Grand Caravan, Pathfinder, and Sienna.

DLC82SV and Starship16 like this.
  13. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I did the same, in all my previous vehicles. Maybe I used 10-40 on one older car. But I was using non-synthetic.

Now we have 5W-30 synthetic. Even better. (Just my non-professional humble opinion). My Gen4 Prius ICE now sounds more mature... more refined... it has a more subdued "growl"... :LOL:
    Consistent 57.9 mpg displayed; and 55.5 to 56 calculated after every 500 mile tank.
    (Regular Prius. AC always on. PWR mode.) I sure can't complain about that! :)

#33 Starship16, Sep 25, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
    DLC82SV likes this.
  14. DLC82SV

DLC82SV Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Prius Camper, notice the oil is supposed to be thinner in the colder and thicker in the warmer? There's something to be learned from this chart I believe. Thanks again to the OP for sharing the rebate. Best wishes!

#34 DLC82SV, Sep 26, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  15. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I get the Advanced Fuel Economy simply because it is about $3 cheaper than the Extended Performance.

I would never use annual protection on a prius because it would be crazy to go 20,000 miles without changing oil on a prius. Especially when it starts to disappear after 3k miles lol.

DLC82SV and Salamander_King like this.
  16. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I use the mobil one extended performance oil filter and my oil change guy says I can change the filter every other oil change.

It's about $10 for the oil filter so as far as I am concerned I am saving ten additional dollars every other change.

What do you guys have to say about this!

DLC82SV likes this.
  17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Honda now recommends changing the oil filter (the stock Honda filter) at every second oil change. When I was getting oil changed at a Honda dealership I found they were adamantly opposed to this, oh well.

Honda doesn't actually publish a schedule; you rely on the in-dash "Maintenance Minder". It counts down percent, and from 15% down displays an alpha/numeric code. It alternates between "A" (oil change) and "B" (oil and filter change).

DLC82SV and MilkyWay like this.
  18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Here's a (Honda) Owner's Manual description of the codes, oil change highlighted. Of note too: Honda's policy on brake fluid:

upload_2018-9-26_7-23-42.png

DLC82SV likes this.
  19. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Mobil says to change the filter, with the oil, once a year no? I wouldn’t go two. If you read the fine print their rating goes down to 30 microns (20k mi rated filter). Fram Ultra (20k mi rated filter) notes that those filter down to 20 microns on the same test for the same %, I believe 99%. Hence why I mentioned I am switching to them now.

DLC82SV likes this.
  20. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Any specs on the Toyota oil filter? That's all I've ever used.

DLC82SV likes this.