1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mobil 1 synthetic oil on sale

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Patrick Wong, Sep 25, 2018.

1. DLC82SV

DLC82SV Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I will look into it.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Toyota Oil Filter (Made in Thailand) vs. the competition........ | Tacoma World

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2 of the 3 toyota filters in this video look like cheap junk! It is not the best video, but he does have 3 toyota filters cut open for you to see. I feel like he is hard to understand. He mumbles.

#41 DLC82SV, Sep 26, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2018
    jzchen and Mendel Leisk like this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    No need to cut up the third gen filter though, it's just the element, in a permanent housing. One issue I've noticed is there's an O-ring that fits in the housing barrel, about halfway up, and the last time I remove ours the O-ring had jumped the groove, screwed down to the end. Luckily no leaks.

Found another comparison page:

Toyota Parts | Tacoma Oil Filter Comparison - Tacoma OEM Filter vs Fram vs Wix

With my crazy short oil change intervals, I'm definitely not going to overthink it: just slam in a fresh (Toyota) filter every 6 months.

#42 Mendel Leisk, Sep 26, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
    DLC82SV likes this.
  3. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Mendel, are you sure you need to change your oil so often? How many KM's (miles) do you drive per year?

I never drive more than 7,000-9,000 miles per year. Sometimes less. The Mobil 1 Extended Performance ($25) is supposedly guaranteed for 15,000 miles. I feel comfortable with that oil.

(Heck, I could also just use Toyota brand 0W-20 oil, and go a year without changing it. Oil is oil. :LOL:)

Just drive it. :D

#43 Starship16, Sep 26, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
    DLC82SV likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Toyota Canada tells me (for my 3rd gen) to change the oil and filter at 8000 kms (5000 miles) OR 6 months, whichever comes first. I am only following orders... :whistle:

Just checked my gas log, we're doing roughly 8000 kms (5000 miles) (sounds familiar?) per year.

m.wynn, Starship16 and DLC82SV like this.
  5. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Some websites say not to let unopened oil sit on the shelf for more than 2 years. Others don't specify. I noticed Mobil 1 has a date on the bottle ( in code). Some have no expiration date, they don't want you to know? Pennzoil is clearly dated. I wonder how long some of these oils sit around in the stores. Walmart had some brands in stock that expired a year ago.

DLC82SV likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Not sure about that; you could probably find lots of insight at bob is the oil guy site. The bulk oil I get sits maybe 6~9 months at the most.

DLC82SV likes this.
  7. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Mobil’s warranty states to use the oil within 5 years of purchase date. I think the reason is due to their periodicity of updating their formula, more than an expiration date. (This requirement does not mention any date code nor expiration).

Mendel Leisk and DLC82SV like this.
  8. HerbMPG

HerbMPG Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Walmart is not a listed participating retailer - are you saying you purchased at Walmart AND got the rebate?

DLC82SV likes this.
  9. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes

Merkey and DLC82SV like this.
  10. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So if I am reading your post correctly. You still received check despite walmart not being listed as a participating retailer of the promotion?

Edit nm u already said yes to other person asking exact same thing

DLC82SV likes this.
  11. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @Patrick Wong

Just wanted to express my appreciation for you starting this thread. I was at Wally World last night to grab a couple flashlights and since they were near the auto section, it reminded me of your post. Pulled it up on my phone to read it again and check out the link about rebates. Grabbed two 5 qt jugs of 5w-30 and 2 filters to take care of our 05 and 07 this weekend. I usually use M1 5w-30 and a Toyo filter, but figured I'd go ahead and use the M1 filter, as I'll never be able to tell any difference. Rebate submitted about an hour after I got home from shopping. $34 coming back to me from a $66 purchase. Anyone who does DIY oil changes is crazy not to take advantage of this offer.

12. C Rider

C Rider New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I must be weird. I have used synthetic oil for years and I always change it at 5k miles. My 2003 Toyota Echo has used Walmart SuperTech Synthetic oil for the last 200k without issues. My wife's 2009 Toyota Matrix has used 0W20 Mobil 1 changed every 5k miles for the last 100k miles without any issues. I have considered trying the once a year stuff, but is it really worth taking chances on? I once bought a 2003 Toyota Matrix that had a sketchy oil change history and it burned a quart of oil every 300 miles. The 2003 Matrix had a 1ZZFE engnine that was a known oil burner. The 2003 was so bad I almost considered not buying another Toyota. I just purchased a 2006 Prius, and I really wasn't sure if I should use conventional, synthetic or semi-synthetic in it. I called the place (a chain oil change place) the previous owner had the oil changed at and they said the code on the receipt was for conventional oil. I then call another location and they said the code was for semi synthetic.

DLC82SV likes this.
  13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Worth a watch:

DLC82SV and Starship16 like this.
  14. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Good video. Bottom line is... just change it.

"Pennzoil PurePlus Technology is a patented, revolutionary process that converts pure natural gas into the first-of-its-kind, high quality full synthetic base oil. The Pennzoil Platinum line of products made with PurePlus Technology is the first major development in motor oil in more than 40 years." (Apr 16, 2014)

When I was using Pennzoil synthetic, I found it interesting that I couldn't detect any odor. I guess that's because it comes from natural gas? On the other hand, Mobil 1 has a strong smell that won't come off my finger after repeated washings.

What does any of that mean? Not a darn thing. I need a donut & coffee. :ROFLMAO:

DLC82SV likes this.
  15. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Why is it that some Toyota dealers don't use Toyota brand oil in the service dept? Where I go, they put in Pennzoil Platinum or Mobil 1. (Or I can bring my own.)

DLC82SV likes this.
  16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Not sure. Our nearby dealership offers both: bottled Toyota 0W20 for $6 (CDN) something per litre, and equivalent Mobil1 for nearly double that.

DLC82SV likes this.
  17. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Yeah, the dealers sell Toyota brand oil in the Parts Dept... but many don't use it in the Service Dept on customer cars. I guess because they are all independent dealers, and probably look for the best bulk oil deals. Mobil & Pennzoil gives them a better price?

Whatever. After watching that video.... Oil is oil. Just change it. ;) My owner's manual - maintenance schedule says once per year. :D

DLC82SV likes this.
  18. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I always change my own and the parts dept. offers Toyota and M1, but the M1 is considerably more pricey. I'm sure that if I wanted them to change my oil, I could ask for either. I do wish they'd sell it in 5qt bottles rather than 1qt if not in bulk.

Anyway, I'm headed over to Wally World in a little while after the traffic calms down. Thanks again for the tip, @Patrick Wong.

DLC82SV likes this.
  19. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    IIRC at our Toyota parts department the time before the guy mentioned they were introducing 4 or 5 liter bottles. I was in there this morning, but just for a filter and drain bolt washer, I still have bulk oil, enough for one more change. But yeah, appreciate that's a handful for most everyone; I'd guess I'm probably the only customer buying bulk from them.

#59 Mendel Leisk, Sep 28, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
    DLC82SV likes this.
  20. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    ....and don't forget to get a NEW air filter! ;) 8 years is long enough.

I have not found a dealer around here that sells "bulk" Toyota brand oil. Individual bottles are $6, I think. Doesn't matter, I've moved on to 5W-30. My turbo Prius requires that.

DLC82SV likes this.