1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

mobil1 12 month oil?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Baldbubba, Jul 3, 2017.

1. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    But if the oil is basic because of the base, then acid would be 0. A solution is either basic or acidic.... If TBN is 0, then TAN would have meaning, as the solution is now acidic... Otherwise the Base is not doing it's job somehow...

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No idea what you talking about.

Acid builds up over time and use. It doesn't come out of the bottle acidic. Added Calcium pack is consumed by the acid so diminishes over time during use. Thats its job. Most motor oils have a calcium pack for instance has a very large calcium pack to support long life. I would imagine there is a calcium pack in the 12 month M1 discussed here. A TAN report is to see how much life is left in the oil. High acid should be changed low acid still has life left to it. This is why Blackstone although uses the TBN which is a measurement of additive pack life left the lower the number the worse it is i still prefer a specific TAN in addtion to the TBN. Lubeguard throws in the TAN.

High performance oil has no additives such as calcium its pure base stock ester. Like Redline or Amsoil oil. But not real good for very long time use as acid builds up over time since there's no calcium. But should have extremely low wear numbers. This is reflected in one of my UOA's for Redline D6 transmission oil for instance posted in the sticky's. Really good wear numbers over 3 years but the acid was starting to creep up. Some engines and trans make oil or fluid more acidic then others. Has alot to do with condition of engine or trans how old and how much blowby an engine is seeing how hot its operating conditions is it just 3 miles a day which is really hard is it driven hard then allowed to sit for extended time as moisture invades or how much micro dieseling is going on.

#22 edthefox5, Jul 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  3. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    So this is different from pH? Beyond me then....

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    yes it is basicly ph.

In the oil industry its expressed as acid.

5. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    So if the pH is above 7, I expect TAN to be 0. If pH is below 7, I expect TBN to be 0....

And if pH = 7, both TAN and TBN = 0.

6. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    On my car the test was done when the car was new however I would think with older cars with consumptive use it could definitely last a long time between changes since you are always adding fresh oil with fresh additives

7. stockdaddy

stockdaddy Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Basically if the engine was designed to run on 5w 30 weight then that's what you should use. I don't think time is as much of a factor as the miles.

All the mobile 1 full synthetics should be able to last 1 year.

8. CoastRider

CoastRider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I find it odd that my dealer in California does not use the black bottles of Toyota oil, when I come in for service. The service advisor said specifically that they use Mobil 1 (synthetic for Prius) on all routine oil changes, but if you are there for the free "Toyota Care" oil change, they fill 'er up with Pennzoil Platinum synthetic.

I don't argue or question it. Both are fine oil.

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Toyota bulk 0W30 is $4.50 (can) per litre up here, and the Mobil $10~12, bottled.

I buy the bulk, bring my own container. They have a sweet system; metered dispenser, very accurate.

CoastRider likes this.
  10. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How do you know what there using....they are telling you this?

11. CoastRider

CoastRider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well, I've been going there for about 25 years. They've been advising me that they use Mobil 1 all this time. They even put a Mobil 1 sticker under the hood on my previous car.

The dealer is owned by the auto racing owner, Roger Penske. All his race cars have sponsorship with Pennzoil (last time I looked). So I tend to believe them. (If ever in doubt, I just buy my own oil and bring it with me.) Whatever 0W-20 they use is fine, I don't care. I change it often (5,000 mi or 6 mos) so doesn't really matter what brand they use.

I'm keeping the Maint on this car very simple, and as minimal as possible.

#31 CoastRider, Jul 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  12. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Cool thanks.

13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If they push a certain brand, they probably have a motive, other'n than they're in love with it. I would go a little ballistic if they started putting stickers on my car, lol.

I suppose Toyota oil is a brand too, meh. At least the price is right.

14. CoastRider

CoastRider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The service advisor told me again today, that they have contracts with certain oil providers. Basically I think it comes down to sponsorship, or the lowest bidder who will supply oil to the dealer. (Next time you go buy your bulk Toyota oil, ask the parts man who makes that oil for Toyota? See what answer you get. I'm sure Toyota has a contract with an oil company, who makes their oil for them.)

The dealer I go to uses Mobil 1 and Pennzoil. The Mobil 1 sticker I found inside the engine compartment was several years ago, on a previous vehicle. It was no problem and easily removed.

Why does the gas engine seem to run quieter when I use Mobil 1? I'm not imagining it. Definitely quieter when accelerating. (or maybe it's because I took the drive mode out of PWR? :D :LOL:)

(Mendel, be sure and change that engine air filter! Six years is long enough. :ROFLMAO: And the cabin filter too. A rich guy like you shouldn't have to be concerned with a few bucks. ;) My two filters sure get dirty, and fast. It must be all that high horsepower I have in this new Gen 4!)

#34 CoastRider, Jul 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  15. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Has to do with how the oil adheres to the walls and surfaces. Some oils are better at this than others.

We have a 2010 Prius II with 159 k miles. I use BG Products extended life MOA with each oil change (10k miles) for a few reasons, but it does seem to help keep the engine quiet;).

BG Products also experimented with showing how well it lubricates and ran a big block Chevy for over 15 minutes with the oil pan dropped and the temp hovered around 90 -100 F:):

Hope that helps(y).

CoastRider likes this.
  16. CoastRider

CoastRider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks Ray. Good stuff! :)

Raytheeagle likes this.
  17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I checked them both this morning. Knocked a few seeds out of the cabin filter, then reverse-blew air through it. The engine filter still looks like new. (n) Maybe at 120K kms, lol.

BTW: I wish I was rich, does that count?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  18. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My mother has a saying that we all should have been born rich instead of beautiful;).

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  19. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There are at least two parts to that question.

Yes, BOTH Toyota and the local dealer purchase BULK oil (delivered by truck and pumped into a holding tank) on bid, which is used to fill vehicles. The PACKAGED oil is branded "TOYOTA" and also from a supplier, although commonly not the same that would supply the plant(s) and/or dealers.

Plus, DEALERS (not Toyota) dispense "bulk oil" thru their service departments, this also applies to coolant, ATF and other vital vehicle fluids in many cases. YMMV.

Both Mobil and Pennzoil are common in service departments, some time ago, Pennzoil was the most used bulk oil in the country.

Oil FLOW. More flow is better lubrication and overall protection, M1 flows more lpm in any engine at a given temperature than any conventional or synthetic blend of the same "weight".