1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mod Journal - Charles the Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Max Finch, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Gonna look good!!

Max Finch likes this.
  2. offib

offib Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    It actually looks cool! ... .. how did you accomplish such a feat?

Ha, anyways, this is great. And I'm getting jealous of that spoiler.

Max Finch likes this.
  3. gta_

gta_ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks awesome!

How hard was dipping the grill?

Max Finch likes this.
  4. Max Finch

Max Finch Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thanks brother

Which feat?? Haha, anybody know how much larger the Touring spoiler is than the non Touring

Dipping the grill was pretty easy. I've got large trash bags I cut along the seam to double the length. Masked the area on the top and bottom and sliced a hole through where the grill is. Then masked the new hole to fit around the grill.

Then you need to make sure the grill is clean so your new paint job doesn't look like child's play (happened to me with my badges). I just ran across it with a microfiber cloth and 80% rubbing alcohol. Spent about 5-10 minutes wiping it down. Microfiber has the ability to pick up a ton of dirt and the alcohol helps lift it while evaporating much much faster than water.

The painting process goes something like sweeping the wall or conducting an orchestra. Make sure your can is pointed at the plastic bag when you first push the nozel, then sweep across the grill and on the other side release. Repeat until you've got a nice light coat. Then wait 10-15 minutes before your next coat to avoid runs. I did 4 light coats and 3 heavy. Maybe too much but I really want it to be easy to peel off if it starts to crap out on me.

If you do mess up on a badge or grill and are having trouble peeling, I found the same stuff that helped me remove my badge adhesive from my badge delete practically desolves plastidip. I used 3M adhesive remover that's safe for automotive paint.

It'll take about an hour and a half to two hours for a clean job.

5. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    You mean one like this?

IMG_2687.JPG

IMG_0596.JPG

Pm me.

gta_ likes this.
  6. gta_

gta_ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  7. Max Finch

Max Finch Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Oh boy!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Justdidit likes this.
  8. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looking good, Max.

Max Finch likes this.
  9. Max Finch

Max Finch Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Planned on doing an all nighter last night re - assembling my headlights and fitting them into the Prii. Then I started running into road blocks, one after the other that eventually had me reassemble the car, grab a beer, and call it a night.

When I bought new housings I purchased the Halogen housings. They’re cheaper and I didn’t want to dish out $200-$300 for two housings. Nor did I want to hack my housings! I wanted to keep mine clean and in tact so either I could sell them to offset costs or keep them if I need to ever go back to stock.

First problem I ran into: I planned on keeping my OEM ballasts and using them to power my 5500k D2S bulbs. Well the halogen housing has the layout for the ballast on the bottom but there’s no cut out. Meaning I’d have to dremel a hole for my ballast wires and tap through. No big deal, I whipped out my dremel and cut away, got the wiring routed through (painfully frustrating) and then finished up by re assembling the D2R connector (my first major headache before the ballast mount). Then came the show stopper, I grabbed the headlight cap the twists over the bulb sealing the housing. It contains a wire that pairs the cars harness to the ballast, it was also much bigger than the cap for the halogen housing. I then took to comparing the two housings as I should’ve BEFORE disassembly and decided to call it a night.

I promptly went online and ordered new ballasts, and plan on junk yarding for some more wiring components so I can finish this build.

I’d hate to leave this on a bad note, I’m actually quite happy this all happened for a few reasons:

1) I can keep not only my HID housings but ALSO my ballasts and misc. wiring components. They’ll literally be a pull out and drop in if something ever happens.

2) I found a reason to splurge a little on some 50W Morimoto ballasts since I can’t really use my OEM ones without hacking them. I mean I could but I think it’d be best to use a new set to power these and the old set for an easy replace.

3) I at least got to fit the new headlights to get an idea of how they’ll look once they’re set up. Grabbed two photos and I’ll photoshop the drivers side in. This also means if I want to tweak the look in photoshop I’ll have 5 more days to play.

4) this gives me more time to let the paint set and reseal the housings. But mostly letting the paint set.

I’ll need to figure out a way to reseal the hole I made. But major lesson learned!

As of writing this: my headlights were just delivered! Exciting exciting exciting

[​IMG]

offib, Justdidit, gta_ and 1 other person like this.
  10. Max Finch

Max Finch Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Oops! By headlights being delivered I meant turn signal mirrors just gotta figure out where to tap into the blinkers

Justdidit and gta_ like this.
  11. Max Finch

Max Finch Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Turn signal mirrors are in!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just gotta finish painting them when I get the chance.

Justdidit, offib, dolj and 2 others like this.
  12. gta_

gta_ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Those are hella awesome!

13. Max Finch

Max Finch Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I’ll be honest I do feel pretty cool

gta_ likes this.
  14. Max Finch

Max Finch Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Finally got ahold of my rear sway bar from an 04 Matrix and good god those bolts to remove the bar on the Prius are a b****!! I broke my wrench trying to get that off and it’s still on even after copious amounts of WD40. It got me thinking, is there a torque specification for this bar?

I ended up deciding to hold off until I can get an air wrench to it so instead I started painting it aluminum and I think I’ll make a custom Toyota sticker to place on the facing side of the bar so all the techs that change my oil know mine is special haha

15. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, when I removed one at the junk yard on cardboard and in dirt with a normal length breaker bar (no cheater pipe) it was all I could do to get it off including using the suspended neighboring car as leverage.

Now getting the bar off the prius was a piece of cake for some reason, lol.

Pretty sure torque is around 135 ft lbs (or was it 140).

Also used the fatter bolts and nuts from the donor car and added an extra heavy duty washer on one side (bottom I think), when torquing to spec it wasn't clicking in relation to the amount of perceived effort (still not sure on the quality of those HF wrenchs) so I just called it tight enough and would retighten it if needed.

Max Finch and Justdidit like this.
  16. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    definitely get a 1/2" ratchet with a hunk of thick pipe on it, or a breaker bar and 6 point socket. yeah, use the heavier bolts too. you will love the difference it makes.

17. Max Finch

Max Finch Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I’ll probably have to grab them from Toyota if they make a huge difference. This bar wasn’t pulled from a u pick junkyard they get it themselves :/

18. Max Finch

Max Finch Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Got my Morimoto XB55 50 Watt ballasts today! Bought some 9006 plugs, stripped them, and soldered them to create a little harness that’ll go from the factory 12v connection to the ballasts without having to splice wires or pop pins out of connectors.

Also managed to find hardware for the high beams and am seriously considering seeing if I can fit the levelers onto a halogen housing as it doesn’t look like it’ll take much.

Really really hoping for everything to be installed tomorrow before my coast and redwood trip with my girlfriend! Stoked

SFO likes this.
  19. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Heading southwest into NorCal?

Max Finch likes this.
  20. Max Finch

Max Finch Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    We’re heading up to the coast in Oregon. To get there from Medford Oregon we gotta drive through the Cali border and back into Oregon! I think we’ll be in crescent city for 30 minutes haha. Basically we drive a big U. Heading through the redwoods. We love that area so we’ll spend some time, I’ll take my pics for Instagram, then we’ll continue up to the natural bridges at Samuel Boardman State Park and then to our favorite Italian restaurant in Bandon Oregon.

I want to get everything completed and clean so I can get some wild pics of the car. Also would love to have these new headlights when we head home later at night.

[​IMG]

m.wynn, gta_, Justdidit and 1 other person like this.