1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mod to Have Solar Roof Jump/Charge 12v Battery ?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by going red baby!, Dec 9, 2009.

1. going red baby!

going red baby! still a n00b

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I was reading a dead battery thread and saw a post someone made about a solar battery charger and thought what a great mod it would be if when we find a dead battery on a solar roof car that we could flip a switch and have it charge the battery enough to start the car.

Can someone get on this please? :p

Is this feasible at all? I read that it doesn't take a lot of juice to start a Prius with a dead battery.

2. going red baby!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Whoo-hoo! 100 views and zero responses!!!

:D

What could that mean?

a - stupid idea
    b - low comprehension level of the 100 who read the post
    c - modders don't have solar roofs

3. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A bean counter modder stays away from the solar option. :)

Ken@Japan

1 person likes this.
  4. johalareewi

johalareewi Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Something to do with not enough output which is why they hooked it up to a fan. Have a search in the forums. Not sure why the solar panel couldn't trickle charge the 12v battery though.

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    With good weather and a couple of days it should work. How long are you willing to wait to start your car?

Tom

6. going red baby!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I tried counting beans but I was using Mexican Jumping Beans and they got away, so I got the solar roof. :cool:

I'm not talking about the traction battery. I searched and came up with nothing about using solar roof on 12v.

I don't know... how long would it take? The sun's pretty strong most of the time where I live, although of course there would still be situations where it just wouldn't work, covered parking, night time etc...

I did read somewhere that it doesn't take that much energy to jump start a Prius since it only has to start the computer system and not the engine. So that's why I asked if it was feasible.

Seems like if it is at all possible it would be a great idea for Toyota to implement. You could have a switch that changes from solar roof to battery jumper. It would probably have to have a safety feature so that once the car is in Ready it automatically switches back to regular operation, unless that's not necessary. I don't know that much about all that voltage/electricity stuff except that sticking a metal fork into a socket/outlet or putting a running hair dryer in your bath is probably not a good idea.

Even so, seems to me that it probably wouldn't be too expensive to incorporate in mass production but would it be worth it?

1 person likes this.
  7. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There would not be enough current to jump the Prius with the solar panel. Hpwever, as mentioned, to use the solar panel as a solar charger for the 12 volt battery would be a great idea. As soon as warmer weather gets here......

Wayne

1 person likes this.
  8. AussieDave

AussieDave New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have the solar powered ventilation switched on all the time now.

The few times I have parked outside in reasonable sunshine and returned to the car I have noticed it is working, and seems to keep working until I press the start button. The best description I could give of the system is that it feels like a very gentle breeze, I do not think the solar panels are producing all that much power.

If I am confident of no rain I also leave the moon roof slightly open to encourage the hot air to rise and exit the car.

Finally found a solution to Paula thinking I have the climate control set to cold for her. Switched of her face level vents and switched on the heated seat on her side.

As you might have gathered the Melbourne weather is a bit variable, heard somebody describe it as all four seasons in each day.

David

1 person likes this.
  9. going red baby!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Right. I'm only talking about a dead 12v battery. But someone mentioned above that the solar panels wouldn't be able to do it.

So... is it possible for Toyota to add something where you can have the traction battery jump start the 12v battery? Or is that not feasible due to some sort of electrical reason?

1 person likes this.
  10. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota is just offering the jump start terminal under the hood.
    1. To jump start from the traction battery, the DC-DC converter have to be activated
    2. To activate the DC-DC converter, a good source of 12V is required
    3. To get a good source of 12V, user has to supply the 12V power via jump terminal
    Ken@Japan

1 person likes this.
  11. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hrmmm - I don't get why you cannot trickle charge the 12V from the solar panels - I'd bet the panel is 12VDC - which runs the fan.

I know at my father's house, the car battery that sits on the dock to raise and lower the boat is solely charged by a solar panel the size 5" x 12". That is plenty of power to keep the battery alive and happy through the boating year.... You *should* be able to tap into this - if I had it as an option, I would!

Or on Ebay you could buy one of these 14x5" panels for $30. Using the existing panel is a much better idea.

Jdh2425, Mark Mongold and dave77 like this.
  12. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You can, with a little effort....

Wayne

Mark Mongold and dave77 like this.
  13. paulemus

paulemus New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have the solar roof. Also solar panels on dash and a sizeable one mounted on headrest slots in back. I was using it in my Gen2 prius to power a solar veltilator hanging on the window. But I have a jumper battery on back floor and a 12-V cooler. So I am going to hook this together now, but will need it more in hot weather to keep my lunch and drinks cool with blue ice added.

14. garygid

garygid Senior Member - Blizzard Pearl

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The (or a) solar panel could be wired to trickle-charge the Battery, but it should include a max-voltage "protection" to not overcharge the battery.
    But, where to connect into the wiring to the 12-volt battery?

Question:
    Does the front Start-Up 12-volt point connect directly to the 12v battery?

If so, the applied 12-v source would need to be "strong" enough to re-charge the "dead" 12-volt battery in fthe back of thr car.

If not, the Start-Up point might just feed the electronic, and NOT charge a "too-low" battery.

Thanks, Gary

15. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Gotta be a way to turn it into a "battery minder" type trickle charger, as mentioned in other posts there are plenty of these sold over the counter. Might require some real investment tho, like buying a solar trickle charger and then adapting it.
    But is it worth it on a brand new car? Maybe in a few years, out past warranty, etc. Unless maybe you're thinking that the ventilation it provides is mostly useless or something...

- D