1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Modders Beware

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Ragz, May 2, 2013.

1. Ragz

Ragz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Have to rant about Nassau County PD "quotas" I am driving legally in the Hov lane as I have done every day for almost 3 years. On April 29th (end of the month), I see a NCPD Hwy Patrol car cruising the left lane looking for HOV violators, and I notice him glaring at me in his side view mirror. Although my car is modded with wrap, spoilers, etc, it is still a Prius and I have Clean Pass Stickers as required by law in NYS. He thought I was not legal and he wanted to pounce. As I passed him he must have seen the car fully and the cp stickers, but he was to primed. He pulled into the HOV about 4 cars back and when the small shoulder started he jumped out, got behind me and pulled me over onto the small left shoulder. He comes over with the tint detector and tells me I am ok as a single occupancy vehicle (Duh) but my tints look a little too dark. I am at 35% which is not much over what is legal in NY, and my sunroof was open so I cant imagine that it even looked that dark to him. With probaly 60-70% of the cars on the LIE tinted, and many black, he chooses to stop me in traffic, in a shoulder that has maybe 6-8" of clearence on either side. Of course the worst part is that he gave me 3 F****ng tickets. 1 for the front windows, 1 for the rear windows and 1 for the Valenti Tail lights at $130/ ticket. He shoves the pile of papers in my face and before i can even turn around he goes after his next victim. I lost alot of respect for the NCPD that day, and now I really do believe in the Quota system. Be careful out there fellow modders

2. car compulsive

car compulsive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Fixed it for you. You knew the tint was too dark and took your chances. I hate dark tinted brake lights because you often can't see them during the day.

I test drove a S2000 the other day with very dark tint that made the car feel like a cave. I told the dealer that removing the tint would have to be included in the sale price.

3. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Unfortunately, the factory glass is already tinted ~75% all around so 35% tints would put it over the limit and that's already pretty light.

The first I've heard about getting ticketed for the Valenti taillights. Was it for lack of side reflectors or something else?

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If "Modding" means breaking the law, it becomes even less appealing.

5. Ragz

Ragz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I agree that i knew they were too dark, however, to pull me over in moving traffic on the expressway is a little over zealous for such a benign infraction. If I get pulled over for a moving violation and he adds a ticket for tints, i can understand that, but as a primary violation in moving traffic?

Dawit likes this.
  6. Ragz

Ragz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Yes, Valenti lights are covered and non reflective.

For all the "law abiding citizens" out there, this is akin to getting a speeding ticket for going 56 in a 55.

The 35% was his meter so that was the total.

7. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Can go either way. Twice I've been pulled over for speeding, talked my way out of it and got ticketed for having no front license plate instead.

8. FriarNurgle

FriarNurgle Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Funny I was just commenting to some friends the other day how my Prius is basically invisible to the police. Guess that invisibility is lost when you put a bunch of flashy stuff on your car.

No offence meant, just reality.

Edit - NY tint law is 70%. Even if everyone else has darker doesn't change the law. I'd speculate he singled you out due to your car being flashy, it looks really cool but still stands out, and he was hoping to catch you with drugs or something.

9. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It's not covered as in tints and not entirely as it has fully exposed rear reflectors. The only thing the Valenti lights runs foul of is lack of side reflectors, but that needs to be specified on the ticket.

I just looked up New York tint law. Wow, front and back side windows must allow more than 70% of light in. Basically can't have any tints on top of 75% factory glass in order to be legal.

10. Ragz

Ragz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    No offence taken.

My point here is that i am a 55 yr old guy, obviously commuting from work, minding my own business, hurting no one, driving legally and this PO has to stop me and issue 3 tickets for this?

I removed the tints and slapped reflectors on the rear lights had it inspected at a police station the next day and the case will be dissmissed.

Daves09prius likes this.
  11. Ragz

Ragz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    32K, I know he was wrong on the lights, but he was out of control, by that point and there is no discussion.

12. gliderman

gliderman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You broke the law, you knew you were breaking the law, you got caught, and now it somehow not your fault. Your not a victim, your a perpetrator! The police were doing their job. You should thank them!

13. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  14. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Maybe I'm a rebel, what laws are made by people and some people are stupid but they're able to pass laws nevertheless under the radar so that others or at least the main population never gets to vote or knows about them.

Many laws are made to fulfill a certain need but are poorly written laws to spread out globally because many applications are not applicable . I was running LED lights on my license plates and my parking lights and cat getting pulled over so I changed them back to the incandescent bulbs, meanwhile people are still running around with purple lights and blue lights that blind people even know they can't see well enough to drive with them especially in the rain but they still get away with it and that's not enforced so you tell me what makes sense in what should be enforced in what shouldn't.

Alan.. Sent with Tapatalk 2

WE0H likes this.
  15. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You know, I commiserate with the OP. Who I think is someone just trying to enjoy his automobile. And idealism in application of the law aside, the police officer could of been cool and let it go.

But the problem is there has to be standards, and at some level they need to be applied. I think we need compliance from owners....don't push the tint beyond legal levels for your area, I don't care how many people you see that "get away with it". And I think Tint Shops need to help. They should be looking at where the vehicle is registered, and NOT tinting windows beyond the legal limit for that area, even if the owner begs, and swears they want to take the risk.

It's not quite as random and arbitrary as it seems. It's bad enough now, WITH standards being applied. If states decided to not apply standards to tinting at all? Can you imagine how much worse it would become?

I'm NOT a police officer, but I can certainly understand the increased risk in approaching a vehicle with heavily tinted windows. With no standards applied, how soon before a LOT of the vehicles on the road became impenetrable shells of highly tinted windows?

My bottom line has to be, tint if you wish....no problem with that. BUT...follow the guidelines and laws for the area in which your vehicle is registered and in which you do the majority of your driving.

"I'm at 35%, which is not much over what is legal"...translates to "My Tint Is Illegal".

ftl likes this.
  16. Ragz

Ragz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I will surely thank officer when i see him again. He has made the roads or maybe even the world safe from scumbag perpetrators like myself. You are an example for all of us to follow.

17. Ragz

Ragz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Some of you seem to think that this is a the result of a life of crime and that i have skated on the fringe of the law for years and finally got caught. OMG will I have to go on the registered tint offenders list? For those who think that a PO should chase you down on the Expressway for an "illegal window tint" we obviously have to different opinons on what a Hwy Patrolman should be doing, and i hope you dont Jaywalk

Dylan Doxey, Dawit and Daves09prius like this.
  18. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Just as I will never thank those who decide they are above the law, and run no reflectors, illegal tints, jacked up bumper height, lowered bumper height, illegal HID headlights, sloppily aimed lights, too loud exhausts, LHD headlights, etc. to run up my insurance rates and degrade the driving experience for others.

rekniht01 likes this.
  19. Ragz

Ragz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Just for the record this was my tint.
    CLEARLY not HEAVILY TINTED or IMPENETRABLE
    Matte Black.jpg

20. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Make no mistake.
    I believe the OP's primary motivation is simple enjoyment of their automobile. And all things being even, I usually side with supporting "Personal Freedom".

But it's NOT just this thread, not just this site. I get tired of reading threads from people who admit to knowing they surpassed the legal level of tint for their registered vehicles area of operation and ownership but then complain when they get caught.

Usually BEFORE they get caught, it's grandiose claims of "not caring" or being willing to pay the tickets....or simple declarations that "They Won't Get Caught because Everyone is doing it". But then when they DO get the ticket, then it's "Woe Is Me!....The police are picking on me!".

Whether your vehicle rubbed the officer the wrong way, or he for whatever reason decided to pull you over is rather immaterial. If your tint was illegal? It was illegal.

If your tint is within legal guidelines? If then the police STILL give you a ticket? Then I'm with you. Otherwise, it's simple....anyone driving with illegal tint.....is NOT driving legally....