1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Modders Beware

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Ragz, May 2, 2013.

1. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just because you posted within the specific sub-section forum Accessories and Modifications, doesn't mean your experience and post is going to be put in an environment that is devoid of critical evaluation.

You'll notice you reached people that agree with your stance and disagree with your stance, and often whether they "Mod" their vehicles or not- has nothing to do with it.

Basically you can't post in a public forum, specific sub-section or not, and expect uniform agreement with any opinion.

I fully support your decision to make your vehicle more attractive, fun to drive and different. In fact I would say you succeeded in doing so.

That fact, has nothing to do with the additional fact that at least some of your windows didn't meet the local tint codes.

Actually it is your attitude that is calling for a Black and White response. It's either "Love Me" and agree with my reaction- or you're in the wrong forum. Sorry that's not how it works.

2. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If the OP expressed a fraction of the attitude to the cop that he has expressed here, that would explain the C.S.ness of the citation he received.

burstaneurysm and ETC(SS) like this.
  3. p00kienrayray

p00kienrayray Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I personally don't have a problem with your modding. Not to pick on you or your mods, but I just don't see a reason for you to complain about being pulled over and cited for illegal tints.

In the pic it doesn't look like you have a sunroof :confused:

4. burstaneurysm

burstaneurysm Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Dude. We get that you're irritated at getting a ticket, but when it comes down to it, you knew that some of your mods were illegal. You got caught. Sucks, but that's how it is.

You gotta pay to play.

ockevin likes this.
  5. Daves09prius

Daves09prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Your car looks awesome! I wish I could make my 2009 look half as good as yours. People think that laws are created for protection of the innocent and safety for the masses. The road to hell is paved with good intentions. The reality is laws are a means of control and additional revenue. That's why speed limits are artificially low right before a speed camera. Or why stop lights with red light cameras have extremely short yellow lights. It's not safety it's a means of profit. Don't listen to the buffoons on this website keep modding

Bullet Salvador likes this.
  6. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You're 100-percent right!!!
    HOWEVER (comma!) I have a way that you can beat these filthy boogers.
    It works every time it's tried!!!!

When you see a speed limit sign.....uh (*!*) just obey it, and when the little light turns red?
    Stop before you get to the little white line.... :rolleyes:

p00kienrayray likes this.
  7. Daves09prius

Daves09prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Laws to enforce safety, do little to nothing to address the real world issues. I'm not advocating speeding or encourage others to run red lights. I'm simply stating the fact that some laws are created to make you, Joe or Jane law abiding citizen into a criminal in order to extract money.

8. PLSPUSH

PLSPUSH Active Member

DUDE!!!!! whats with the "(comma!)" all the time??????

9. p00kienrayray

p00kienrayray Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Even if it was created to collect money, like burstaneurysm said, you gotta pay to play. And OP knew that. If u wanna complain, don't complain about the officer who was doing what he was paid to do. Complain about the legislators.

10. NortTexSalv04Prius

NortTexSalv04Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Every since law enforcement and lawyer's have made the jump to some slice of the public that dark limo tints may have the boogie man behind them is pathetic loss of freedom. Also some cops and dispatchers are confined by some awkward protocols. I was pulled over five different times (1year) in a past vehicle because of a typo error of my tag id. The cops look for scenario and traffic behaviors they are trained on. However some of them are truly challenged.

11. NortTexSalv04Prius

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    [quote="gal.

If your tint is within legal guidelines? If then the police STILL give you a ticket? Then I'm with you. Otherwise, it's simple....anyone driving with illegal tint.....is NOT driving legally....[/quote]

Most tint installer will not sell illegal tint

12. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Pathetic loss of freedom?
    :rolleyes:
    I love it when everybody who has ever gotten a ticket is an expert in how LEO does the law enforcement thing. Seems to me instead of wasting all of that money on police academies all they really have to do is issue a few dozen traffic citations to law abiding citizens.

All of this is pretty easy stuff.
    If you're the nail that sticks up...you're going to get hammered down.
    It's one of those "we all have to share the same roads" things.

I PROMISE you that LEO would much rather be breaking down doors to meth labs, or chasing after rapists than doing traffic enforcement. ;)

13. NortTexSalv04Prius

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    que

14. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Most tint installer will not sell illegal tint[/quote]

Cough....uh, from the number of threads I've read in numerous automotive forums, not just Prius Chat, there evidently ARE a lot of tint installers that aren't paying attention to local tint laws.

A lot of them, just want to give the customer what they want. They don't want to lose a customer by refusing to give them the tint they are asking for...

Infact, on my Honda Fit, I had a windshield "eyebrow" installed. The perfectly legit and 3M authorized installer told me legally what he could install...darkness and strip size....then "wink, wink" what he would be willing to do, and what he thought I could "get away with".

Without judgement I picked the tint I wanted that WAS legal.

Daves09prius likes this.
  15. FranklinS

FranklinS Ach crivens ye scunners!

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just as an aside, here is what you do when getting pulled over:

Don't reach into your back pocket or take off your seat belt.
    Do not fidget or reach into your glove box.
    Keep your hands at 11 and 1 o'clock and leave them there.

16. GasSaver1

GasSaver1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    the cops wont pull you over for one equipment violation but if you have a lot of crap going on you are a good target. All the tickets I ever got were in Suffolk County but anything for tint or rear plate covers were always with a speeding ticket.

Tail tint is illegal 100% of the time in any shade and screams "look at me". OP totally deserves to get nailed on it. Stop crying, it just a fine. There are no points or insurance hikes connected with equipment violations and you pay to play. I have tint on my prius (windows) if I get caught then its on me and no one else- even though it was installed at the dealership and totally Florida legal I am willing to accept it.

I don't have clean pass stickers on my Prius and I never go into the HOV lane. Traffic can be a bitch but even morons know that THAT is the lane the police are always monitoring. You want to be left alone stay in the other 3 lanes.

17. GasSaver1

GasSaver1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I call BS at least on Long Island New York.
    Tinters will put on whatever you want where ever you want it. They give you a warning but its on you. My '08 had 70% transparent on everything but the windshield. It cost me $400 and there were no questions asked. In NY you cant have your front windows tinted .

18. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good advice. Also, when you pull over...PULL OVER...meaning get as far off the road as you can. This will allow LEO to use his (or her) cruiser as a shield for the cars whizzing by in the traffic lane.
    It probably won't get you out of a ticket, but it can't possibly hurt. ;)

NortTexSalv04Prius likes this.
  19. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Pretty hard to do in states like California and New York as the factory glass is already tinted ~75% and any film you apply to the front side windows would put it below the legal limit of 70%, not to mention that all those installers would be put out of business if they were to follow the letter of the law.

20. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't live in New York or California.
    Bottom line....follow the law or be vulnerable to tickets.