1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

JustDidIt - Modding My 2007....The 2008 Touring died.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Justdidit, Jul 9, 2012.

1. maestro8

maestro8 Nouveau Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    From a safety perspective, I believe this leaves room to be desired. Look how much metal is in contact between the seat frame and the Prius body when the seat is bolted in as from the factory, then look how much is in contact when all you have is a washer against the body.

You're creating a huge lever arm by putting such a long bolt between the seat frame and the Prius body, and a lot of force (thousands of pounds) is transmitted to the seat in a rear-end collision. Those bolts will tear right out of the body the moment that seat gets a hard jolt... unless you spread the force from the seat over an area larger than a stack of washers.

Short of having a custom riser fabricated out of 1/8" steel (which I'd be happy to do for a fee), I'd recommend using a stack of fender washers (>=2" diameter) instead of those machine washers.

2. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not sure exactly what you mean. The diameter of the bolt head vs the solid washer or multiple single washers doesn't change from the original. So the actual contact area that is holding the seat to the floor hasn't changed.

What exactly did you have in mind??

3. maestro8

maestro8 Nouveau Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In the factory configuration, the bolt head isn't in contact with the Prius body. It is the seat frame (more accurately, the seat rails) that sits right in contact with the Prius body. Think of the seat rail as one giant washer that goes between the bolt head and the body.

Now that I think of it, what happens to the rear set bolts for this mod? Are you simply loosening them? That's bad... you're removing nearly all the metal-to-metal contact at this point.

What might make more sense is to modify the seat itself instead of the seat mount. The part of the seat that goes under your butt isn't nearly as safety-critical as the seat rails, or seat back.

4. exbauer

exbauer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Great job on your Prius. Have you found a great mechanic that works on Prius in San Diego. I am looking for one for my gen II.

5. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    James at The Truck Shop over at 8660 Miramar Road San Diego, CA 92126 - handles several Gen2 prius taxis/shuttle service and repairs with +2ook and +300k mileage. I've always gone to him for all my Toyota needs.

Daves09prius likes this.
  6. exbauer

exbauer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, new to the area and got a used gen II. Nice to know somebody besides the dealer to do things.

Daves09prius likes this.
  7. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Ur Welcome. Glad to help!

8. Agent J

Agent J Hypoliterian

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice job on the front/rear bars. Had no problems with the Progress bar even if i still used the old bolts. No creaking nor rattles for 1.5 years. Rear doesn't tip much, but felt the fronts do need more roll stiffness. So now planning on getting a front bar tomorrow from a local yard. But it remains to be seen if i'm able to land a 24, or 22mm. No Matrix-equivalent down here (unless someone offers to enlighten me). Still confused about the corollas over here.
    Best match is a 2004-2006 ZZE122R (Corolla Conquest). I'll just bring a caliper to be sure.

quick question, did you ever feel a difference when you added the Tanabe front support bar first?

9. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Thanks! Only reason for the upgraded bolts as there were several that mentioned that the bolts held the bar in place better than the Prius bolts. As noted in my install they are a little beefier, so we'll see. Not that I expect a performance upgrade but rather just have anything come loose. I did torque the bolts to OEM spec.

Rear sway bar was an awesome upgrade....noticed prob more of a improved handling difference tho when I upgraded the Tanabe Front Support bar. Then the biggest street driving improvement/handling 2nd to the Ground Control Coil-over sleeves was the front 24mm sway bar.

10. Agent J

Agent J Hypoliterian

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks for the additional info man. been to a scrap yard today and as it turned out, the E130s with the 24mm bars never landed in Australia. Only the E120, 122, 123 were sold here and only had 21 to 23mm front sway bars, i guess, basing it on the D-bushes product codes. And all the gen2 prius here looks to be the touring edn with the 22mm front bars.

NHW20R ToyoDIY.com
    ZZE122L ToyoDIY.com
    ZZE123R ToyoDIY.com
    ZZE130L ToyoDIY.com

So it looks like i'll have to cough up more dough for this alternative: Whiteline BTF72Z 24mm adjustable sway bar. Whiteline BTF72Z Sway bar - 24mm heavy duty blade adjustable

11. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Finally mounted and hardwired my extra android phone I had laying around with the Torque app. The ELM327 ($24) I leave plugged into the car. Even with my size 12 shoe, it doesn't interfere with my driving sticking out of the bottom of the dash. Used the GA-NHWC3 found on Amazon for $15 but eBay for $12 with free shipping.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Tapped into the power cigarette lighter at the base of the dash. However this is not an 'Always on' power source so I may look into an alternate power source...or just be more conscious effort of turning off the phone when I leave the car so it doesn't drain the phones battery.

Current PIDS showing RPM, Throttle position %, Coolant Temp, Ambient Air Temp, Intake Air Temp, MAF CFMs and Timing advance displays.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Daves09prius and Hasan like this.
  12. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Ouch on the wallet...

AU eBay - $202 with Free shipping to Sydney AU - Toyota Corolla ZZE120-130 series 02-08 Swaybar 24mm F | eBay
    [​IMG]

Agent J and Daves09prius like this.
  13. Agent J

Agent J Hypoliterian

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks for the ebay.au link! didn't show up in my searches before. :p
    i'll probably buy the OEM rubber D-bushes for this to save me the trouble on potential squeaks.

Torque is a really good alternative to a scangaugeII. Too bad for me it doesn't work well alongside a SGII when i tried to use both using an OBDII Y-splitter, so out it went. If I haven't bought the SGII first, I'd be using Torque instead.

Good choice in the PIDs. Perhaps you could try replacing the two air temps with (or add) state-of-charge (SOC) and Amp draw (BTA in SG). These two along with your other chosen PIDs are the most useful info and really help me a lot in my driving. :):) You can view other PIDs anyway in other pages. I'd have one page dedicated to battery bank voltages as well to keep track if they're pretty much in line and healthy. Can't view those in SGII which is a bummer for me. :oops:

Daves09prius and Justdidit like this.
  14. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Glad I was able to help. (y)

Still haven't decided on replacing the non-greaseable polys with greasable or go back to OEM rubber bushings. So just as a precaution, OEM is probably a good bet unless u feel the rubber 'gives too much'.

The reason for the 2 air temps is for monitoring the new intake, once i have it that setup complete I'll prob not worry about it, replace it with something else such as your suggestion or get a bigger display (possibly a 6" for under $100) that wouldn't block my view much more and just add more PIDs. :)

15. Agent J

Agent J Hypoliterian

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just bit the bullet and went for it!:D Will give feedback when installed.

If you go for a tablet, 6-7" is perfect. When I tried torque, I did this. But since I stopped using the Torque app, it's now just a back-up GPS, video player and ornament. :LOL:

Daves09prius likes this.
  16. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I'm sure you won't be disappointed. The 24mm front sway bar was one of the top handling upgrades I did for my car...and I've done a few.

Your setup looks good. Ya the lil 4.3" is ok but prob a lil small 2 display the PIDs I want. Just not sure if 6" might be too big for my finickiness. :(

Daves09prius likes this.
  17. Agent J

Agent J Hypoliterian

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Had the Whiteline swaybar installed already and BOY (!) did I feel a huge difference when i turn in a corner! The front felt much firmer and planted itself pretty well upon turn-in... and this is just on the soft setting (23.5mm equivalent or +29% stiffer). The hard setting is 24.5mm or 53% stiffer than stock (22mm). One note of caution though... this Whiteline sway bar (BTF72Z) for the ZZE122, 123, as it turns out, is not exactly compatible with our Prius! The diameter of the drop link bolts are smaller (10.7mm) vs 12.5mm in the Prius. It's a good thing my mechanic had access to an industrial drill press to bore out the spring steel to spec. Another note, I couldn't use (yet) the hard (24.5mm) setting because, somehow, the sway bar is hitting the steering arm slightly when the suspension is fully unloaded (wheel dangling). We need to clear the steering arm on the full range of motion. I think it can be done by trying to move the sway bar a tiny little bit to the front as there's provision for adjustment in the clamps. I'm taking it back on friday to my other mechanic who specializes in racing setups and ask for his opinion.

In my opinion, though, the 23.5mm soft setup is already perfect. Another 24% stiffer and it wouldn't suit my current spring/shock combination. My front shocks wouldn't be able to handle the much stiffer ride. That's next in my to-do list.

I have yet to test this setup on a track and in a safe wet environment to ascertain what kind of behavior this setup (23.5mm front / 24mm back) would give me. In hindsight though, a 22mm front /24mm back already gave me a slight momentary slip of the rear on a wet road entering an oddly shaped small roundabout near where I live, which is like a small chicane that has a quick left-right nature. If this is the case, then increasing the bar to 23.5mm would hopefully make it neutral. fingers crossed! track day / skid pad here I come! :)

Daves09prius likes this.
  18. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Awesome!!

?? You can adjust the stiffness of the Whiteline??

Good to know! Thanks for posting that. Pre-drill the hole before attempting install.

Any chance of seeing a picture of points of contact? When I was installing mine, I had to ensure that the bushings are set furtherest point toward the rear of the car. When I first installed my 24mm, the bar slide forward making connection. But once I tightened down the bushing with the bar pulled back, no more connection.

19. Agent J

Agent J Hypoliterian

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, you can adjust it. :)

there are two holes, in between the two holes is 24mm equivalent. the hole farthest from the bar is the soft setting at 23.5mm while the one nearest is 24.5mm. :)

DSCN6455 copy.jpg

In this photo, the car is fully jacked up with the wheels dangling. it almost touches the steering arm even at the soft setting. Notice the bored holes? We realized to late that the holes were different and had to take out the whole sway bar again. He tried drilling it in place with a hand drill but couldn't even get 1/4 of the way in. He had to use a quality drill bit and a generous amount of drill coolant grease to bore through the high tensile steel.

DSCN6457 copy.jpg

Justdidit likes this.
  20. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Looks very similar to my oem 24mm 2006 Matrix front sway bar.
    [​IMG]

Pretty cool that the Whiteline is adjustable. Wonder about my clearance...but as far as I can tell I haven't felt any contact points when I turn lock to lock (from far left to far right). Didn't see any while installing once I pulled the bar away from the crossmember and steering rack before tightening down the bushings..