1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Model 3 best selling in class in California

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by el Crucero, May 25, 2018.

1. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    iplug and Zythryn like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    will be interesting once the tax credits are gone.

3. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Elon stated he preferred the tax credit be eliminated during the last budget approval and starting in Jan/2018. He feels that a BEV should and will be able to stand on its own merits without subsidies. I AGREE. Elimination of tax credit for BEV would hurt GM and Nissan while I think it will have little if any impact on Tesla.

Elon also prefers that subsidies for ICE vehicles be eliminated also by eliminating federal subsidies and tax breaks for the oil industry. I AGREE. let's create a level playing field and let the best technology survive.

ETC(SS) and Zythryn like this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i agree about oil subsidies and there should be higher gas taxes, but not going to happen.
    when the tax credit is gone, some potential purchasers will reevaluate.
    outside of california, there is much less incentive to buy an ev.

5. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    2017 vehicle stats - "Among used vehicles 6 years old or newer registered in California last year, Toyota led the statewide market share at 14.8 percent. Ford was second at 10.8 percent. Toyota also led new-vehicle market share statewide, at 17.2 percent, last year." As stated from the Sacramento Bee.

6. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    It should and will happen and that is why it is important to vote the oil indrustry legislators out of office.

Californicans voted to increase the State gas tax last year. The tax went into effect last January (we are now paying over $4 per gallon in many places (it also includes an annual tax on EVs to pay for road maintenance) . A referendum was put on the ballot last Tuesday by the oil lobby to rescind the increased gas tax. It lost Statewide 80% to 20%. California continues to show the rest of the States how to Make America Great Again by being, individually, the 5th largest economy in the world. We, Californicans are fortunate to live in Ecotopia!

Zythryn likes this.
  7. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Uh, @orenji show us the 2018 stats.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yeah, i think it will be a long time before the rest of the country follows cali, there are probably a couple. jersey took a big hike awhile back.

9. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    So did Pennsylvania.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    probably when peeps couldn't go over the boarder for cheap gas anymore.:p

11. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Actually, it was the other way around. Pa raised their tax to generate income for the general fund.

At the risk of going political, Christy and the Republicans brought in the gas tax increase in NJ in order to fund lowering the sales tax. Have friends that were against it because a fuel tax hits the lower income folk more. NJ sales tax doesn't apply to essentials like food and clothing. So lowering it saves those able to buy more 'luxury' items.

bisco likes this.
  12. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    2018 not over yet....

13. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Therein lies the problem for the legacy auto makers, Tesla is destroying them and the year isn't even over yet! Tesla just keeps getting stronger and stronger in 2018 and beyond.

14. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    To be fair, Tesla has a long way to go before it is destroying any of the legacy automakers, in general.
    In the focused area of EVs, Tesla is leading, and influencing many of the automakers for the better.

Now, if the legacy automakers don’t respond with competitive products, Tesla will take more and more market share in the markets they enter.
    It is rather funny, as any one of them could have squashed Tesla like a bug back in the 2010-2012 time frame. Now, it is too late. Tesla will keep expanding until competition arrives.

Fred_H likes this.
  15. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Christy is just a disgusting whale of a politician as a reminder of what's wrong with the political establishment in general (NJ in particular is exhibit A when you also consider Menendez). Did you see him stuffing his lard-laden face at the cringey WH correspondents' dinner. The irony was rich, almost on cue with the Wolf ribbing.

16. Fred_H

Fred_H Misoversimplifier

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Tesla will buy GM.

17. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Maybe, if and when GM goes bankrupt again and for good, but it is more likely that Tesla would just purchase some of GM's assets like their production facilities. Tesla would never want to put up with GM's stealership distribution model or UAW union on the assembly line.

Merkey likes this.
  18. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I actually think GM is the only other automaker other than Tesla to have the 3 pillar approach to the future: Electrification (yes I realize they aren't quite as committed to it as Tesla, but more than some automakers), Autonomy (they have a solid and legitimate autonomous strategy), and Ride Sharing (Maven has a ways to go, but again its much better than other car manufacturers).

I see GM being a very strong business for decades to come.

Raytheeagle, orenji and bisco like this.
  19. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    GM Cadillac's division will be a fierce competitor to Tesla and the world!

20. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I agree with your assessment and that is why I said "if." The problem with GM right now is that all their BEV offerings are compliance cars to subsidize their ICE vehicles. They are really not committed at all to the BEV concept. Also they lack innovation and imagination in their top management and they have a slavish commitment to their stockholders. If they can overcome these challenges, they should do well.
    I disagree, the Cadillac division could be a fierce competitor to Lexus, Infiniti, BMW, Audi, and MBZ. The only potential competitor to Tesla right now is the Jaguar I-Pace (a model 3 sized SUV priced like a model S) and the Porsche Mission E (which is a 4 door sedan priced like a model X).