1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Model 3 Build Quality Issues?

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by KennyGS, Dec 30, 2018.

1. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Tesla has already said they are going to fix the paint for him, but he wanted to take possession before they could do that.

2. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    It is a $35,000 car. It will have a cloth interior unlike the 2012 PIP/AT vegan "leather."

All model 3 right now are priced with the Premium Upgrade Package (+$5000) which includes memory/heated/power seats, premium audio, folding mirrors, all glass roof, and vegan leather interior, and more. The exact specs of the $35K model 3 have not been released yet.

On the other hand, the electronics and software will be much more advanced than even today's PIP.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the worst thing though, all these user/owner complaints are killing demand. it's obvious that no one wants to spend their hard earned money on these poor quality vehicles

#23 bisco, Dec 31, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
  4. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Well played! I appreciate some well placed irony! (y) I heard a rumor that Tesla is filing for bankwuptcy on 1/1/19, tomorrow.:eek:

Tesla has an estimated 3000 model 3s in inventory right now, today. Run down to your nearest Tesla store and buy one today, get Elon's $3750 discount, take delivery/ownership in a week, and claim the $3750 Fed tax credit. It's a h3lluva car.

5. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    And had he been called and informed of the issues and still choose to come in and "take possession" than I have little problem. My point is, especially for a $50-80k car, the buyer shouldn't have to do quality control. I can't recall any such issues the last few new cars I've bought from major manufacturers. The dealer would have taken care of any issues before I saw them. I know Tesla has no dealers but the delivery function should still perform the same functions.

I do recall sitting at a VW dealers in 1999 and watching a guy with a spray gun come in and start painting bumpers on some cars sitting in an outside parking lot where delivery damage to the bumper covers had occurred.

6. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    And I can't recall any such issues on any of the last few new cars I've bought from Tesla. I did however have exactly such an issue with the last Nissan I bought. The problem got fixed, but I had to point it out.

Anecdotal evidence is fine, but recognize it for what it is.
    In my mind, it comes down to satisfaction scores, and Tesla's can't be beat in that department.
    If some manufacturer with a great reputation for reliability wants to get off their duff, and step up, I am sure they could beat Tesla at their own game.

Anyone... anyone...
    Bueller??

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    when we bought our current hycam, the black paint was all fingernail scratches behind the drivers door handle.
    we asked them to repair it, but of course, they didn't/couldn't. rare is the car that is perfect to the discerning eye.
    anyways, it isn't long before someone rear ends you in a parking lot, making the whole point moot

8. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Here is a another report from model 3 owner @tyguy:

"I watched the Engineering Explained YouTube video criticizing the M3 quality and was disappointed in how the creator measured gaps. He only measured in one spot per gap and eyeballed it with a caliper. I've also read complaints about Tesla gaps, which didn't match what I saw in my own M3 and the models I've seen in the showroom and in parking lots.

So, I decided to measure my black LR RWD against my 2013 black Audi A4 sedan, measuring each gap of each car in 3 places using a digital caliper, including these spots:

• Hood to fender
    • Fender to front door
    • Front door to rear door
    • Rear door to 3/4 panel
    • Trunk to 3/4 panel
    And then I ran a little statistical analysis and came up with the following:
    • Average gap over all panels was 3.504 mm for the Audi, and 3.358 mm for the Tesla, meaning the Tesla gaps were a bit tighter overall.
    • The average gap on the driver side for the Audi was 3.374 mm and 3.635 mm for the passenger, with a difference of 0.261 mm. The average gap on the driver side of the Tesla was 3.435 mm and 3.281 mm for the passenger, with a difference of 0.154 mm. The Tesla was superior in side-to-side comparison of passenger side gaps to driver side gaps.
    • The max gap of one measurement in one panel was 4.57 mm for the Audi (trunk lip) vs 4.62 for the Tesla (hood corner near the windshield), giving an edge to the Audi.
    • Looking at the differences from passenger to driver side, and running a standard deviation calculation, the Audi came in at 0.402 versus 0.399 deviations for Tesla, meaning the Tesla was a bit more consistent in gaps between driver side and passenger side.
    • I also examined the standard deviation within each panel gap using the three measurements. What I found was the Tesla had much more consistent spacing within each gap when looking at the three different measurements.
    Nice job, Tesla."

Zythryn likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow, a resale is definitely not for me. i didn't realize you had to be so anal to own one. no wonder there're so many complaints.:p

10. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Seems to me being anal leads to unhappiness :D

#30 Zythryn, Jan 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    markabele likes this.
  11. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Not to be too anal about this, but I thought the word was "anile" = "old-womanish" Maybe the new spelling comes from the Urban Dictionary?

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i just googled this, and came across a pretty funny gq q&a.

13. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Any detailer who tells you that orange peel can't be corrected is not much of a detailer. All OEM paints have orange peel. Some more then others. However, high end luxury cars, Rolls Royce, Bentley, Maybach, and even the Lexus LS500 have very little orange peel. This is what you expect from a high end luxury vehicle. Color sanding is time consuming but worth the effort.

But, I guess pushing the Model 3 out the door to meet quarterly profits was more important then having high standards. SMH

LasVegasaurusRex likes this.
  14. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    SMH? So Much Hate?

bisco likes this.
  15. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Nah I love all cars! That is cars with a soul. Love to hear a living breathing ICE doing its thing! Cars that you drive, cars that has switch gear, history in racing. No appliance for me, I have an electric blender already.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i have a prius :rolleyes:

17. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That's good! You have a car with an ICE, you get to drive it! Has lots of switch gear, lots of history in auto racing. appliance maybe, depends if you leave it as a blank canvas or make it your own.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    switch gear? more like a sewing machine. auto racing? prius?(n)

19. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I guess you missed that A Racing Prius won La Mans in France in 2018 and his teammate came in number 2!

Switch gear as in having physical switches to use, not a giant I-Pad.

bisco likes this.
  20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i did miss that. do you think tesla could not compete?