1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Model 3 efficiency (first 1000 miles)

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by 3PriusMike, Sep 17, 2018.

1. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I've now had my Model 3LR for a almost 2 months and have driven just over 1000 miles. Not a lot yet due to a vacation (with out the car).

I'm pleasantly surprised -- 200 wh/mile! (Technically under 200 since I'm at 1011 miles and 202 kw-hr.)
    I've driven about 300 miles on freeways with about 80% at 65 mph on cruise control. Most of the rest is stop-and-go or very short trips. Most of the 700 miles is commuting, mostly 35-50 mph, but also stop-and-go and around town running errands. Very little use of A/C except a few times on freeway trips.

This is approaching what I got on 6 years with my Prius plugin. Of course, in the PIP this is EV mode only and not including freeway trips in HV. The M3 doesn't give you a lot of feedback, unlike in the PIP where you get to see energy use in several ways. The M3 only has a very thin line showing energy use or regen. Hard to see when watching the road. But it does have a few trip odometers (A, B, since last charge and this trip) that give you wh/mile. But no bar graphs even though there is a big display.

I'm sure my 6 years driving the PIP and almost 18 years driving multiple Prius models has trained my throttle foot.

Mike

#1 3PriusMike, Sep 17, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sweet!(y)

electric motors are so different from gas engines, i'm not sure you need all the feedback

3. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    How's the noise level in the Tesla, Any (more than averag) road noise? Cabin noise? What brand & size of tires are on the Model 3?

One Priuschat member here, who now owns a Tesla said he was disappointed in the interior build quality. He said there were rattles, and a plastic piece fell off his seat? Not sure what model he has. They are interesting vehicles. Nice looking vehicles. But I would still have that "range anxiety" during a long trip. And what exactly is the range from full to empty?

#3 Starship16, Sep 17, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    another meter just got one and it is perfect

5. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Yeah, and some wives are perfect, and some aren't.

Maybe the assembly line worker wasn't disgruntled that particular day... :ROFLMAO:

When is Musk going to MARS? We got enough CARS... Lets go to SPACE! :cool:

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well, we do know every prius is perfect

7. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I’m averaging 206 Wh/mile since April. 245 Wh/mile average since February.
    Guessing here, but I expect to average right around 250 Wh/mile annually.

Road noise is more than in a Model S, less than in a Prius.
    Build quality in mine is great, owned since February.

8. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I know your throttle foot was more calibrated than mine for throttle response around Sonoma ;).

Keep enjoying your model 3(y).

3PriusMike likes this.
  9. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The road noise is better than the Prius...but as anyone knows who has driven electrics, since there is no engine noise yo hear everything.
    Michelin tires.

The build quality is great. I haven't noticed anything wrong. No rattles.

Range Anxiety? No. I drove a PiP for 6 years and constantly tried to maximize the 11-14 miles per charge and not have to switch to gas. With 300+ miles I don't even think about charging more than once or twice a week (free 4 hrs per day at work). So I have the opposite of range anxiety. Of course, it depends on your situation, and I've had the car only a short time...but I almost never use 300 miles in a day. And rarely in a week. 300 miles a week is 15000 miles per year. I think in the last 6 years in the PiP I probably went on 1 trip longer than 1000 miles (in a week) and 5 or 6 trips longer than 700 miles (SF to LA and back)

Mike

San_Carlos_Jeff and Raytheeagle like this.