1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Model 3 has 310 mile range

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Jul 29, 2017.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: Tesla’s Model 3 Arrives With a Surprise 310-Mile Range - Bloomberg

Three hundred ten.

That’s the electric range of a $44,000 version of Tesla’s Model 3, unveiled in its final form Friday night. It’s a jaw-dropping new benchmark for cheap range in an electric car, and it’s just one of several surprises Tesla had in store as it handed over the keys to the first 30 customers.
    . . .

Well if no one else will post it.

If this Motor Trend article is what we can expect: Exclusive: Tesla Model 3 First Drive Review - Motor Trend

. . .
    What’s blanching, though, is the car’s ride and handling. If anybody was expecting a typical boring electric sedan here, nope. The ride is Alfa Giulia (maybe even Quadrifoglio)–firm, and quickly, I’m carving Stunt Road like a Sochi Olympics giant slalomer, micrometering my swipes at the apexes. I glance at Franz—this OK? “Go for it,” he nods. The Model 3 is so unexpected scalpel-like, I’m sputtering for adjectives. The steering ratio is quick, the effort is light (for me), but there’s enough light tremble against your fingers to hear the cornering negotiations between Stunt Road and these 235/40R19 tires (Continental ProContact RX m+s’s). And to mention body roll is to have already said too much about it. Sure, that battery is low, way down under the floor. But unlike the aluminum Model S, the Tesla Model 3 is composed of steel, too, and this car’s glass ceiling can’t be helping the center of gravity’s height. Nearly-nil body roll? Magic, I’m telling you. Magic. And this is the single-motor, rear-wheel-drive starting point. The already boggled mind boggles further at the mention of Dual Motor and Ludicrous.
    . . .

Excellent job Musk!

Bob Wilson

ps. My BMW i3-REx and Prius Prime just depreciated a whole bunch ... but they are not for sale.

#1 bwilson4web, Jul 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
  2. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not to worry Bob, 310mi range is with an optional $9,000 long-range battery pack!

The Std Model 3 has 220mi range...

From the Motortrend article:
    But of course, Franz’s car isn’t $35,000. A quick summing of its features puts it at about $59,500 before incentives..
    Franz says the standard one (while still doing 0-60 in 5.6 seconds) will travel 220 miles, but his provides 310 miles of range.
    .... paired with this car’s $9,000 long-range battery.

HPrimeAdvanced, RCO and CoastRider like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the good news is, 4 and 500 mile cars can't be that far away. these will help move the gassing public to bev.

4. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    400-500 mile cars won't be coming from Tesla, though - Tesla's said that they're not going to exceed 100 kWh in the Model S, and they're not going to get 100 kWh in the 3.

Based on their charge time and range estimates, the standard battery is roughly 56 kWh usable, the long range battery is roughly 80 kWh usable.

RCO and Tideland Prius like this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe hyundai or mitsi. or perhaps sufficient charging stations will reduce range anxiety.

#5 bisco, Jul 29, 2017
    RCO likes this.
  6. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't see it happening, unless someone does it primarily for a marketing gimmick.
    How big of a market drives 500 miles in a day with no stops?
    400-500 miles of range is mostly a psychological requirement. There are other ways, that are far easier, to overcome that misunderstanding from most of the market.
    I suppose there may be a niche market that goes after the 500 mile market. I would see it as the same market that used to go for the Hummer.

RCO likes this.
  7. stevepea

stevepea Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Would never consider the Model 3 because I don't want a glass roof all the time (not only because of my skin, but I hate the sun when driving -- thus all the things I did to make a better visor for the Prius). So where I very much considered the Bolt, I never considered the Model 3 (not to mention the wait and $$).

Though not for me at all, it's an interesting car. But with the Model 3, it seems just about EVERYTHING is an extra cost (a lot of which are standard on the Prime -- like lane assist and collision warning).

But here's my favorite.
    The only "free" color is black. Any color OTHER than BLACK and it costs you $1,000. Hm....

8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    [​IMG]
    Is "467.5 miles" close enough? There were no fuel stops and one attempt to put a charge on our Prius Prime.

That charging effort was at Whole Foods in Chattanooga cost $0.90 (i.e., Blink) for enough electricity to cover the distance covered from I-24 to the EVSE and back to I-24. I did go to the Whole Foods bathroom, bought a cuppa coffee, and a piece of dark chocolate:
    [​IMG]
    Whole Foods is to the left rear of this Google street view image.

Bob Wilson

#8 bwilson4web, Jul 29, 2017
    Andyprius1 and bisco like this.
  9. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The base model doesn't have the glass roof, apparently. (I suspect the rear still has it for packaging reasons, though.)

Also, collision warning is part of autopilot safety features, which are standard, I believe. It's enhanced autopilot that gets you lane keep assist (which works a hell of a lot better than I've heard Toyota's does, although I don't have TSS-P on my Prius).

As far as an extremely long range car goes... I think there could be some benefits, in that 500+ mile real highway range would enable an 8 hour driving day (my limit) without having to pick my stop based on charging availability. (One big problem I have with the Tesla supercharger network as it is today is that superchargers are usually not at the greatest places to eat, so you either lose the best charging opportunities and then spend 30-60 minutes just waiting to charge. I don't want to have to eat at Applebee's to roadtrip a Tesla. Personally, I'd like to see 2-hole superchargers spammed all over basically any area with restaurants, rather than giant 30-hole superchargers at malls and such.) However, 500 mile claimed range is really 400-450ish highway... and then you've got a hell of a lot of weight and cost to get to 600 miles of claimed range. 150+ kWh in a Model 3-sized car?

Andyprius1 and RCO like this.
  10. CoastRider

CoastRider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    310 mile range is good… But $59,000, in my opinion, it is not in the affordable price range of the average Joe & Jane, every-day working stiff. I don't think the Tesla will ever reach the popularity of the Prius.

I'll stick with my basic, relatively cheap, $25,000 Prius Three. The MPG is great, the fuel expense is very low, and I never have worry about finding a place to plug it in.

(Musk also said they are going to be in a "manufacturing hell", trying to get all those orders filled as quickly as possible. My guess is that the quality is going to suffer.)

#10 CoastRider, Jul 29, 2017
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed, but don't discount the effect of psychology.

RCO likes this.
  12. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Remember there were options in addition to the $9,000, long range battery that brought the 'as tested' price to $59,000. Big boys have expensive toys.

Bob Wilson

Andyprius1 and RCO like this.
  13. CoastRider

CoastRider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    And most of those phony "big boys" are struggling to pay their freaking rent or mortgage. What can I say, I prefer to be practical, frugal, wise with my money... (and cheap! :ROFLMAO:)

Expensive toys have never impressed me. (Even 25K was too much to pay for this little Prius Disneyland car! :LOL:)
    Debt free, and very happy. I don't need a $60,000-$100,000 vehicle just to get me from point A to point B. They can KEEP that Tesla! It's overrated and definitely overpriced.

#13 CoastRider, Jul 29, 2017
    Andyprius1 and bedrock8x like this.
  14. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I see a market for a hitch mounted, aero-efficient generator/range extender for BEVs. Also, special restrictions for AAA membership if tow calls are for depleted batteries.

15. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    As a reservation holder, I think this is a good choice. I don't think that we have the real specs of the battery pack yet (tesla is keeping that secret), but $36,200 for a 200 mile extremely good 200 mile BEV for most buyers. Then an option is $9K more for faster supercharging and 50% more range. Remember, musk now thinks that 200 is the range people demand if there are chargers (he wants to end the term supercharger, since they are simply the on road chargers, versus the slower chargers at home or work or the mall). For me 5.6 seconds (5.1 for the bigger pack) is fast enough, 200 miles is enough. The 300 figure came from CARB, which IMHO is political not a scientific number (300 miles on the old gentler EPA test). This big premium is probably for something people don't need like a v6 in a camry versus the hybrid - $6K more for the lowest priced V6 (XLE) versus the lowest cost hybrid (LE) - of course you get more stuff but going up from the lowest priced hybrid you lose fuel economy so can't apples to apples it. Model 3 is $600 more than a Camry V6, but much better acceleration and smoothness, while probably lacking some of the traditional car guy thingies. Clicking on my reservation they say you need to buy the bigger pack if you want it by january, but by march I ought to be able to buy the smaller pack.

We have 2 very desirable things - $5K for the premium package upgraded materials, upgraded stereo, upgraded seats, and glass roof. I'll have to see the difference in these 2 things to decide if its worth the $5K. Its a probably not to me. I'm sort of disappointed this is so expensive. $5K to turn on the software for auto pilot. I mean how can I not do this. It sounds like you can turn on auto pilot anytime. We know that this software right now doesn't work as well as it did with mobileye, but I'm sure they can get it right. I am just worried that they may need a better nvidia chip to do all the software they want - and hope it is in some module they can replace (processor and memory board should be modular ;-)). Sensors seem much better in the new design, so I don't think those need to change.

1 thing that may be great but I am not betting on it. That is self driving for $3K. If they get the software right I will give them my money, but ... I will not bet on this.

2 things that I can do without. $1500 to get less efficient 19" wheels versus the standard 18" wheels. Tires for those 19" wheels are probably more expensive too. $1000 for paint if its not black. I'm good with black, but others may want this.

We don't know what the costs are for dual motors or ludicrous mode. They want to get the line producing well before they allow these options, plus it gets people to buy the model S. It looks like the earliest I could get dual motor with my first day reservation is September of 2018, and that may slip.

I do like the minimalist approach to the dash, others won't and will buy other cars. I do think that I would like a heads up display (HUD) but elon says no. My guess is if enough people want it, they will roll it into the $5000 upgraded package for no extra charge. I am sure they are busy figuring out how to make these things fast and with the highest quality.

That puts me at $41,600 + ttl for a base rwd 220 mile model with autopilot. Not too bad. I think I only need to charge such a model once a week with my typical drives. I may of course add the premium package, dual motors, and self driving.

I don't think there are other options planned right now, but who knows if they will add them later next year.

RCO, TomSwift and Zythryn like this.
  16. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I see car leases in the $160/mo range advertised around my area. I see cars that are quite drive-able and get 30MPG++ at well less than $20k purchase. Now tell me why I'd buy even the $35k Model 3 rather than one of these?

Tell me in reality why I'd replace my 40MPG plus 40k miles plus car running perfectly with a car that would end up costing me in the high $40k range after taxes if it were available now? (Factoring in trade in and rebates, +$26k). Oh, be sure and add in the electrician expense of running a 240 line to my garage through a concrete wall and through 50 feet of house. And the increase in local vehicle tax.

I figure by the time I could get a Model 3, there will be other better alternatives and Tesla will either be in the dustbin of history or will be making a better car for less.

Cars are something that I find easy to create probable scenarios for that tell me the economics either do or don't make sense.

For me 200 miles for a charge at 70MPH with HVAC and radio on is the sweet spot.

I hate (and never use) sunroofs (but have owned 5 convertibles). I would want lots of the other Model 3 options but not the 19" wheels. Extra tire costs, harsher ride, more probability of wheel damage.

I want an EV for the toy and quiet factor (any car would get me where I wanted to go), could afford one with no trouble. I can't even test drive a Bolt around here. Nor get any service. Tesla service is 60 miles away. 58 miles more than Toyota.

I don't see superchargers where I typically go with the family. After every trip I go on, I plot the route I took and stops (dictated by my bladder these days) and lodgings and I seldom find easy recharging yet.

I envy you in CA and applaud your forward thinking and spending on energy. But it isn't here yet and won't be (political rant omitted).

Applause to Tesla for this milestone.

Profile:
    I'm reasonably green. I have an extra 8" of insulation in the attic, ceiling fans in every room, highest SEER HVAC available when installed, insulated hot water lines within the house, LED bulbs everywhere there was an incandescent or 4' florescent, drive a hybrid. recycle.

Electricity is on a time of day and quantity used plan. I have a $1k controller that prevents me from using any more than my limit during the expensive high demand times. I have my HVAC set to 78/68.

I have a 3+ old droid phone (good enough) and would never pay the Apple premium.

I traditionally keep a car for ~10 years. The next car I buy may be my last. I pay enough taxes that I'd get any tax credit. I could afford darn near any current car. But why?

Will look again in ~2 years.

RCO likes this.
  17. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    So $44,000 is in your range?

It is common for 'loaners' to be tricked out with every option so the reviewers will help up-sell the car. I prefer a review of the bottom trim and a list of options and up-scale versions. But then I bleed tartan.

Bob Wilson

RCO likes this.
  18. CoastRider

CoastRider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm sure the Tesla will be a nice car for those who can afford it, and want a full electric vehicle. (And no, $44,000 is not in my financial price range.) I definitely do not qualify for the big boy toys. :)
    -Fred Mertz

RCO likes this.
  19. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hmmmm... 300 mile range? Let's see. Last time I drove to the family farm in Ohio, my trip meter read a surprising 900.0 miles from home. I did it easily in one day aside from the miserable stop and go south of Cincinnati that made it take two hours to cover 14 miles on I-75. 300 miles is not going to even come close to cutting it unless chargers are as common, as cheap, and as quick as gas stations.

Still, I do admire the progress they are making.

RCO, Prius Maximus and bisco like this.
  20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    lots of people buy $35,000. cars, even though they don't need to. and plenty of other unnecessary 'stuff' too.
    it's actually a very good price for the technology, but who knows when a 35k model will be available for ready sale. in the meantime, 200+ mile bolts can be had for around 20k, net/net.

RCO and jerrymildred like this.