1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Model 3 has 310 mile range

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Jul 29, 2017.

1. Maroon

Maroon Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    No doubt. Depreciation on these is pretty harsh or has proven to be.

California clean vehicle rebate: $2,500
    San Joaquin Valley Air District rebate: $3,000
    Pacific Gas & Electric clean fuel rebate: $500

Heck, I think the 7-11 down the street chipped in a couple hundred, hehe.

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Therein lies the great dichotomy - people will cry about ev's being toys for the rich. Folks who can afford them due to those incentives will buy them ... a year or 2 later they're affordable due to the depreciation - & then people who can now afford them, cry about how much value the ev lost, yet they wouldn't have been able to buy it but for that fact. There's just no winning.

3PriusMike likes this.
  3. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    No it can't the dealer and state incentives are tied to the ZEV credits, which mean you need to drive it in a state where CARB gets to put the number on its board, and gm can sell or use the zev credits. Sure this is a better situation than the fool cell zev credits where if you buy to drive out of california you need to provide your own source of hydrogen, but these big discounts are all really centered in a small number of states.

According to the thing posted there were 3 other incentives on top of that $2500.
    Plus 4 zev credits for gm.

In the example - and who knows if its true. Because of those 4 zev credits gm was giving out -
    Which brings the total above and beyond the $2500 California state and $7500 federal a whopping $10,450 in rebates and discounts.

Texas will also give the $2500 if you buy it from a local gm dealer, and I didn't negotiate, but emailed the internet sales guy at the local gm dealer. They don't give any of those other $10,450 here, and though you might knock off $3000 from buying from a California dealer and shipping it to texas, then you would have further hassle and lose the state $2500.

Numbers only seem real for california, but I'm willing to be educated that they exist in a few other states. Certainly not in texas where the $2500 plug-in money doesn't go to you if you don't buy from a texas car dealer, which means you can't shop other states or get the money on a tesla.

As to needing california incentives to buy a plug-in, sales figures say no. There are a large number of texans that will be buying these model 3s. The bolt though, doesn't look good comparatively without the extra California juice. Number of bolts sold here will be small because people here will get a tesla or a phev in the current market, even though the state won't add incentives to the tesla.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    unless the bev is different, lots of people are buying primes in the northeast, getting the $3,500. rebate, and registering them in non carb states.

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Near as I can tell, that particular car does not have adaptive/dynamic cruise control and collision avoidance. I have no interest but there might be one that does.

Using Plugshare trip planner to reach Huntsville, there is a 270 mile problem between Lexington VA and Dandridge TN. This highlights two BEV problems, the gaps between high speed chargers and the time even they take to put a charge on the car. Of course one could add miles and change the route to avoid gaps which also adds time, miles, and charging delays.

In contrast, the Prime was like driving a super efficient, regular car: Prius Prime Plus in my hands | Page 3 | PriusChat

Bob Wilson

#205 bwilson4web, Aug 7, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  6. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    FWIW- everyone is "anonymous" and a "new person" on forums at one point...
    Every one of the discounts and rebates he got were legit and anyone else living in his area can still get today.

bisco likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is the hill getting steeper, or shallower? people tend to dig their heels in, in the face of common sense.

8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Let's leave hill out of it

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    let's ask mrs hill.:cool:

10. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well...I'm am not dissing EVs, Plug-Ins, Hybrids, Gassers, Diesels (maybe VWs), Lambos, SUVs or Monster Trucks...period. What I am saying is, at present EVs are marketed to and purchased by people that have/make a lot of Money, don't need them as their sole form of "private" transportation and can live with still developing technology and restrictive infrastructure/travel.

However, they still cost to much for regular folk...unless we tax payers help them out. But for that, you must live where houses cost 2-4 times more...property taxes are higher...there is a State Tax...utilities cost more...the general cost of living is higher...BUT...the wages are the same.

I embrace EV adapters as I did those who took a chance on early hybrids, but let's not sugar coat it. EVs are not for everyone.

...and you do not have to justify buying or owning an EV if you choose...or force your justifications on others. By all means...enjoy your toy! Just don't act like that spoiled rich kid everyone hated growing up that walked around saying his toys were newer, better and prettier...whether it's an EV with 200 mile range or Monster Truck that gets 8 mpg.

My "Signature' stands markabele, Trollbait and Zythryn. ;)

#210 frodoz737, Aug 7, 2017
    VFerdman likes this.
  11. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Frodoz737, you have some misconceptions.
    Yes, new technology tends to be more expensive. However, you are completely disregarding the used EV market.
    Used Volts and Leafs can be found in the $10-$15k range.
    New Leafs can be bought as low as $19k before rebates.

You also mention "restrictive infrastructure" and "don't need them [EVs] as their sole form of 'private' transportation".
    Either one of those is valid for some people, but neither is true for all people.
    For some, the EV infrastructure is more than enough for their purposes. Also for some, a single EV works great as their sole vehicle.

I have always been happy to state that EVs don't work for everyone. Likewise, please don't suggest they won't work for anyone without sacrifices.

12. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Volt is not EV, the jury is still out on the "New" Leaf (old was a POS) and used vehicle purchases are a whole other topic.

To clarify once again...without the semantics...I have no problem with EVs or those that have/use them. The fact remains however, EVs are still restricted use toys primarily marketed to and owned by the wealthy...and not for most people...at this time.

#212 frodoz737, Aug 7, 2017
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    when someone buys a car, it is not usually a 'toy', unless it's a toyota. many people buy bev's for real world transportation, just as many buy pick up's as 'toys'.

#213 bisco, Aug 7, 2017
    Felt, Trollbait, markabele and 2 others like this.
  14. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    There is nothing wrong with having toys...what ever you choose. I've been saying that all along.

Bee's?

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, bee's. :p i guess all cars are toys then.

16. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    For @frodoz737, a data point:
    • I'm unemployed, married
    • we make ~$50k per year
    So what does this make us:
    1. Rich
    2. Poor
    Owning two plug-in hybrids, how much EV range is required:
    1. 25 mi EV range
    2. 72 mi EV range
    3. 97 mi EV range (swap in the middle of the day)
    Does owning an EV make one 'rich'?

Post engineering specs and you'll have a lot of interest. Try to make this some sort of socio-economic, electro-political nonsense, well you are likely to run into 'shades of gray' and little push back.

Bob Wilson

Trollbait, Zythryn and markabele like this.
  17. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Just completed a 250 mile trip to DC where I used to live and am familiar with the demographics. I'm a car nut and notice.

Saw an i8 and i3 in a neighborhood of $2m+ homes. No Teslas.

There are only $32k millionaires (assets) in DC (this months Forbes just inside the back cover). DC (and its surrounding suburbs) is one tremendous traffic jam. Saw a 2 mile backup trying to get onto I95 and then another 30 miles of creeping cars/trucks trying to get to the beach combined with local traffic on Saturday. Democratic area, would seem I should have seen lots of EVs.

CA is a different world and the valley is another economic zone entirely.

#217 mikefocke, Aug 7, 2017
  18. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    At my office we have about 60-70 people (out of ~700) that drive EVs and use the company chargers.
    I wouldn't categorized a car used to commute to work every day as a "toy" but that's just me, I guess.
    We have several people with Tesla's but the vast majority are low end trim of the Leaf. The drivers range from low to high salary people.

Mike

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    can you imagine the conversations a hundred years ago? dear, did you see that the neighbors bought one of those new fangled toy automobiles?
    what? only rich people can afford those, they don't go everywhere like a horse, and you can't buy them in every state!

20. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    And you have to put gasoline in them!

Bob Wilson

bisco likes this.