1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Model 3 has 310 mile range

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Jul 29, 2017.

1. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, at least until that household can afford a Tesla, or non-Tesla charging infrastructure gets much better.

2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    How many households with 2 to 3 kids have two minivans or midsize SUVs?

austingreen likes this.
  3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    one's wants vs. needs can change in a very short time. Just one short decade ago, 'peak-oil' was a major concern. Fuel costs were at an all-time high . Suddenly the inconveniences of hybrids & EV's was more & more tolerable. If anything is learned from (inevitable) fossil fuel shortages, it's that somewhere above $3 - $4/gallon, hybrids & plugins quickly change from 'meah' ... to "boy, i need one".
    Fracking has been a major driving force behind larger surpluses of fossil fuels, but (lest we remain short sighted) it won't last forever. In fact - fracked wells exhaust notoriously quick, so the tech requires lots & lots of new well pads to come online to make up for the hundreds of the quick burn outs. The faster we grow the economy the quicker we meet up with that final destiny (unless you're counting on Mr Fusion between then and now). Wana hope for another financial crash to slow down the inevitable shortening of fuel supplies?

What better time for the model 3 to come onto the market .... a relatively long range - & relatively quick charging electric, that many more people can afford . Boo hoo, & waah waah - it's not perfect (the enemy of good enough, as Bob would say) - but imo, it couldn't come at a better time.

markabele likes this.
  4. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I guess I'm a little different. When we evacuate, we take every vehicle we have loaded with the important/expensive stuff, pets, supplies, clothing, etc., which is kind of the point of leaving.

Not a bad plan but even the best built to code structures still typically suffer roof damage so it's pretty doubtful fragile solar panels would survive anything above a cat 2. It's not necessarily the winds speeds themselves that do so much damage it's the airborne loose materials that become projectiles.

This year has finally convinced me to get a generator and stash about 30 gallons in the shed before next season starts and transfer it to cars and lawnmower after the season ends.

Felt and bwilson4web like this.
  5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Do Solar Panels Meet Miami-Dade Hurricane Wind Requirements?
    "..... What is required for permitting solar panels anywhere in Florida is that the system meets the Florida Building Code. The 2010 Florida Building Code is now the effective code, and this requires that solar panels (components and cladding) meet wind loads that are imposed upon them. Solar panels must be firmly attached to the building and have enough attachment points to resist wind uplift. The weight of solar panels is negligible and rarely needs to be considered. In most of Southwest Florida, the ultimate design wind speed is 160 mph. In Collier County there is a large area that requires 170 mph, and Marco Island is 172 mph. Using calculations in accordance with ASCE 7-10, engineers determine the wind uplift at any given attachment point and ensure that the attachment method resists the required load at the design wind speed with a safety margin. ..... "

The bottom line is, eventually the entire utility May blow down, all of the utility poles May blow down, your roof May blow off, your entire home a blow away, so the fact that panels got destroyed becomes small potatoes. Make sure your life insurance is paid up as well as your homeowners policy.

#505 hill, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    Lee Jay likes this.
  6. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
  7. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Yeah on most of those islands that took the Cat5 head on, the better built (concrete) survived while anything wood framed is gone........ :(

Here's a very telling one of the before/after of Harvey. It's kind of clunky and works best by entering an actual address:

Hurricane Harvey

As expected but again doesn't account for projectile damage, tree falling, etc. I wonder how these higher hurricane specs affect installation costs there? Will the new Musk solar tile roof design conform?

8. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    There was time to plan for these evacuations. Time to get even a low range BEV out of harms way.

Then on the individual scale, evacuations are not a regular occurance for me to plan all my car purchases around.

With or without PV panels and a battery, a generator won't hurt.

Necker Island has a sizable PV installation that appears unharmed by the hurricane.

Really, if the forecast is for a powerful enough storm that flying debris will be a major issue, you probably should have left.

9. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I use an inverter hooked to the 12V battery of my Prius. Really, where else are you going to get a near-silent nearly 40% efficient generator with an 11 gallon tank for under $200 (the cost of the inverter)?

By the way, does the Model 3 provide easy access to the 12V battery, unlike the Model S?

bwilson4web likes this.
  10. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Can't move the car up to the second floor when the levee fails;)

11. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Can't have a generator in the house either.

12. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Wondering if all these Tesla bears put their money where their mouth is and short the company. Personally I am long Tesla, both from a theoretical standpoint and a financial standpoint. I am a shareholder.

Tracksyde and bisco like this.
  13. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Yeah, east Penn isn't really affected by these phenomenons and for the same reason I don't participate in snow tire threads, we all live in different realities.

14. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I find FWD with all seasons is fine for the few times I have to drive in snow.

With there just being two of us, we would likely have left one car behind during an evacuation, even if it wasn't a plug in.

The perception that you need all your cars to do everything is a big reason for how large SUVs got so popular in this country.

bisco likes this.
  15. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Haha, so true.

...but...but...what about those times I need to go off roading to evade an evil motorcycle gang?

16. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Exactly. And trucks. The "What if" factor. This is a big hurdle for BEV's to go mainstream that, I think, only a quick fill solution can solve whether folks actually need it or not.

Quite a few (400,000? over x years) think the M3's range and supercharger network will work for them which is a good start.

markabele likes this.
  17. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Better yet is a set of All Weather tires. The ones I use are Nokian WRg3 (AWD tires have the same snoflke symbol as "snow" tires).

JeffD

18. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    [​IMG]
    really?

[​IMG]
    Our whisper quiet (mod'd to run tri-fuel) CARB compliant 240v Honda 6.5 KW actually can run indoors, with its venting system, not that I'd ever want to, but who would have thought. We do run it in the closed-up garage, during power outages but it vents outside.
    Because you never know when the zombie apocalypse will strike.

#518 hill, Sep 14, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    RCO, Tracksyde, Trollbait and 2 others like this.
  19. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Will the zombies have motorcycles?

20. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Don't know . . . But . . .
    Ok! - are you ready for this?
    The Model 3 used car market has begun;
    want to jump the line of >400k? Here is your chance, all it will cost you is a measly
    $150K. ~3 to 5X the original MSRP.
    :eek:
    Used Tesla Model 3 Posted On Craigslist For $150,000
    Any takers?
    EDIT
    the contractual boilerplate according to that article says they can't sell it above MSRP. Pretty easy to get around that. You sell the car to a friend or family member, and then THEY sell it.
    I can hear that VP getting dragged into Musk's office now, "I'm SOOO sorry Elon, I didn't know my granny would turn around and sell it ...."
    Muah ha ha ha ha !!

#520 hill, Oct 12, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    RCO likes this.