1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Model 3 has 310 mile range

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Jul 29, 2017.

1. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Simple is sensor/motor activated glove box? Fuel lid? Door locks? Etc. Imagine owning one of these after the warranty runs out.

2. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the reason for the locking glove box is for valet and (hopefully) someday the Tesla Network. And the plug in port is simpler than on their other vehicles. Actuators and motors are MUCH more reliable then they used to be. This isn't the 1980's where your motorized windows would break down every other year.

Tracksyde likes this.
  3. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    This is incorrect.
    Tesla has long planned for the Model 3 to be easier to build. I am sure the Falcon wing doors reinforced that decision. But it is not the reason why they went that way.

4. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    And you said that to someone who had an actuator fail/replaced in the last 3 months leaving him stranded 3 times. I don't disagree with the notion that they have gotten more reliable, just that the Model 3, as an example, has so many statistical probability of failure ramps up and there is only one repair source and one parts source.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the falcon doors went away?

6. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Unknown. But the whole concept of making the car easier to build and maintain has been around about as long as the 'secret master plan'. Frankly, when Elon was asked about falcon wing doors on the Model Y, I was very surprised that he didn't answer "absolutely not". However plans change, so even if Elon says 'maybe' or 'probably', I don't believe they will be there.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i hope you're right. i have my eye on the y, but not with wings.

Felt likes this.
  8. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The Y will be a crossover, it will use the same battery packs and motors as the 3, and it will be designed for manufacturing.

The falcon wing doors have not, and will not be going away for the model X. That means tesla has continued to pour engineering and manufacturing resources into improving quality and lowering costs. These costs are now sunk (already paid for or will be paid to maintain the current fleet). Depending on the improvements these may make it to the next generation X or other tesla vehicles.

My guess is tesla will benchmark the crv, rav4, escape, rogue, x3, q5, glc, etc. Then tesla will design the crossover from the ground up. They don't really have the same constraints for room and center of gravity as the battery simply increases the floor thickness. Off road capability of a bev versus gasoline suv is compromised though because of the heavier weight, but most of these suvs are not going on rocky roads or taking tough attack angles. As such, I doubt the model Y will incorporate falcon doors, as this would add to the cost and weight, while not really improving SUVness. A bigger crossover/minivan might have such doors though. I would expect the Y to be longer and taller than the model 3, with lower efficiency in exchange for more utility. Perhaps there could be a longer Y with falcon doors, but I would not expect that to be first out of the box. This would be similar to the european c-max with a longer version to carry more stuff.

9. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: Tesla Model 3 Review By Edmunds - Video

As many of you are aware, when Edmunds acquires a vehicle for long-term testing, there’s generally an initial article/video, followed by more detailed information at a later date, and then concluded with a recap at the end of one year of use. This is meant to give the reader an idea of what it’s like to “live with” the vehicle.

[​IMG]
    Tesla Model 3 interior

Being that this is just Edmunds’ introduction post, the publication hasn’t had an opportunity to get into the nitty, gritty details about the Tesla Model 3. In fact, Edmunds has not yet taken the Model 3 to the track. Nonetheless, we look very forward to the wealth of details that will come from the upcoming process.

Bob Wilson

Zythryn and Prodigyplace like this.
  10. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Looks pretty neat except for all the additional rear enders that are going to happen.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't like having to take the key card out of my wallet to unlock the door, seems like a step backward.
    i wonder how the touch scree works with heavy gloves on.

#651 bisco, Jan 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    jerrymildred likes this.
  12. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I forgot about that. But I felt the same way. He did say that you can use it to program your phone to take the place of the card, but didn't say if you then need to use the phone like the card or leave it in your pocket. I wouldn't think the NFC in the phone would have enough range and either bluetooth or wifi would have too much range to satisfy my security concerns.

HPrimeAdvanced and bisco like this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't have a phone. maybe they give me one and pay the monthly bill if i buy a tesla.:p

i recognize the tesla concept is geared for technoratti. i will have to look at bolt/leaf/ionique or whatever else is available at the time, if i decide to go bev.

jerrymildred likes this.
  14. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    looks like he's saying 'way' not 'going' away ... iow, (model 3 being the topic) making the model 3 simple, IE going that way (simple) - not suggesting the FWD's are going away. As for the FWD's ... I could see them staying or going away. 50/50 either way. They're definitely more complex than an old fashioned door, however now that the bugs are worked out, they might want to amortize more of the value that they put into the design. All speculation at this point

15. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    it's collision avoidance has never been faulted, so far ..... And that's after some 4 billion accumulated miles. No car is idiot proof, and they have been involved in accidents, further proving that point. Even Boing 777 pilots (& passengers) are expecting the appropriate amount of attention to be paid to what's going on.

Prodigyplace and jerrymildred like this.
  16. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    From what an owner told me, you don't, but you do have to have the wallet next to the sensor. It also can't be a wallet that blocks those signals (which mine is).

Felt and Prodigyplace like this.
  17. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  18. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm surprised at the problems with the model X doors. All they are is a mini van rear door on the side of the vehicle. They seem to have the mini van figured out. lol

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well, taking your wallet out is not an improvement either.(n)

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you'll have to link his comments, i can't figure out what the definition of is is.