1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Model 3 has 310 mile range

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Jul 29, 2017.

1. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The older I get the worser I spell. lol

2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Much of the driving public still has to deal with actual keys and fobs that have to come out.

padroo likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, for them it will be a blessing. we're spoiled. still, you'd think tesla tech would be savvier.

4. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The future is linking the "keys" to a phone or other smart device. You almost don't need a wallet anymore as it is now.
    But you will still need back up car keys, and a card is better than some fob. It isn't bulky, and can fit in a wallet if you still have one.

Then it doesn't need a battery. No more worries of button batteries for car keys leaching mercury into the environment, nor them ending up in some kid's throat or nose to cause health threatening burns.

markabele and Zythryn like this.
  5. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Used 4 different cards from my wallet today as I visited a doctor's office, a gas station and a grocery. At the doctors office, they have an online portal where personal info is recorded but still required 9 pages of written information. So not everywhere is quite so keyless or cardless or paperless. OTOH, I use cash only two places in an average month.

pilotgrrl likes this.
  6. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You know what? No matter what, this won't keep some of the pessimists of such technology to let down their badmouthing of HEV and BEV technology.

Nice job Elon!

I just hope Toyota isn't sleeping though

7. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    bisco - On the last page you asked about the sun roof in July. That was a concern of mine as well. I am prone to have skin cancer and I live in the high desert .... lots of sun.

6 or 8 months ago I asked the same question and was assured the roof window does not increase the inside temperature and it blocks the cancer causing rays. I have two cars with roof windows and rarely open them ... so, I would be just as happy to have a solid roof.

It has also been suggested the roof window enables the robots to do their work from above, through the opening.

bisco likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i haven't heard that last part, interesting. i would certainly entertain a test drive in the warm summer sun to find out, but like you, i have never used a sunroof. will be a fun test drive, that's for sure!
    when i had a miata, i only put the top down in the evening, or on cloudy days. i just don't like the sun on me, and haven't spent a minute in it since my kids grew up and we stopped going to the beach.

Felt likes this.
  9. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Apparently one of the biggest requests coming in for the Model 3 is for the car to be able to do more of the screen functions via voice commands.

Musk says Model 3 owners will "be able to do pretty much anything" via voice

... and so ... one of the soon to be added over the air updates will be just that.
    Soon these cars will be able to just about anything !

I can hear myself now .... "tesla ... tell my boss to gimmy a raise"
    :D

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that would solve a lot of concerns.

11. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I have the same concerns, but do like moon roofs.

Even without special coatings and treatments, glass blocks much of the UV rays; which is why Transitions glass lenses do not go dark inside a car. Car windshields have been getting treatments to block heat causing infra red light for several years now, and roof windows all appear to have tinting to some degree. All the moon roofs I've been under had such.

Clouds don't protect you from cancer causing rays.

Felt likes this.
  12. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The following reprint appeared on a Tesla Forum. I don't suppose it is plagiarism when you give credit to the source?

(Quote) A professional driver posted his reactions to the Model 3 on the BMW Car Club of America forum. I thought his perspective was interesting given his lack of history with Tesla and his obvious fondness for driving BMWs. Professional Driver On A Closed Course | BMW Car Club of America

A few highlights:

"And speaking of torque, there was enough on tap to power a Washington D.C. Metro train—but that is a dangerously journalistic statement. The small-rimmed leather sport steering wheel was connected to delightfully crisp and direct steering, too—okay, that may have crossed the line."

"Despite my lack of seat time in the car, it did what I asked with ease; it was communicative, composed, and surprisingly neutral, despite my not being able to figure out how to defeat the stability control. The steering, brakes, and balance were all on par with my expectations of a sport sedan—think E46 M3—but I’d better stop before I get too journalistic. I thoroughly enjoyed it—and no humans, cars, or cameras were injured!"

"We wrapped the day with sunset static shots at the base of the Rocky Mountains, their pyramid shadows protruding steadily to the eastern horizon. The silence of the moment was piercing, unbroken by the normal ticking of petrol-engine components cooling after a spirited drive. As I stood there—minding my reflection—it was clear that I was staring at the future. This car is a game-changer; it will be relatively attainable compared to its predecessors, and it was even able to satisfy the driving bias of an old-school BMW-lover like me. I really didn’t want to like it, but I found little to complain about.

I was grateful to have the opportunity to participate in the film and contribute to its subject’s noble cause, but I couldn’t help contemplating that something greater was occurring in that fading sunlight. It was an intersection of the past and the future, one where an old-school driving enthusiast like me could experience what is clearly the future—and not have to relinquish the experience that I hold dear." (close Quote)

Zythryn and bisco like this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's the heat i don't care for, feel like i'm burning up. i'm a shady character.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    amazing he could live without the vroom, vroom!:p

Felt likes this.
  15. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That's Mazda.

Felt likes this.
  16. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Even though the model X has zero UV rays coming through the rear hatch, as well as the massive windshield, & thru the upper FWD door upper/roof windows - heat can still come through on those hot summer days. For those folks not wanting any heat, Tesla sells as accessories - snug fitting screens that tightly fit inside those areas to block Heat as well as light, (for all you vampires that aren't day walkers). So they'll likely do the same for the 3 - Mr Shady.

#696 hill, Jan 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    bisco and markabele like this.
  17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    excellent! even the prius greenhouse is too much for me.:oops:

18. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Obviously there are several of us that watch this thread and offer comments from time to time.

Today I looked at insideevs.com and they tabulate monthly sales. The list is long and I only selected a few:

Tesla S. 4075
    Chevy Bolt. 3227
    Tsala X 3360
    Prius Prime. 2420
    Chevy Volt. 1937
    Nissan Leaf 102
    Ford Fusion Energi 875
    Ford C-Max Energy 436
    BMW i3. 672
    Tesla 3. 1060
    Hyundai Ioniq 79

I assume the data is accurate? I was surprised at Volt .... lower than I expected. And look at the Leaf .... why bother making it?
    I'd imagine Hyundai is very disappointed with the sales of the Ioniq. I for one lost interest, but I thought it would sell better than it apparently is.

Any thoughts?

#698 Felt, Jan 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  19. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    More appropriate for the Monthly Dashboard thread?

Prodigyplace likes this.
  20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    couple of thoughts that have been mentioned, bolt is cannabilising the volt, and new leaf is on the way.
    not sure how many hundays are available yet.

Trollbait likes this.