1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Model 3 has 310 mile range

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Jul 29, 2017.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Jeff Cobb also publishes a monthly summary which I collect in a four month, running summary:
    Dashboard summary December 2017 | PriusChat

Bob Wilson

Felt likes this.
  2. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Embedded in the video are segments of Monroe engineering doing a tear-down of a Model 3.

Addresses first responder access to disable high voltage:

Not happy with the window, weather proofing liner:

Monroe has a formerly borken hand that makes opening the door a two-handed operation. It might be interesting to see if a left handed driver might have trouble.

Bob Wilson

3. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Conservative people drive conservative cars, nice post!

4. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The Monro, initial review:

Bob Wilson

Andyprius1 likes this.
  5. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Bob, would like to have you around here on these threads for a long time. Please do not place that video on a Tesla fan site.

6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Well, that Monroe dude definitely wasn't too happy with several things ...
    But doesn't DOT (Department of Transportation) have final say to weather emergency exit process is adequate or not - weather electrical, gas, natural gas, or hydrogen? just because Grandpa has an issue with emergency egress (undoubtedly while yelling get off my lawn!), doesn't mean fire departments will, because emergency responders have this great thing called "training". and, many will recall the same fud when the 2nd generation Prius came out ....as the hand ringing fear-mongers decried "oh no! High voltage! what ever shall we do! " ... because, "it may shock us or catch fire!" So yea, fire departments everywhere had to know/learn what cables to cut or not cut, when/if using the jaws of life.
    WHEW!
    It's a wonder we survived back then. I wonder if Grandpa worries about gasoline fire explosions regarding emergency responders. After all ... statistically gasoline fire dangers are over a 1,000 fold greater danger.

#706 hill, Feb 2, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  7. Fred_H

Fred_H Misoversimplifier

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  8. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    The reviewer seems a bit critical, don't know if equally critical of all vehicles, others who are familiar might know. From what I saw, some of the things he pointed out seemed legit, particularly to door handles and some of the weather trim. I actually thought the stronger trunk struts were nice, a matter of personal taste for me. Every vehicle I have owned has had "meh" strut strength at the beginning and after a couple years, they all lag.

I will be cross shopping the Model 3 next year to possibly replace out Leaf lease, even if it means having to buy a slightly used one. I didn't get on the pre-order wagon for a few reasons including the fact that Tesla would be working out some of the engineering bugs the first year.

9. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    "Out of this world Tesla." I suppose it will get milage like no other car.

Seriously, I'd love to know more about the 'Payloads" telemetry .... It obviously has several cameras; and I was told that "Starman's space suit is a prototype spaceX suit that will monitor and send back to earth all sorts of read-outs on it's performance. It seems to have some sort of power source other than the Tesla battery-pack, because I was told it will send back data for years.

Disclaimer: I could be wrong... if so I am a victim of what I was told. Normally, I would be skeptical .... but EM seems to have a knack of doing near-impossible things.

10. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: AD #2285 – Luxury SUV Sales Leaders, Geely Buys Stake in Daimler, Fuel Cells Making Progress – Autoline Daily

. . . We critique all kinds of cars, pointing out the good and the bad. It’s been an eye opener for me that any criticism of Tesla produces the most angry backlash from its supporters. . . .

Ok, so I posted:

Owner of two plug-in hybrids, I have no interest in any BEV car. But it also means some detachment from the Tesla community.

So look at last week’s Model 3 review with not one positive comment. Do you also pickup babies and say,”What an ugly child!” Said in Dixie and someone is going to need medical help.

Elon has disrupted the high end car market with the Model S and X. From scratch, he not only brought 200+ mile EVs to market but also the 24×7 Supercharger network while the Big-3 dealers lockup their chargers at night and weekends.

Poke ‘em with a sharp stick, what would anyone expect? … “Thank you Sir. I’ll have another.”

Over the top?

Bob Wilson

RCO, Trollbait and bisco like this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    spot on.

12. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Agreed, very reasonable.
    I’ve found that there are a few people that immediately shut off when they hear any criticism, but that is very few.
    Are owners passionate? Absolutely!
    I myself am incredibly passionate about Tesla. I am also one of the first to acknowledge the warts. But I will also be one of the first to call people for falsehoods, or obviously biased criticism.
    No difference to my reactions when the Prius was illogically targeted with bad arguments (such as the nickel mining brouhaha).

Trollbait likes this.
  13. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    I realize all manufacturers buy the other companies' cars, especially if it looks like it will be a threat to their own offerings, but knowing that, it kind of makes one wonder why the other manufacturers are so quick to dole out big cash to get their own hands on some model 3 build data - being such a horrible car & all, according to this writer.
    Tesla Model 3 bought for $100K to be dismembered by competitors | Torque News
    (any chance there's a blood relationship of the author to Art Spinella? )
    hmmmm ... kinda makes one wonder .... if all these other guys are on the cusp of their own "1st affordable/roomy/long-range" EV delivery, are they hoping their rev 2 will be better, based on their model 3 findings?

#713 hill, Feb 8, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    RCO likes this.
  14. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  15. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Before the copyright hounds strike:

Bob Wilson

16. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I'm still not sold on the cost-reducing design/location idea of the single tablet. Many of the interface issues can be dealt with in software updates but the lack of tactile feedback in many situations, the importance of which can not be overstressed, has been the main concern.

But I just read a new report that brings up something I hadn't considered yet: crash worthiness. Putting a fragile glass and thin metal object in the path of crash victims has unintended consequences too.

"the screen construction itself seems to be a source of some issues. When the car crashed, the passenger’s arm hit the screen, causing it to shatter and giving him some cuts. The injuries were minor enough, but the screen still caused injury, CNET said."

"In response to the glass screen shattering, Musk thought of a thin plastic guard that could cover the screen and minimize the possibility for injury. "

Source: jalopnik (sorry, embed link went crazy)

17. I'mJp

I'mJp Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Three
    I think that I'll wait for the second year production run of model 4.

18. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I completely understand your position on the tactile feedback, although I disagree.
    For me, having just a few physical buttons (preferably programmable) such as in Tesla vehicles, offers more advantages than disadvantages.

Here is the quote from the driver of the crashed vehicle:
    Link to article: Tesla to make improvements to Model 3 after Elon Musk comments on crash aftermath | Electrek

RCO likes this.
  19. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Having done a lot of UI design and usability training, I've got to say the problem is not the screen. You are correct that some context aware buttons outside the screen are important. The model 3 has 2 trackballs and 2 stalks. That may be enough, but IMHO it could use more controls and different types. I think my gm rental car last week had about 15 buttons on the steering wheel, and some bizarre extra controls. It was overkill and made it more confusing to use.

A heads up, or small LCD also might make things a little better. IMHO a big screen is better than most traditional instrument panels.

I've got to say that crash shows just how safe the model 3 is, and how much better tesla is doing in fixing things than the big automakers. 60 mph crash and only minor injuries is great. It looks like they will soon implement a fix to reduce the chance of the screen injuring someone in a crash. It often takes over a year for one of the traditional auto companies to fix problems that cause major accidents.

#719 austingreen, Feb 18, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
    RCO likes this.
  20. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I want things I use every day especially under changing and/or stressing circumstances to be readily reachable and distinguishable by location and feel without my moving my attention from the road and traffic for longer than a split second. They should be reachable by the driver without having to reach as far as the far side of a screen. Even commonality of feel and placement between brands/models matters for those who rent cars. Last thing you need to do in unfamiliar circumstances is be searching around on a screen for some control and then reading some secondary status readout when it really matters. Think for a minute how upset and distracted you get when you are in an unfamiliar city and your GPS app fails.

Things like lights, wipers, turn signals, cruise controls, phone on and off, audio volume/on/off/ audio tune and seek.

Less often or less demanding use controls can be via a screen.

IMHO

RCO likes this.