1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Model 3 has 310 mile range

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Jul 29, 2017.

1. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Well don't buy a tesla. I don't know what you need to be doing while driving that hits the far side of the screen. A iphone is not for everyone, but apple would be silly if they tried to make the phone work for everyone. The same for tesla.

I rarely touch the lights of a car when they have an automatic setting. Turn signals, wipers, cruise control, autopilot are on stalks. You do need to adjust wiper speed on the screen, but hopefully its software will set them well most of the time automatically. Why are you turning your phone on and off from the car? Do you mean making calls? There is voice control or screen. I suppose a hang up button wouldn't be out of order, but I want to see whos calling before answering so I look at my screen anyway. Traffic too tough to glance at the screen, then its probably too tough to talk on the phone. There are track balls for the audio functions, again easily felt on the steering wheel.

RCO and Felt like this.
  2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I was thinking 'voice activated' but if you have a passenger, the results could be ... amusing:
    • Driver,"Siri"
    • Siri,"What do you want?"
    • Driver,"Windshield wipers on fast."
    • Kid,"Lights OFF!"
    Bob Wilson

RCO likes this.
  3. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmmm, do you see this behavior now with passengers changing settings on the center console?
    Lights probably aren't on there, but HVAC, music and such are?
    I have never had a passenger change controls, voice or buttons.

4. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited

RCO likes this.
  5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Bringing the wife's Model X in for service - a glitchy dash yellow triangle issue, lo & behold - lookie what's behind me in the "wait-for-service-to-open" line;

20180219_072701.jpg
    Admittedly my sense of humor is weird, but I'm resisting the temptation to get out & ask the owner, "how's that new car working out for ya?"
    - that's how one's mind rolls - with a ½ dozen cars waiting to get in, in front of ya .... it's good to be the only game in town.

#725 hill, Feb 19, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  6. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: Tesla Model 3 impresses German automaker after being reverse-engineered | Electrek

“Each sub-assembly system was put to the test, but the testers were especially impressed by the power electronics. Compact, expandable, fully integrated, modular, easily accessible, well-protected, reasonably priced and astonishingly clever in many details – that was the verdict of the experts, to which colleagues from other manufacturers also agreed.”

Aside from the engineering, they were also impressed by the design. They went as far as saying that Tesla “perfected the minimalist design” – referring to the Model 3’s interior.

But they see the minimalist spreading to the powertrain:

“This minimalism runs through the entire vehicle. There is initially only one engine, only one forward and reverse gear, only one driven pair of wheels, only one cooling circuit for the entire system.”

Unfortunately, the publication didn’t share many details gleaned from the reverse-engineering aside from the impressions of the engineers and testers.

Source: Teslas neues Glanzstück: das Elektroauto Model 3 - Auto & Mobil - Süddeutsche.de

In contrast, the Volt/Bolt sketches seen in my engineering magazines look 'busy' with too many parts and subassemblies. I'll see if I can find some images:
    2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV Drivetrain First Look (w/Video) - Motor Trend

[​IMG]

Bob Wilson

#726 bwilson4web, Feb 20, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    Felt and VFerdman like this.
  7. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Germans impressed with minimalist engineering?! I hope they take it to heart. As much as I love German cars, they are some of the most over-engineered machines out there.

bisco likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    impressed, but will not make an impression.

VFerdman likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    now that they've reverse engineered it, does that mean no patents apply?

10. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Didn't Musk release some of Tesla's patents into public domain a few years ago? Ostensibly to stimulate EV development.

11. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    yes - but they still 'em buy & tear 'em down

12. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Shortly after getting our first Prius, an article came out about GM buying a Prius and taking it apart. At the time I joked they were trying to figure out where the high MPG came from. Of course not having access to the software and control laws ... it was invisible so they went with two-mode transmissions, BAS(tard), and embedding the word "hybrid" in the body paint style. They didn't work either.

Bob Wilson

VFerdman likes this.
  13. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Do you remember when high beams were turned on by a foot switch?

The manufacturers stopped with that when they realized it was cheaper to have the switch on the steering column and run the wire through the same hole with a bunch of other wires.

RCO likes this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my old mercedes had a foot switch for a wiper wipe.

RCO likes this.
  15. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    One of my Cadillacs had a foot switch to activate seek on the radio. I used to step on it and then yell at my passenger to stop changing the station.

RCO, hill and DavidA like this.
  16. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My Chevy Chevette had a foot switch on the far left. I hit that thing every single day, for many months, trying to figure on what the heck it did. Seemed to do absolutely nothing at all.

One day I got a letter in the mail from some woman in Germany. It was short and sweet - said "Cut it out!"

My apologies to comic Steven Wright.

fotomoto, Zythryn and El Dobro like this.
  17. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    In the world of menu-driven everything, I think manufacturers like BMW are still producing fairly sane interfaces. My friend just got a brand new BMW hardtop convertible and the dash controls looked so familiar and so many controls are done "right" as far as the perfect mixture of dedicated functions and multi-function controls defaulted to good sensible settings. Also the layout is great and not cluttered, the speedo and tach clocks are big and simple. Is this too much to ask? I guess so. In the world of cost cutting a single touch screen to do almost everything makes financial sense, but such UI is terrible for a vehicle. Cognitive load needs to be very low on most controls and most displays need to be in line of peripheral vision. As in analog speed clock with 70mph being at about 12 o'clock and the rest of the values in a circle. I do not need to take my eyes off the road to know my speed with such setup. If I have a smallish number written on a screen somewhere that's no good at all.

RCO likes this.
  18. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Average age of people complaining about the touch screen on this thread?

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  20. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Age has nothing to do with touch screens. Age has to do with wisdom of having low cognitive load on controls in the car. If I want to change the volume on the radio, it's easier to reach for the knob and twist it. I do not need to take my attention from the task of driving the car. If I need to go through several sub-menus on the screen to get to the volume control, then that control is useless in the application of a car radio. I am exaggerating here to make point, of course, as most cars do have knobs for radio volume. but to change an HVAC setting in my Prius I need to row through menus. That's annoying and dangerous. Again, in my Gen 2 Prius most common HVAC controls are brought out to the steering wheel to dedicated buttons. Thank the gods for that! But if I need to direct the air somewhere specific, I am SOL and need to use a hardware button, then some soft buttons that have no tactile queues at all and require my eyes on the touch screen. No good while driving. It's really pretty simple and not at all an age thing. Though younger folk complaining less about the menu driven UI is probably because they were brought up with that and expect it and really do not know any better. Heck, they think it's perfectly okay to text while driving. That does not make it right or good.