1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Model 3 has 310 mile range

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Jul 29, 2017.

1. Prius Maximus

Prius Maximus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I for one am glad that switch got moved - the floor boards on my '85 Omni Charger rotted away starting at that foot switch.

Old habits - I still occasionally find myself reaching for it with my foot.

2. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Age has everything to do with touch screens. Many "older" people I know do things on their touch screens at anywhere from 1/2 to 1/4 the speed as "younger" people. Have you ever watched a 1 year old intuitively know what to do with a tablet or smartphone?
    The fact is that they grew up with touch screens and the "older" generation did not. Also, finger and hand dexterity worsen as we age.

RCO likes this.
  3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    agreed in part, but tesla volumes are handled through roller wheels on the steering wheel, next to both thumbs - as are several other commands.
    Personal observation; there's a subset of drivers that can't find an old fashion knob to turn on a cars' heater. Another subset can drill through screen menus like fat folks through a warm apple pie. The norm necessarily won't include everybody.
    One of my amateur radio contacts in Michigan is an industrial psychologist. They're the pros hired to do group thinks. They determine what the majority are thinking - based on where it's easiest to find a feature's knob in a car. Still, he says, 20% will scratch their heads in exasperation, not able to follow suit with the majority.
    My better ½ couldn't find a control feature on her screen to save her life. Some drivers do extremely well accessing non-essential controls while some may end up in a ditch. Buyers will bitch if they can't input a GPS address while driving, then they want to sue when they crash - if the manufacturer decides it's okay to enable inputs while driving. No perfect answer.
    ........ Oh - 62

RCO, pilotgrrl and Prodigyplace like this.
  4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Would you want to watch those younger people use a tablet or phone from the passenger seat while they drive?

There is a difference between being able to do something well while that is the sole focus, and doing it while also having your attention engaged elsewhere. Driving is not an easy task. If it was, we would already have self driving cars.

RCO and VFerdman like this.
  5. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    None of you have to buy the Model 3, correct? Curious why you guys find it important to come on a Model 3 thread and complain about a feature that won't change no matter how much you complain. Oh, and again, none of you have to buy the car. That's the great thing about America!

Felt and bisco like this.
  6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Tesla autopilot, despite its warts, is a great equalizer for distracted/slow screen input drivers, who would otherwise end up in the ditch. Even with ever improving autopilot, Tesla's boilerplate (comes up on the screen upon engaging autopilot) boldly flashes a reminder to PAY ATTENTION. Maybe Tesla needs to add a few more words, like;
    "don't bother crying in the courts if your callus disregard kills/mames yourself &/or others"

RCO likes this.
  7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The beauty of dynamic cruise control and automatic collision braking is we have more time to fiddle with our iPhone and cabin controls.

Bob Wilson

HPrimeAdvanced, hill and pilotgrrl like this.
  8. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    This a complaint I had since the gen2 Prius, and touch screens are showing up in more and more cars.

And you didn't answer my question.

RCO likes this.
  9. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Like almost everything in life, *it depends on the user*.

I support people who chat in and ask, "How do I turn on my [flip] phone?" I kid you not. I have had this question multiple times.

And for the Luddites out there, yes, we have no hard copy manuals. I haven't seen a hard copy manual for any device I've bought - carrier locked or not - within the past 5 years. Maybe a quick start guide, but those are rare.

We are provided with comprehensive user manuals, although they are sometimes incorrectly translated into English {air con, anyone?}. We can choose to read them, or not. We have PriusChat, which is a great forum. We have TSS-P. We have a lot of good resources available to us.

We can complain about what we don't have or take advantage of what we do have.

I ask plenty of stupid questions, and I appreciate all the help.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  10. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I disagree strongly. I HATE (and I don't use that word lightly) that dial for navigating menus that BMW uses. Or did they change that?
    Other than that, the BMW layout is one of the better ones out there.
    After a week of the Model 3, for me, that is superior.
    Large digital readout of your speed is quicker to read than a dial and more specific.
    All information is easily seen without removing your eyes from the road. Voice plays a large part of this of course. But with voice, navigation is simple, using regular English phrases.

11. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Voice commands work pretty good. When my PiP was rear ended, the insurance company got me a new Impala for a loaner. On the way to work with it, an idiot blew through a Yield sign and I darn near creamed them. I must have hit the voice command button, for when I yelled a few choice words out of the window an angelic voice answered, "I'm sorry, I do not understand that command".

RCO, VFerdman and Prodigyplace like this.
  12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    maybe the angelique voice was one of the passengers you used to yell at - about changing the radio station

pilotgrrl and El Dobro like this.
  13. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I was called a luddite once because at the time, I didn't have any interest in owning a cell phone, even though I drove a plug-in car. :rolleyes:

14. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Likely the same reason you are discussing the Tesla model 3 here instead of in a Tesla user forum.

Trollbait and VFerdman like this.
  15. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I would imagine if the voice command did understand what I said, it would have been an unforgettable sight.

RCO, VFerdman and pilotgrrl like this.
  16. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I haven't had a landline in over 20 years. It became infeasible once I no longer owned a dwelling.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

HPrimeAdvanced and RCO like this.
  17. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    So what changed? Did you get a cell phone, or did you give up the plugin car?

Prodigyplace likes this.
  18. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Since just about everything is centered around them now, I got a smartphone. Quite frankly, I've had more exhilarating conversations with "ok Google" than I've had with my co-workers.

RCO, pilotgrrl and VFerdman like this.
  19. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    No, I wouldn't want to see the driver using their phone other than checking an occasional notification. That wouldn't bother me.

That comparison isn't really an apt one though considering a lot of people are hammering out text after text while driving on the road while using the touch screen on a Model 3 is only a button or two to do a task every so often. Also, aren't most buttons on the Model 3 touch screen much much bigger than your average phone button? I do understand what you are saying, but I don't think it's a very fair comparison.

Every once in a while I drive my parents newer GMC Acadia. That thing has so many buttons and knobs that even as a very tech savvy individual that drives it a fair amount I have trouble figuring out all of them.

20. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Invites to configure have been reported by non-owners, in California, Minnesota and the East Coast!!