1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Model S beta passes 150k miles

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by efusco, Mar 28, 2012.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not a lot to go on here, but Elon tweeted today that the Model S beta endurance vehicle had passed 150,000 miles in testing. That's 800 something miles a day, presumably on a dyno and some sort of automatic recharging system.

No word on range/capacity impact yet, but hopefully Elon will tell us more soon.

For those not in the know, George Blankenship posted some updates on the Model S in his blog yesterday that provides a few new tidbits. It's time to build your Model S | Blog | Tesla Motors

They've started finalizing design for some of the earliest Signature S buyers. Supposedly they'll be doing about 30 a day or so as they ramp up toward production. There are a couple of people over at Teslamotorsclub.com who've placed their orders. The design studio, online, has been updated to include interior color/material choices: Model S Design Studio | Tesla Motors

Each Model S will have "personal delivery" service, they'll bring it to wherever you want (presumably for the same delivery fee) with a Tesla customer service rep to tour the vehicle with you. That's good news as I was dreading the trip to Chicago to get the car and then having to figure out when/where I'd be able to charge to make it all the way home again. Not that such a trip is impossible, but with zero prior EV experience I didn't want to have to worry over those details until I know the car better.

They also have said you can now get satellite without having to get the pano roof (which previously they said was the only way to get the antenna). Still have to buy the upgraded stereo system to get satellite, which I don't like, but at least I don't have to pay another $1500 for the pano roof.

Getting pretty excited to finalize my order and, hopefully, take delivery come August or September.:rockon:

2. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  3. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure what you're asking:
    Model S Options and Pricing | Tesla Motors

I'm getting the standard, non-performance, 85kWh pack, probably standard paint and interior, with tech package, twin charger, probably upgraded stereo & an HPC.

Would like to add the Aero rims (but they're pricey @$1500) and upgraded interior (b/c of the heated 12 way seats moreso than b/c of the color/leather). But we're over $80k with all that and I just don't think my budget (meaning my wife! :eek:) is going to allow that.

1 person likes this.
  4. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    a ok 50k dollars,. 70k in your case with the biggest battey pack

maybe 40k euro over here.. thats cheaper then the volt/ampera and WAY WAY better looking.

maybe you need to stretch that budget a bit more......

is the prius going away? or a long distance car?

5. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Plan is to keep the Prius for now. Hoping to convince my wife to make it her daily driver as it gets double the MPG (at least) of her Highlander Hybrid. Then we'll keep the HH for family travel, hauling larger loads, towing, etc. She's at 100k miles on the HH, I'm on 120k on the Prius. Would prefer to just run the Prius into the ground until we can hand it down to our boys (they're almost 13 so will be driving in a few years) and/or buy my wife a new vehicle (maybe a Plug-in hybrid of some type).

6. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    you hit the jackpot? lottery:eek: love to have those cars AND the model S yout getting:)

7. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Lol. He works in one of the few growth industries in the USA: healthcare.

1 person likes this.
  8. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    While I certainly do OK financially, this is a HUGE stretch for our budget. We live pretty conservatively, putting most of our income into our homes/real estate and retirement as well as kids' college funds. So we don't have a lot of excess cash around.

We've been saving for the Tesla ever since getting home from our sabbatical...in fact, we'd hoped to stay budget neutral on that trip, but it ended up taking $40,000 out of our savings due to credentialing SNAFUs. that $40k would have gone a LONG way toward the Tesla.

As it is, we're hoping to have at least half (probably a bit more) of the cost of the Tesla in cash saved up by the time of delivery and we'll have to do a home equity or some other sort of loan for the balance...and we're none too happy about that. We haven't had any debt of any kind other than our real estate for over 10 years.

This is clearly not a "hit the lottery" purchase, but rather a purchase of passion for the technology and a financial vote of support for what Tesla is doing.

1 person likes this.
  9. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    credentialing SNAFUs?

10. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The hospital screwed up the paperwork for getting my medical license. I couldn't work for almost 3 months so we had to live off of our savings. We had been planning on that income for 3 months to keep from having to use our savings. Indeed we'd planned to save some of that income to pay for the last 2 months of our trip when we were not working, but traveling around the world.

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SNAFU"]SNAFU[/ame] - Situation Normal, All F***** Up

11. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    mistake hospital = they pay you not your saving
    that what I think

12. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    August or September. Sounds great! I can't remember, but I thought last time I asked, you were leaning toward the 60 kWh pack. That saves $10K compared to the 85 kWh. FWIW, for ten K I'd go with the bigger pack, too. But if price was an issue, I'd skip a lot of the fancy stuff. I'd get a plain stereo and use an iPod for music, no leather (I actually prefer cloth). I got an iPod Nano for the car.

The twin charger (IMHO) is only useful if you're going on the road with it and will have charging spots that can make use of it. And the HPC is only useful if you need to charge rapidly at home.

I have an RV-style outlet in the garage (240 v 50 a) and the UMC to match, and I believe I get roughly 30 miles of range for each hour of charging. If you're going to drive 300 miles and then have less than ten hours to charge, then the HPC is needed. Otherwise the UMC is adequate, and can travel with you for charging at RV parks. (I'm assuming the S will be close to the Roadster in efficiency.)

Anyway, I'm looking forward to reading all the new owner reports once the car hits the street. I might buy some more TSLA before that happens, just for giggles.

I hope yours arrives soon.

13. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    efusco congrats on the tesla purchase. It looks like a great car.

They will be selling i for way more than 40K euros in europe. The 40kwh pack won't be available until the end of the year, 85kwh cars are getting made first.

14. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Your advice is sound, Daniel.
    I decided to go with the 85kWh pack instead of paying for a replacement warranty to give me more range initially and I expect I'll still have 230+ miles in 7-8 years.

I may not need the twin chargers, but they're pretty darn cheap and it would be a pain to add later if I did decide I wanted it.

I don't care about the leather, and tend to like cloth too, but the only cloth option is solid black--which I hate, and the upgraded interior adds heated seats (important in this part of the country with an EV that may take a while to heat up in the winter). It also adds 12 way adjustable which is important as my age advances! But there's a good chance this won't make the budget cut.

I want the tech package...don't need it, but really really want it.

I don't want the upgraded stereo, but it's the only way to get the integrated satellite. I could add aftermarket, but I think that would look really clunky and stupid with such an advanced system.

The HPC is something I'll want and I think it will be easier to help others charge. Also, there will be times that I'll want to quickly top up charge.

We'll see exactly what the budget looks like when it comes time to officially place the order. I'd LOVE the performance, but can't justify the extra $10-15k to get it.

15. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sure you'll like the upgraded seats, that's one thing I really miss from my last car. Definitely worth the price to get it.

Hey with the performance pak, upgraded seats, rims, tires, and suspension are included:D It would make it hard for me to pass up. I'll see how the car car does in the next year, and then I might get the performance package:D

16. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm guessing the Performance trim line is the same as the Sport model of the Roadster: a hand-wound motor for slightly more torque and 0.2 seconds faster to sixty. I test-drove the Sport model and bought the non-Sport, and I cannot tell the difference, though a couple of weeks passed between.

I agree that 85 kWh is a good investment.

I can understand wanting the 12-way seats and the tech package.

Heat in the car is nearly instantaneous if it's anything like the Roadster. It takes literally about 15 seconds for the vents to be blowing hot, and in one minute the cab is warm enough that I take my hood or hat off if I'm using it. I hate heated seats, because my bum never gets cold. It's my hands and feet that get cold in cold weather. Heated seats will use less curent than the cabin heater, but range is not an issue for me. I can see wanting heated seats if your bum gets cold and range is an issue. But heated seats will do nothing to warm your hands, so in cold weather you'll still need to use your cabin heater unless you have hot hands.

I can see wanting the HPC if you anticipate other Tesla owners wanting to charge up at your house.

17. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My bum gets cold when I sit on a cold seat, not usually other times. But I suspect I could use less cabin heat with the seat heater. But hard to justify the cost. I hope range won't be an issue for me very often, but I do have several 200+ mile drives I do several times a year. I suspect I'll WANT to take the Tesla, but suspect, also, that I'll end up taking the Prius for practicality.

18. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I think that if your trips are 200 miles round-trip, or if you have time and certainty of a plug-in location (e.g. garage overnight at a family member's house and you can reach a dryer plug), then the 300-mile S will be entirely adequate for the trip. that's assuming you don't drive it the way I drive my Roadster. :D But I wouldn't drive the way I do if range was an issue. With the Xebra I drove gently if I needed to push my range, and I floored it otherwise.

If you have a family member 200 miles away who you visit regularly, it might be worthwhile to get them to install a 240-v outlet in their garage.

19. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Unfortunately the usual 200+ mile trips are ~220-230 miles on 75mph interstate and very hillly terrain and then I tend to go to ball games, hotels, museums and other less reliable places to charge. There are RV parks and a few EV chargers along the way.

20. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well, I guess you'll take all factors into account on each trip. One big difference with an electric car is that you have to know how far you're going to drive and how far your car can go at the kind of driving you'll be doing. People used to ask me, when I had the Xebra, "What if you run out of juice?" I replied, "If the car runs out of juice it stops. Just like your gas car stops if it runs out of gas. That's why I don't take the Xebra if I'm going more than 30 miles." (Which left me a 10-mile buffer.)

Even with public charging, I don't want to wait several hours in the middle of a trip. I might never see it, but some day you'll be able to drive all day on a charge, and then charge up overnight at a motel. That's when I'll give up the Prius.

I just noticed that on teslamotorsclub. That's a good sign. Don't forget to post when you get your call. Even though I'm not buying an S (not for now, anyway) I'm really excited for them to go into production and get reports from early buyers. The Roadster had very significant improvements from the 1.0 model to the 2.5 model, and I'm glad I waited and got the 2.5. Hopefully the S will get everything right the first time.